F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Didnt Sky introduce the F1 channel which went down the pan rapidly since people couldnt afford it. It'll just be a case of Deja-Vu where the figures will be amazingly shit on sky sports and they'll drop it from there programming.

Yet being a big fan of F1 I wouldnt pay to watch F1 on sky sports

Aah, the ill-fated F1 Digital channel from the early 00s. The difference there though, is that you could still watch the race on ITV at the same time, you just got different images due to using alternative cameras, and no adverts. Now, if you want to watch all of the races live, you'll need to have Sky Sports. There are no other options unless you avoid the internet and then watch an hour of highlights on BBC1 at 6pm (or you stream it online).

Of course, one of the major things to have come from that channel is the use of FOM controlling the world feed at all of the races apart from Monaco and Japan, plus they started giving the viewer far more things like race control message on screen and team radio. So from that experiment, not everything was a failure (though financially it was a bit of a train wreck).

Sky do what they do very well. I certainly enjoy the majority of sports that they show. Never seen much racing on there though tbh, so I'll wait and see how it is.

Big shame for a lot of people though.

I know it's not the same, but from what I've seen, they treat Indycar like absolute shite. They'll hopefully give F1 a bit more respect since it'll have a bigger audience though. Sky have said they'll make it an experience like we haven't seen before, but outside of trialling it in 3D, I'm not sure what else they can do that hasn't already been done by BBC.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's not the same, but from what I've seen, they treat Indycar like absolute shite. They'll hopefully give F1 a bit more respect since it'll have a bigger audience though. Sky have said they'll make it an experience like we haven't seen before, but outside of trialling it in 3D, I'm not sure what else they can do that hasn't already been done by BBC.

I've been impressed by BBC coverage this year. I've felt they've done a very good job.

Unless Sky give us naked women, I'm not sure why I'd enjoy it more on there.

I imagine Sky talking about more coverage than ever before will mean throwing in the extra cameras, 3D and interactive business that they usually do, as well as the whole Sky Sports News hyping of it in the week building up to races. A long shot may also be them getting hold of the various support races during the weekend like GP2 and making a whole deal about having a whole day of programming in the build up the GP which might sweeten the deal for more hardcore motorsport fans,

According to Martin Whitmarsh, Bernie has assured everyone that 'extended highlights' on BBC actually means the full race but later in the day.

That's the one olive branch in all this for me - if it's just a matter of avoiding the radio and watching the whole race later, then I'll do that. There's no way I'm paying Murdoch anything, even for F1.

Slowly, all the great sports slip into his grasp though. First cricket, now F1. They're the only sports I really want to watch live. And Sky's coverage is usually terrible - like with the cricket.

I can cope with watching half a season. Sky Sports wont keep this, they'll see a HUGE drop in figures Sky sports will drop F1 giving it back to the BBC or ITV.

Great Win for Button, hopefully the season will be flipped on its head now all three teams are just about equal

I no longer watch or care for F1 but my mum said this to me in passing

Her: Do you know we have a 3rd English driver now?

Me: .........

Her: He's called Paul Di Resta, that's a real English name isn't it *sarcasm*............and he's Scottish.

Brilliant :rolleyes:

That's the one olive branch in all this for me - if it's just a matter of avoiding the radio and watching the whole race later, then I'll do that. There's no way I'm paying Murdoch anything, even for F1.

Slowly, all the great sports slip into his grasp though. First cricket, now F1. They're the only sports I really want to watch live. And Sky's coverage is usually terrible - like with the cricket.

Hardly anyone gets up early to watch the Far East GPs so that'll take care of 6 of the 10 that BBC can't show live, although they might want the season opener in Australia. They'll just show them at lunchtime.

Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are rubbish anyway so that gets us up to 8.

For sure, he looks like a natural.

Another great Grand Prix. Button's win on his 200th GP is such a nice thing, everyone seemed genuinely happy for him. Got to feel a bit sorry for Hamilton though, the wrong the wrong tire choice after a spot of rain and his chances of a win were gone.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jenson Button as a driver but his wins are great just for the emotional reactions of his dad and his girlfriend. It's a refreshing change from Lewis' annoying dad and brother.

Even though there is a runaway leader I can't think of a season which has been more exciting. Seems like the BBC are going out on a high note.

Just to give an idea of Vettel's lead at this point, even if Hamilton, Button, Alonso and Webber manage to beat Vettel into 5th in each of the upcoming 8 races, leaving him with 314 points, it would still take at least the following to beat him:

Webber: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3 = 315 points

Hamilton: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3 = 315 points

Alonso: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2 = 317 points

Button: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3 = 314 points (wins on victory count)

Of course, it was obvious that the task of catching him up would be big, but it's interesting to see just how good one of these drivers is going to have to be unless Vettel or RBR fucks up badly and makes it easier for them.

• Paid Members
Great Win for Button, hopefully the season will be flipped on its head now all three teams are just about equal

If all three teams are equal, and Red Bull/Vettel are massively in the lead with only 8 races left, how on Earth can this season be flipped on it's head?

Comes down the drivers since the McLarens car is finally up to spec they can give Red Bull a run for there money.

God knows, for all we know Red Bull could have a copy of all Ferrari's plans stashed away and get caught then forfit the constructors championship and Vettel could do a Schumacher and try to ram someone off intentionally and cost themself the world championship

That's pretty impressive stuff. I don't think the Red Bull or Vettel are doing that badly. We're making out like Vettel's on the verge of throwing away the title, but after over half of the season gone, his worst finishing position is 4th and his championship lead was extended after today's race. He's less than a race win away from scoring more points than he did in the entirety of the 2010 season. He's consistently scoring strong points I fully expect him to win at least one or two more races before the conclusion of the season. Let's face it, he can afford to not bother showing up until Japan and he'll still be leading the world championship.

The key thing for any of the scenarios above is that it requires drivers to be consistently winning or finishing second, and with five drivers in contention, it means that everyone else is continuing to take points of everyone else.

In some respects, that's what helped Button win the title in 2009. After his incredible start, once Brawn slipped back a bit in the development race, you had Mclaren and Ferrari making a comeback and winning races which put a stop to Rubens and the Red Bulls from being able to claw back the points needed. Sebastian Vettel is a smart driver, he'll know exactly what he needs to do. Provided he doesn't hit a terrible run of bad form with reliability, he can keep scoring points, pick up podiums and win the title.

About today, it was a great race and it felt strange to watch an eventful Hungarian GP. The weather certainly played it's role, and it was great to see so many drivers in contention for the win and different strategies being played out. Button deserved the win and it was nice to see his 200th race have such a positive note for him. Hamilton was a bit unlucky with the wrong tyre choice but from what we heard after the race, that was his decision. I get quite into a race and was determined that Hamilton should get a penalty when he did. On reflection, I'm not jumping up and down and telling the world he deserves it, but he was trying to maintain the lead of the race (or at least not lose ground to Button and keep Vettel behind) and didn't check for oncoming traffic. If he had hit Di Resta, it would have been incredibly messy.

Heidfeld's incident was VERY unusual. I can't think of a sidepod exploding like that before and I hope the marshal who took a whack to his legs from some flying debris isn't badly injured.

Archived