F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Amazed they even pulled him out in one piece

Was it seen what angle/position did his car go into the fence at then? Read reports his car was on fire after the crash. No wish to watch the replays (was recording race before I switched over about an hour after and will be deleting it) but sounds like something rather terrible given the super speedway Indy accidents people have survived in recent years.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really sad news. Wheldon was a hugely talented guy. RIP. :(

Don't click the link below if you don't want to see the crash up close.

Some of the news papers are carrying an utterly horrible shot of the incident

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Wheldon+dea...8782/story.html

As per above on the clicking crashing advice

RIP Dan Wheldon.

In some 16 years of being a motorsport fan, I've never witnessed a fatal accident whilst watching the race live. I've seen previous accidents thanks to YouTube but this one really stings. This year I promised to watch more racing, including the full Indycar season, not just the 500.

I don't think anyone is used to seeing this sort of thing...on the one hand, we're incredibly lucky that it was only one fatality. That accident was huge and it's amazing that the majority of the drivers walked away. I don't think I want to watch a replay of that again for a long time.

The 5 lap tribute seemed a bit of a strange thing to do, but it felt so right. The bagpipes playing Amazing Grace set me off, and I'm still pretty stunned by it all now.

Days like these make me question my love for motorsport.

Was it seen what angle/position did his car go into the fence at then?

I'll save you the issue of watching the replay, because it's horrid. But his car goes in vertically on it's right side, cockpit exposed, into the fence. The entire crash he was pinballed by other drivers unable to control their cars and becomes a victim of something he had no hand in, huge tragedy.

• Moderators

I read on another board, from someone who knows someone who worked the track (so it could be bullshit), that when they pulled him out there was no chance. Horrific injuries to his skull and neck/spine.

I read on another board, from someone who knows someone who worked the track (so it could be bullshit), that when they pulled him out there was no chance. Horrific injuries to his skull and neck/spine.

Considering the way he went into the catch rail I don't think that's going to be far from the truth. It's amazing he wasn't dead as they removed him from the car.

Unfortunately last night was the first ever Indy race I'd ever watched and I really wish I hadn't. Feel so sorry for his wife and his kids (One is a new born I believe) but hope this accident brings in whatever safety changes are needed to hopefully avoid a repeat.

A few days since the accident and it just hasn't sunk in what has happened to Dan Wheldon. Thoughts and condolances to the entire family at this trgic time.

Last time I saw a death during a live race was in 2001 when Dale Earnhardt was killed on the last lap of the Daytona 500. Since then in Nascar the safety aspects for the cars, tracks and the Hans Device have made this sport a much safer place.

For example the safer barrier installed at all Nascar tracks helps absorb the impact and takes most of the energy away when a car hits it and huge speeds. The Hans Device has provided safety for the head and neck area to assist with the side head restraints with the seat.

I am convinced that had none of these safety measures been put in place, we could have had two fatalities this weekend in Motorsport because the way in which 5 time Nascar Champion Jimmie Johnson hit the barrier at Charlotte on Saturday night, he could quite easily have been killed also. That was a sick crash in itself.

The speeds in which the Indy Cars race at, which include the mile and a half ovals like Vegas and Texas for example, it's no wonder how a very serious accident didn't happen sooner. Incredible to think that these machines are faster than an F1.

RIP Dan Wheldon, you will be sorely missed.

I was in Vegas this weekend where it was held, and heard the same thing from somebody involved in the promotion of the parade of cars they had on the Strip Friday night.

Really sad news this, it was a horrible thing to watch. As I was too young to remember Senna, and I wasn't really aware of how big Nascar or Dale Earnhardt was back in 2001 so this is the first real big car-racing fatality I've seen, and it's quite affecting. It's weird really, you get all these wrestlers dying young, often through steroid abuse and after a period of time you get used to it and it doesn't really surprise you any more. But with motor racing, which let's be honest is a heck of a lot more dangerous even this days, any death is a massive shock.

He was a great driver, and I was surprised how quickly he did well in the IRL because I'd never really heard of him before he came in to the series. His two Indy 500 wins have been mentioned a lot, but he was always up there at the big race, and he came second the two years before this one in a right dog of a car. I guess he, like Dario suffered from the fact that for most (car) racing fans and media in Britain, the sport doesn't really exist outside of F1 and British Touring Cars. But that doesn't really matter now.

I don't think I'll ever forget his win at this year's 500, it was one of the most amazing finishes to a race I've seen, and I was jumping out of my chair and shouting at the telly when Hildebrand went off and Wheldon came through, which is something I never do. I think that victory, the subsequent PR tour he did with his wife and kids, the great commentary and grid walks he did for Versus on a couple of races, and the fact the commentators spoke to him over the team radio on the warm-up laps 10 minutes before the crash all add to the poignancy of it all.

Sky have got a tribute programme on Thursday night at 10pm if anybody is interested.

R.I.P.

Marco simoncelli has died after a crash in the malaysian motogp race

He was 24

R.I.P

What the hell? saw a news flash that there had been a red flag and flicked over from rugby to check all okay. The commentators seemed in an upbeat mood talking about the restart and riders waving at the camera so I assumed it wasn't serious so flicked back. What the fuck happened?

Archived