F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

Photos have been approved by VR (I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the back of the car or the gearbox) so here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/36q4du4

A combination of mine and my mate's photos so some are exactly the same but just from a slightly different angle and are very geeky.

Aww, bless! Virgin Racing think another team might want to copy their diffuser or gearbox! :p I think if another team did want to copy tech, they'd go look at a Red Bull of MacLaren...

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I worry about this, because in my opinion his last few circuits have been as dull as ditchwater!

What can you really do with a flat bit of desert or a street circuit though? At least this one has a bit of elevation change.

The last time he had that he came up with Istanbul which is a nice circuit. Before that the A1-Ring (although slaughtering a once great track) stacked up well as a circuit.

I can see a mirror image of Turn 8 at Istanbul in there, the Maggotts/Becketts complex from Silverstone and a few tight corners at the end of the straights so on paper it should be good. The drag up to the first corner should be a laugh as well.

20 races, awesome! The drivers are certainly going to have earned their break in August. I'm almost surprised to see the calendar running to the last week of November, but with 20 races, I guess it would have either been that or start earlier..

We're not getting a 13th team for 2011 either after the FIA decided that none of the entrants "meet the requirements". Now we're just waiting to see if Ferrari get further punishment. I saw on Autosport that the most likely punishment is removal of the Constructor Points from that race.

Also, there's footage from Chandhok's run at the Korean track over the weekend. It still looks like there's a fair bit of work to do, but it should be completed. Interesting track.

• Paid Members

The last few years the season's also started a bit later. When I went to Australia (first race of the season in 2002) it was the first weekend in March (the 4th iirc). Now it starts in the middle of March instead. And I still think Oz should be the first race too.

Ferrari has esacaped further punishment :rolleyes:

Shock lol

• Paid Members

Just out of interest, I worked out the driver standings based on last seasons points. Now given all the fuss and Bernie's determination to have the system changed, you'll be surprised at the results.

2010 standings

Hamilton 182

Webber 179

Vettel 151

Button 147

Alonso 141

Massa 109

Kubica 104

Rosberg 102

Sutil 45

Schumacher 44

Barrichello 30

Kobayashi 21

Petrov 19

Liuzzi 13

Hulkenburg 10

Buemi 7

De la rosa 6

Alguersari 3

2010 standings with 2009 point system

Hamilton 75

Webber 71

Vettel 61

Button 59

Alonso 57

Massa 44

Kubica 41

Rosberg 40

Sutil 15

Schumacher 15

Barrichello 10

Kobayashi 6

Petrov 6

Liuzzi 2

Hulkenburg 3

Buemi 1

De la rosa 2

Alguersari 0

That's pretty interesting to see, and after today, it'd still give us the same scenario of five drivers all being within a win of each other for the title. I do think that the point system is much better this year now that I'm used to it. This system rewards the consistency of finishing the majority of races, and I think that's partially why Webber is looking strong after only failing to score in just one race when he tried to join the Red Bull Air Race, even though early on in the season, he wasn't scoring a great deal of points with a string of finishes lower in the points.

I was surprised to see the soft tyre go for so long into the race, and Vettel was running around quite comfortably at the end and putting in good lap times to be able to sneak a very good finish in 4th. Button was quite unlucky since Alonso didn't seem to be able to get close enough to get a proper run at him, but Ferrari were always going to be able to leave their drivers out a bit longer than Button since they could see him pit, and that lap was enough to give Alonso the win. Slightly annoyed since I had it down to be a Ferrari 1-2!

I'm still pulling for Webber to win the championship, but like I said earlier, consistency will be key. Bring on Singapore!

• Paid Members

Here is an updated list after yesterdays race. What it does highlight is that with the new points system, a DNF is even more costly.

Actual Standings

Webber 187

Hamilton 182

Alonso 166

Button 165

Vettel 163

Massa 124

Rosberg 112

Kubica 108

Schumacher 46

Sutil 45

Barrichello 31

Kobayashi 21

Petrov 19

Hulkenburg 16

Liuzzi 13

Buemi 7

De la rosa 6

Alguersari 3

Alternate Standings

Hamilton 75

Webber 74

Button 67

Alonso 67

Vettel 66

Massa 50

Rosberg 44

Kubica 42

Sutil 15

Schumacher 15

Barrichello 10

Kobayashi 6

Petrov 6

Hulkenburg 5

Liuzzi 2

De la rosa 2

Buemi 1

Alguersari 0

Enjoyed the race yesterday. Lewis was a fucking idiot which was a real pity because that would have been an even better race with the four of them fighting it out. Lewis was greedy. He'd got everything he needed off the start and wanted more. That's why he's a winner, in essence, but when it doesn't come off, you end up looking like a chump.

Man of the match was Vettel for me, he had a superb run.

Archived