F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful week to be a fan of motorsport. To have one death is bad enough, but two high profile deaths within 7 days has no doubt sent shockwaves through the motorsport community.

Absolutely horrible accident. I'm not a huge fan of MotoGP and drift in and out of races over the past 7 or 8 years but this sucks. He'd brought some excitement to the season and it's a great shame that he wasn't be around anymore. So young as well...

RIP Simoncelli

• Paid Members

How many F1 races has Kartheikeyan had this season?

Did anyone see Coulthard driving the Red Bull around the dirt track yesterday. It was during a piece about the new track in Texas. Really enjoyed that. Would anyone have a link to extended footage of it?

Karthikeyan is the pits. He held up pretty much the whole top order whilst being lapped yesterday; I bet he got the cold shoulder from a lot of drivers after the race.

Button had a cracker again. He managed to keep within 5 seconds of Vettel for the whole race, when the rest of the field were miles off. They'll be building next year's McLaren around him for sure.

Hamilton and Massa are certainly building quite the rivalry now, aren't they? I bet Alonso is stirring the pot too, the dirty Spaniard. If Hamilton's finally ditched that American skank, maybe he can get back to being a great racing driver. For what it's worth, I thought this one was Massa's fault, but it was touch and go.

I'm really going to miss the F1 when the season's over. Mrs Loki and I watch all the quallies and the race together, it's become a central point of our weekends.

I could have sworn I wrote a reply to that this morning. Seemingly not...

Karthikeyan has had 9 races this year. He raced in the first 8 rounds of the championship (7 if you don't include the pathetic amount of running they had in Australia) and was then replaced at Silverstone by Daniel Ricciardo for the remainder of the season. From what I gather, his sponsors put together money for him to pretty much buy his seat back for this weekend so he could race at his home Grand Prix, which is fair enough.

However, he's a bit on the shit side. Yes, his pace was consistent and relatively good compared to Ricciardo, but he lacks race craft and, as pointed out, he managed to hold a lot of people up.

I would have much rather seen Karun Chandhok racing for Lotus in the place of Trulli. I know the team are going for 10th in the championship and need to keep stringing together the strong results, but they've mainly come through Heikki in the past few races. Why not ditch Trulli for this race, let Karun take part in his home race to please the fans and everyone wins.

Hamilton's in a difficult place. He's had a poor year by his standards, has had numerous incidents and is facing being beaten by his team mate for the first time in F1. Button's made Mclaren into his team and I don't know whether Lewis can mentally deal with that. If he's in the right frame of mind, then next year will be fascinating to watch to see how he bounces back.

Weren't a bad race by any standards and for a Tilke track I though was okay, had some exciting bits and everything! It reminded me a lil of Hockenheim before they bollocksed it with the long straights and windy bit near the end.

Could be fun in the wet, especially with all that dust

Another imperious drive for Vettel, and Jenson really is doing a good job in a sow's ear of a car.

Hamilton needs to get his shit together, Im not entirely sure who is to blame, but Hamilton was drifting in to Massa, with the assumption he had the place, and thus the racing line, even though he wasnt ahead. Ergo the only options would have forced Massa wide, forced one of the drivers to back off or have a coming to as per what happened in the end

Weren't a bad race by any standards and for a Tilke track I though was okay, had some exciting bits and everything! It reminded me a lil of Hockenheim before they bollocksed it with the long straights and windy bit near the end.

Could be fun in the wet, especially with all that dust

Another imperious drive for Vettel, and Jenson really is doing a good job in a sow's ear of a car.

Hamilton needs to get his shit together, Im not entirely sure who is to blame, but Hamilton was drifting in to Massa, with the assumption he had the place, and thus the racing line, even though he wasnt ahead. Ergo the only options would have forced Massa wide, forced one of the drivers to back off or have a coming to as per what happened in the end

I quite like the track. Unlike most of Tilke's tracks, it isn't boring and too predictable. The middle section of 5th gear twists is a thing of beauty to watch and as Brundle was saying on commentary, if they can sort the dust out in some way for next year, those wide sections at Turn 4 will be an orgy of overtaking with drivers taking any line they please.

I know what you're saying about Hamilton. I'm still not sold on the idea that Massa was to blame, and I think leaving it as a racing incident and not penalising either driver would have been fairer. I think with any other driver (with the exception of the Red Bulls and Alonso) would have given Hamilton the corner, but because it was Massa and they've spent most of the season banging wheels, I think that in his mind, he wasn't going to give up.

It always bothers/amazes me when people get a seat due to financial clout rather than ability. The Indy 500 allows wildcard entrants too doesn't it?

Money talks in motorsport, especially at that end of the grid. You have to have some sort of talent to get to F1, but there are plenty of other drivers around F1 who are more deserving of a drive who can't get a look in because they don't bring sponsorship money.

It always bothers/amazes me when people get a seat due to financial clout rather than ability. The Indy 500 allows wildcard entrants too doesn't it?

That's how all motorsport works. To a slightly lesser extent in F1 than the rest of the sport as probably most of the drivers in the top 5 or 6 teams are getting paid, but certainly in other disciplines the majority of drivers are either paying for the drive themselves, or have sponsorship that covers it.

I always used to feel a bit sorry for Bruno Senna having to live up to his uncle's name, for example. But then when you think he is only in F1 because of who is uncle was, and the money that surname brings, then you don't really.

Why is it that Tilke has designed pretty much ALL the new tracks? It's only this last one that's any good. Is there not more than one race track designer in the world?

Speaking of new grands prix, I did a little bit of a sex wee when they announced a street race in New Jersey - how amazing is that going to be!

The race this weekend was one of the better races for a while, personally I liked the fact that the corners widened before turning in which will cause more overtaking possibilties.

As far Hamilton, if I was him I would already be thinking about 2012 and how to improve not just his performances but himself as a person again. Maybe its time now that he has patched things up with his father that he started using him again as a manager instead if this 19 Management (IIRC) who he is signed to.

Looking forward even more to the race in the Austin next year especially after seeing Coulthards report and im loving the hill climb from the start which reminds me of a circuit I used to love in the Austrian A1 Ring.

The proposed circuit for New York/New Jersey can be found here http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/08/03/new-...track-new-york/ looks a bit like Monaco IMO.

Raikonnen to Williams for next season seems likely. Surely he can get a seat at a better team than Williams though? I used to be a Williams fanatic, but they're a shell of the team they once were.

The proposed circuit for New York/New Jersey can be found here http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/08/03/new-...track-new-york/ looks a bit like Monaco IMO.

That reminds me of a cross between Montreal, which I love and Detroit from c1991 which was shite so remains to be seen

The 3d version of the Texas Circuit linked here, reminds me of the Roller Coaster track on

.. Im not kidding either

Archived