F1 2011/ Motor Racing Thread

patiirc

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

V quick update from Turkey - what an amazing weekend! I met Webber, Vettel, Chandhok & Senna yesterday, my mate met (I saw very close) Madsa, Alonso, Glock and di Grassi. Also today we met Jake Humphrey, Eddie Jordan & David Coulthard AND we were on the TV after the race. Go on iPlayer if you want to see - Red Bull hat, black V-neck vest. Amazing!! :) :) :)

• Paid Members

What a great race it was in Turkey. Where do people stand on the Webber/Vettel incident? I think it's very hard to call. I really like both drivers and as they're on the same team I think it was a silly move from Vettel but at least Webber managed 3rd. I was sitting right on the corner where Vettel came off the track and got a really good picture of his car being taken away on the back of the truck.

Even though I hate Hamilton and it's the first race I've been to where he's won, it really was the best GP I've been to so far. I met up with a guy I know who's saved up over the past 4 years and is going to every single race this season. He's @alexjsnell on Twitter if you want to follow him. He's getting friendly with the Virgin Racing team so his blog is full of backstage photos and stories. He was the one who told me about the drivers' signing session that I went to where I met a lot of the drivers and got autographs and photos. Vettel was lovely, stood up to have a photo with me, gave me a signed photo and then asked if I'd like my German flag signed too. But then all of them were really nice - I chatted to Webber and told him what a great job he'd done in qualifying, and I had a chat with Senna and Chandhok about Twitter. I'm bummed I didn't get a chance to meet/talk to Glock as well as I really like him too.

Also, because Alex is now in with VR then he got given a team radio on Sunday for the race. He was listening to the team talking to the drivers and vice versa during the race and because he's such a nice guy he let us have a listen too. We borrowed the headphones for a while and heard the team telling Timo and Lucas to come into the pits and then heard the drivers telling the team what adjustments they needed to their car. It was so cool.

It was such a great weekend that my mate and I have decided to do it all over again and are booking to go to the Belgium GP at the weekend! :D

• Paid Members

Agreed, it was the best race of the season and the only good dry race so far. The Red Bull incident looked absolutely clear cut as Vettel's fault to me. Webber had a good line, Vettell came alongside him and then drove into him. RB have put the blame on Webber, because Vettel is their favourite cock-sucker and Webber seems to have taken it.

The race needed to be a good one because Monaco was absolutely tedious. Though is RB find some reliability, this season is going to die away. They are far too quick over one lap for anyone to compete. The car just blisters around tight corners. Hope McLaren can stay with them because there is a good 4 horse race to be had out of this. Also, as much as the new points system isn't great, it does mean that if someone else can win a couple of races, they'll be right in the mix.

I can't see it any other way than 100% Vettel's fault. I can understand wanting to overtake his team mate. but doing in a place where it was all or nothing like that was insane. He leapt down the inside hoping that Webber would bug out, but Webber didn't alter his line. At that point he just turned right straight into him. Stupid.

I may sound cynical, but I have this suspicion that Button and Hamilton deliberately put on a little display of overtaking just to dig the knife in to Red Bull. That was some sweet driving by both guys.

Great Grand Prix overall. Tons of overtaking, excitement, and the two Brits coming out on top.

Great race in Turkey. Vettel was definately to blame for that crash, i'm a fan of his, but I have a sneaky feeling he doesn't like being seen as anything other than Red Bull's number one driver. Great to see Button taking over Lewis, and vice versa. Proves Jenson is an equal to Lewis (in my opinion Jenson is better than Lewis) but it was a shame he was told to back off Lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Surprised by the lack of discussion about Canada. Best race of the season so far with the bumping off the start, drama over the tyres, the constant chopping and changing of the lead and some great over-taking. Turkey and Canada have really come good after an awful race in Monaco.

• Paid Members

I can't believe there were no penalties dished out to drivers after Sunday's race. It was all a bit mental really. Very good racing though, I agree.

In other news - I have wangled a VIP-style paddock pass for the Belgian grand prix. On a scale of 1 to 10 how excited am I?

Surprised by the lack of discussion about Canada. Best race of the season so far with the bumping off the start, drama over the tyres, the constant chopping and changing of the lead and some great over-taking. Turkey and Canada have really come good after an awful race in Monaco.

Valencia next though :(

Yeah really enjoyed Canada usually exciting cracking race.. best of the season thus far I reckon too!

Yeah, awesome race. How Schumacher has escaped penalty I don't know, he drove like an utter lunatic and a younger driver would have been severely reprimanded. You're not fast, Schumi - get over it.

• Paid Members
Bitch. Er, I mean ten.

:laugh:

I am so excited. A guy I've been having a "thing" with works for Virgin Racing and has got me two paddock passes for me and my mate. I've always wanted to go to Spa as it's always a good race but it usually rains so it's put me off. But I don't think I've been so excited about going to a GP like this before. Turkey was brilliant but hopefully this will be even better.

• 2 weeks later...

Two thoughts during the race.

1. Webber's crash was unreal, I know we seen plenty but fuck me that came out of nowhere.

2. The FIA have really fucked up with the Hamilton 10 second penalty thing, Alonso has been screwed right over here. The FIA should have been onto that quicker than 20 + laps, so by jumping the safety car he's clearly got an advantage by about 7 places.

For all the rule changes the race still spins on its head when theres a crash and everyone rushes into the pits trying to gain an advantage (as if the pack closing wasn't enough anyway), they need to keep the cars in order as they were before the safety car comes out, this is what fucks F1 up IMO, and the Hamilton thing pretty much proves my point and had 20 laps afterwards to put the lap times in (with a clearish track).

Well they've just changed the rule this year. We used to have a rule where the pit lane would close when the safety car came out and drivers wouldn't be able to pit for a few laps until it reopened because people were doing this, and they decided to scrap it. Some drivers got lucky as a result of it, others suffered.

The Hamilton incident is strange, and I'd be really interested to know how it took the stewards so long to make the decision, especially since that time span was long enough for the lead two to build up that gap which meant Lewis remained second. Alonso is deservedly pissed off, and I know I would be too (though that would probably just be from disliking Hamilton, so again, like Alonso), but since Hamilton served a penalty, surely that's the end of the matter?

Huge credit goes to Kobayashi today. He played his cards right by staying out under the safety car and as a result, got a handful of points. Some incredible overtaking as well to get Alonso with a few laps to go, and passing Buemi into the last corner of the race was beautiful to see. He could still finish third technically since everyone in front of him apart from Vettel and Hamilton is under investigation.

I'll admit I freaked out when I saw Webber's crash. It was an horrendous incident and he's incredibly lucky to walk away from it. It's been a while since we saw a car go air bourne like that, and the on-car footage was amazing. I wonder how things could have been if the Red Bull didn't flip back onto it's front and carried on into the barriers. Coulthard and Jordan were really fighting about this as well. I'm with DC, it's borderline insane for the new teams to be like that. Of course they're well within their right to fight for position, but when the braking point is so different between the cars and the closing speed is enormous, it's going to cause crashes. It should certainly give the FIA incentive to reconsider the adjustable rear wing flaps for next year

• 2 weeks later...

Archived