F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a really great game, but you need plenty of time on your hands to play it as it's a real simulator, and requires a lot of practice to drive the cars without computer aid.

What do people think of Hamilton's situation at the moment? He plays it cool in interviews, but the accidents are starting to rack up and he's looking quite dangerous out there. Stirling Moss has said that he goes too far. What do people think?

It's a really great game, but you need plenty of time on your hands to play it as it's a real simulator, and requires a lot of practice to drive the cars without computer aid.

What do people think of Hamilton's situation at the moment? He plays it cool in interviews, but the accidents are starting to rack up and he's looking quite dangerous out there. Stirling Moss has said that he goes too far. What do people think?

I think with the Hamilton case, its a fact that he's falling further and further behind the Red Bulls. So in desperation hes trying even harder than previously which means hes more prone to making mistakes, unfortunately mistakes that one day may either cost him his life or someone else's.

Personally I have to rate Button's drive as one of the greatest of all time and the GP in general as one the best wet weather ones ever.

More than impressed with Schumi's performance, was shades of his heyday and for the love of God someone in Ferrari, Mclaren or Red Bull take serious note and give him a car that is capable of winning GP's and he will do it.

I think with the Hamilton case, its a fact that he's falling further and further behind the Red Bulls. So in desperation hes trying even harder than previously which means hes more prone to making mistakes, unfortunately mistakes that one day may either cost him his life or someone else's.

Personally I have to rate Button's drive as one of the greatest of all time and the GP in general as one the best wet weather ones ever.

More than impressed with Schumi's performance, was shades of his heyday and for the love of God someone in Ferrari, Mclaren or Red Bull take serious note and give him a car that is capable of winning GP's and he will do it.

Hamilton looked to have the racing line on both occasions on Sunday though. Both Webber and Button made mistakes to leave an overtake open and then tried to slam the door shut again after Hamilton had moved into the gap. IMO Hamilton wasnt the one being aggressive on either occasion.

Hamilton looked to have the racing line on both occasions on Sunday though. Both Webber and Button made mistakes to leave an overtake open and then tried to slam the door shut again after Hamilton had moved into the gap. IMO Hamilton wasnt the one being aggressive on either occasion.

He did? Lewis was going for a non existent gap vs Webber and was pretty much at fault as the car lost control after coming down from the raised kerb in the wet

See here

Second one Jenson is already closing the gap towards the wall and Lewis tries to go through a non existent gap again, see here

I think Lewis is a 'red rag to a bull' at the moment, he hasnt got his race head on and is becoming a liability. There is being 'brave and bold' ,and then there is being Takuma Sato about the whole thing

He did? Lewis was going for a non existent gap vs Webber and was pretty much at fault as the car lost control after coming down from the raised kerb in the wet

See here

Second one Jenson is already closing the gap towards the wall and Lewis tries to go through a non existent gap again, see here

I think Lewis is a 'red rag to a bull' at the moment, he hasnt got his race head on and is becoming a liability. There is being 'brave and bold' ,and then there is being Takuma Sato about the whole thing

:confused: Hamilton had the inside line, hed already gained the line from Webber and Webber tried to force him back out without giving him any space. Webber was far too wide going into the bend and lost his ground, he cant just take the ground back when a cars filled it.

:confused: Hamilton had the inside line, hed already gained the line from Webber and Webber tried to force him back out without giving him any space. Webber was far too wide going into the bend and lost his ground, he cant just take the ground back when a cars filled it.

He lost it coming off the kerb, because of the rain, wrong tires, speed going too far over the kerb or whatever, if he had it 'under control' then he wouldnt have spacked into Webber would he?

I cede the point about racing lines, though looks like Webber was going wide and then to under cut out of the next one, but that's pure speculation :p

Still stand by my Hamilton is morphing into Sato comment

What I would like to see is Kobayashi in a decent car. Now that would be something

He lost it coming off the kerb, because of the rain, wrong tires, speed going too far over the kerb or whatever, if he had it 'under control' then he wouldnt have spacked into Webber would he?

I cede the point about racing lines, though looks like Webber was going wide and then to under cut out of the next one, but that's pure speculation :p

Still stand by my Hamilton is morphing into Sato comment

What I would like to see is Kobayashi in a decent car. Now that would be something

I dont really see where Hamilton lost it off the kerb but just like every racing incident opinions can be split, thats why racing drivers never admit to fault.

I just dont think you can criticise someone for trying to aggressively overtake if you dont criticise drivers for aggressively trying to stop overtakes.

Hamilton's admitted fault on the Button one, I think I read earlier. Even if he'd got his nose ahead ahead, which he hadn't, where was he going to go at the corner? Button would still have made the apex first. He saw a gap, started in, but didn't back out when it became obvious the chance had gone.

Hamilton's admitted fault on the Button one, I think I read earlier. Even if he'd got his nose ahead ahead, which he hadn't, where was he going to go at the corner? Button would still have made the apex first. He saw a gap, started in, but didn't back out when it became obvious the chance had gone.

The button one ill give you but I think he only apologised as it was his team mate. Drivers shouldn't be allowed to just force cars out when they are being overtaken though, if a cars taken a part of your track then you need to give it to him and try and out race him.

Why? You're allowed to make one defensive move when you're being overtaken. Even if Button saw Hamilton and that was his defensive move, Hamilton had time to back out of the overtake.

It's a fine line, but I think if you've got track position, i.e you're in front and on the racing line, then it's up to the other person to make a big move that immediately gets them alongside you. In my opinion, Hamilton wasn't close to doing that.

I love how calm the drivers managers (forgot the technical term) are when talking to the drivers during the race.

Yeah ive noticed this, it must be to keep the drivers calm and relaxed, its almost a soothing voice in their ear. Arnt the guys on the radio just the spanner monkeys though relaying info?

I love how calm the drivers managers (forgot the technical term) are when talking to the drivers during the race.

Yeah ive noticed this, it must be to keep the drivers calm and relaxed, its almost a soothing voice in their ear. Arnt the guys on the radio just the spanner monkeys though relaying info?

They're the driver's race engineer. They're usually the person in the actual team that the driver is closest too, which is something that has been especially noticeable with Rob Smedley and Felipe Massa (we all remember "Felipe, baby, stay cool"). This article is an interview of sorts with Andrew Shovlin from 2007 where he talks about the role of the race engineer. http://www.f1technical.net/features/3645

Interestingly, I just looked up Andrew Shovlin on Wikipedia. For some strange reason, he doesn't have an English page but does have a German page (which I can still understand so it's all good). I knew we shared the same birthday, but didn't know that he was born in Liverpool and also went to Leeds University. Maybe it's just me being me and being a super F1 gee, but that's pretty cool for me.

Archived