F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
He didn't give a shit really. Crashed a lot early on, lost interest and didn't even bother turning up to a couple of rounds this year that he was supposed to drive in. He was only there in the first place because he couldn't get a seat in a top F1 team, and his Red Bull sponsorship enabled him a free drive in the WRC. As far as I know, it was only ever a temporary thing.

Has hasn't really done much in rallying this year because he's been driving in NASCAR. That didn't go very well either when, during one race, his drinks bottle failed and the car was over-heating under him. All he did was piss and moan on the radio that he was thirsty and his feet were on fire.

Should be exciting next season with so many ex-World Champions on the grid.

I not so sure Renault will be so keen to allow Raikonnen to swan off and take part in Rallying though.

He didn't really want to do rallying in the first place, so I can't see why he'd still do it now he's back in F1.

• Paid Members

He raced in the Lapland Rally in early 2009 and (I think) at least one of the stages in the WRC during the actual Formula 1 season. It's fair to say Rallying is at the very least a hobby of his.

Renault should ban him from going anywhere near a rally car.

So why DID he go and do it then? Did Ferrari drop him in favour of Alonso, and he left in a sulk?

He couldn't get a drive in a top team for 2010, so with his Red Bull sponsorship grabbed a drive in a works Citroen in the WRC instead. He obviously fancied rallying at the time, but it certainly never lived up to his expectations, and he quickly lost interest, crashing in most rounds and not re-starting when he had the opportunity.

I'm surprised he came back for 2011, as I believe the original intention was for him to take Webber's seat at Red Bull this past season, but that never worked out with how well Webber performed in 2010. That stuck him in the WRC where by now he REALLY didn't give a shit, and didn't bother turning up for a couple of rounds he was registered for. Hence now he is just looking for any decent opportunity in F1 so has gone for a very middle-of-the-road Lotus Renault team.

He raced in the Lapland Rally in early 2009 and (I think) at least one of the stages in the WRC during the actual Formula 1 season. It's fair to say Rallying is at the very least a hobby of his.

Renault should ban him from going anywhere near a rally car.

Rallying was an interest/hobby of his. But now he has actually done it, I don't think it matters whether he has been told not to drive rallies because I doubt he'll go anywhere near it anytime soon.

• Paid Members
He couldn't get a drive in a top team for 2010, so with his Red Bull sponsorship grabbed a drive in a works Citroen in the WRC instead. He obviously fancied rallying at the time, but it certainly never lived up to his expectations, and he quickly lost interest, crashing in most rounds and not re-starting when he had the opportunity.

That's wrong actually. He was contracted to Ferrari for another year but he didn't want to be there and they didn't want him so they bought him out. He got a hefty sum, hence why he's been fannying around since he left F1, and Alonso came in to replace him.

Ouch.

So the Beeb lose Brundle, but also Ted Kravitz who's excellent, and David Croft who could conceivably have replaced Brundle for the BBC.

Martin Brundle must have scored a sweet deal - I imagine he must be one of the highest paid sports commentators in the world now!

• 1 month later...

Quite a bit has happened in the last few weeks. Both Toro Rosso drivers are out after proving themselves to "not be race-winners", Kimi's back in at Lotus with Grosjean and we've only got two seats left up for grabs. It's anyone's guess as to who gets the Williams seat with it supposedly being between Rubens, Senna and Sutil. HRT no doubt goes to the highest bidder.

So as things, this is our grid for 2012...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

1. Sebastian Vettel

2. Mark Webber

3. Jenson Button

4. Lewis Hamilton

5. Fernando Alonso

6. Felipe Massa

7. Michael Schumacher

8. Nico Rosberg

9. Kimi Raikkonen

10. Roman Grosjean

11. Paul di Resta

12. Nico Hulkenberg

14. Kamui Kobayashi

15. Sergio Perez

16. Daniel Ricciardo

17. Jean-Eric Vergne

18. Pastor Maldonado

19. TBC

20. Heikki Kovalainen

21. Jarno Trulli

22. Pedro de la Rosa

23. TBA

24. Timo Glock

25. Charles Pic

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Both of Spain's races look to potentially be under threat as Valencia seeks to renegotiate its race deal after revealing they've been losing far too much money on the race (and sending a worldwide audience to sleep at the same time). The Catalunya track then revealed today that they're looking at reconsidering their race due to the economic climate in Spain at the moment. If they're both struggling as much as they are, I can perhaps see them coming to an arrangement to alternate between venues like we have in Germany with the Ring and Hockenheim.

Bahrain looks like it's at risk of being cancelled again with human rights groups asking the teams to boycott the race. The country still isn't stable and I wouldn't be surprised if we're not racing there again this year.

Anyone looking at trying to go to a race in 2012? If all goes well, I'll be heading to Hockenheim as it's another excuse to go to Germany for me. I just need to teach my brother some basic German so I don't spend the entire trip playing translator. Might go to one of the Renault World Series events too. They're not running in the UK this year for a couple of reasons, but there are plenty of other rounds that I might check out.

How is Massa still at Ferrari?

To be honest, he's lucky to still have that drive for this season. A large part of it comes down to the fact that there's no one on the market who is suitable to replace him and be a solid number 2 driver at Ferrari. Anyone that Ferrari have said they're interested in is under contract with the exception of Kubica, who is still unproven as to whether he'll ever return. 2013 looks like that'll be when there's a major shake-up of the driver market with Webber and Massa looking likely to move on freeing up two top seats and well over half a dozen drivers potentially fighting for them.

Archived