F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Raikonnen to Williams for next season seems likely. Surely he can get a seat at a better team than Williams though? I used to be a Williams fanatic, but they're a shell of the team they once were.

From what I've seen, he's taking this drive because he misses F1. Also, it's a relatively low-pressure situation for him. There won't be a requirement for him to come into the team and be fighting for wins and podiums, but hopefully he'll be able to help bring Williams back up the grid slightly into a more competitive position. Throw in the fact that the drivers market for 2013 is pretty wide open at the top end, and it's a logical thing. Webber isn't guaranteed a seat at Red Bull, Massa probably won't be resigned, Schumacher's contract runs out next year and he may decide to retire and there are probably one or two other seats available. If he can prove himself to still have the speed in a car and beat his team mate (who will most likely be Maldonado) then one of the top teams can take him.

It's a win-win situation. We get another world champion on the grid with a point to prove, Williams get the exposure of Kimi driving for them and the top teams can assess whether Kimi still has the pace to drive for a top team.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God I hope he does come back as I've always been a huge fan of his. I'm hoping that if he does go to Williams that it increases their exposure and sponsorship money which will hopefully mean an improved car and potential battles with Schumacher, Rosberg, Kubica (if he's back?) and Kobiyashi.

• 2 weeks later...

SO missed the GP this weekend with being in the middle of nowhere when it was one

Thoughts?

What's brewing between Bernie and the Texas owners? The BBC seems to think that next years GP there is under threat

In other news, another Race Driver has been killed in competative action.

Guido Falaschi, 22 in the Argentinan Turismo Carretera races in a Ford Falcon

Crash footage. (Dont watch if offended)

RIP

You didn't really miss much in the race. DRS was a bit of a joke to me. Yes, there was overtaking but a large part of it was the driver behind passing in the first zone, and the other driver then taking the position back on the next straight. That does nothing for me.

I don't really like Abu Dhabi races anyway. They're yet to produce a good race in my eyes, which is a shame because it should be a good track.

I spotted that crash on Autosport forums earlier this evening and watched the link because I didn't know a thing about the driver, the racing formula etc. Wow...that was pretty nasty to watch. I think what shocks me the most is that the drivers who are driving towards the crash don't even seem to show a hint of lifting off the throttle and keep it floored as they go past. I watched it and instantly said "Where are the yellows?" and waited for a good while for marshals to react. The subsequent impacts that Falaschi took were nasty, and I'm not surprised there's been another fatality in motorsport.

It's a great shame to see another driver die and 22 is no age at all. RIP

I always used to feel a bit sorry for Bruno Senna having to live up to his uncle's name, for example. But then when you think he is only in F1 because of who is uncle was, and the money that surname brings, then you don't really.

Except his name isn't actually Bruno Senna, it's Bruno Lalli. He's taken the Senna name to get himself noticed and into F1 in the first place. While I think he's done a good enough job in the Renault, he's certainly nowhere near race-winning calibre never mind a Champion. Certainly a man using the Senna name to get himself into F1 in the first place, because without it he'd be nothing more than a lower-formula also-ran.

Raikonnen is doing the typical riddle-wrapped-in-an-enigma thing by taking the drive at Williams, I'd agree with whoever mentioned the 2013 driver market, and would be hugely surprised if he's signed anything other than a 1-year deal designed to give Williams a bit of exposure while giving Kimi some options when 2013 rolls round. He's come back to F1 with his tail between his legs after the Rally/NASCAR/whatever else they'll let him drive debacle.

• Paid Members
SO missed the GP this weekend with being in the middle of nowhere when it was one

Thoughts?

What's brewing between Bernie and the Texas owners? The BBC seems to think that next years GP there is under threat

In other news, another Race Driver has been killed in competative action.

Guido Falaschi, 22 in the Argentinan Turismo Carretera races in a Ford Falcon

Crash footage. (Dont watch if offended)

RIP

Yeesh. I think the third hit was the one that settled it. Poor guy.

• 2 weeks later...

With it being the last race of the year, a lot of news has started coming out about the TV coverage for next year

BBC announces Formula One coverage plans for 2012

In 2012, the BBC will broadcast live coverage of the Grands Prix in

15 April: China

13 May: Spain

27 May: Monaco

24 June: Europe

8 July: Britain

2 September: Belgium

23 September: Singapore

14 October: Korea

4 November: Abu Dhabi

25 November: Brazil

There's a couple of prestige ones in there, but it does seem a fair few of the races that are usually the dullest and most processional of the year have been fobbed of to the BBC

and for the races they're not showing

Qualifying highlights will be 75 minutes long for each race, while early morning Grands Prix (such as in the Far East) will be recapped in two hours of highlights at 2pm on the day. European time zone races will be shown in 90 minutes of highlights at 5.30pm.

Not too keen on the 90 minute programmes as you probably won't get much more racing than in the hour long BBC highlights now, as they'll probably cram in a load of video packages and interviews to justify sending their crew over to races.

as for Sky

Sky confirmed that it will launch its first channel dedicated to just one sport next March, with Sky Sports F1 to broadcast live coverage of all Grands Prix, practice sessions and qualifying, along with associated programming.

Will be interesting to see how they actually fill a whole channel with it.

From what I gather, the Sky Sports F1 channel will only be live during race weekends, so it'll be dead air for the vast majority of the time. They'll fill the actual race weekends with all of the F1 sessions, a Legends series of shows and plenty of in-depth features and such. It's not known yet if they'll take all of the support races as well, but if I were Sky, I'd be trying to get those to fill the channel out a bit.

They're definitely missing a trick to create a channel like Speed in the USA. Sky already have the TV rights for Indycar and Speedway, they could probably try and pick up NASCAR, V8s, ILMS and various other categories and have a near-round the clock motorsport channel.

The BBC selection of races is a bit of a strange one, and I'd love to know how the selection process actually worked. They'd obviously already said they want Monaco, Britain and the last race of the season, but they've essentially got the bog-standard European races and snoozefests like Valencia. I'm amazed they didn't get Canada though, I would have thought they'd be clawing to get that.

No idea who will be on commentary next year either. The rumour mill is suggesting that Crofty and Brundle will be the commentators for Sky. If they keep Coulthard as colour commentator, I can't think of who they'd get in to lead BBC commentary unless they brought back Legard.

It's nothing short of a disaster for me, without Sky. The BBC's coverage over the last few years has been superlative, and it just won't be the same without Brundle, if he does move to Sky, plus the highlight shows will be crap in comparison with watching live. I also agree that the Beeb's got a less than handsome selection of races there!

I have to echo the 'it's shit, what the fuck were they doing when they picked it out?' argument. Reading around they had 3 choices each so it ended like this which is why it seems odd

So 123 BBC, 456 Sky, 789 BBC, 101112 Sky and so on.

Not looking forward to next season, and hoping that streams are available

Archived