MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

UFCDVD039-front.jpg

Watched UFC 39 today.Some good stuff on this one.

Some highlights

Tim Sylvia vs Wesley 'Cabbage' Correira

Sylvia's UFC debut and he was also billed as 'The Grizzly Bear' :laugh: .Probably Sylvia's most exciting fight aswell,if he fought this aggressively after he won the title he probably wouldn't have got half the hate he did.

This was just a wild brawl and a lot of fun.Big Timmy just proved to be the better striker.Unbelievable some of the shots Cabbage takes in this one,amazing he never went down.

Phil Baroni vs Dave Menne

whnywi.gif

Well,not much else to say really is there :p

Caol Uno vs Din Thomas

One half of the tournament to crown a new Lightweight champ.Good,close technical fight with lots of grappling.Uno took the decision with ground and pound after whethering a storm of submission attempts from Thomas.

BJ Penn vs Matt Serra

Other half of the LW tournament.Really close,entertaining fight.Serra looked great and really gave BJ all he could handle.Dunno why the crowd started booing towards the end of the fight,I thought it was a cracking little battle.

Randy Couture vs Ricco Rodriguez

For the vacant HW Title after Barnett was stripped of the belt for testing for steroids....again.I hadn't seen this fight before.It was better than I expected to be honest.The first couple of rounds was all Randy and it was looking like he'd cruise to victory pretty easily.Ricco came back strong in the later rounds once he figured out he had to get on top of Randy and finished him in the 5th round.

The other fights were Sherk vs Radach,Lindland vs Salaverry and Gan McGee upsetting Pedro Rizzo with a huge overhand right leading to Marco Ruas throwing the towel in for Rizzo between rounds.

Enjoyable card I thought.

EDIT- Oh and by the way MMAUniverse is doing a buy 1 get 1 free offer on all K-1 Hero's DVDs at the moment.I'm getting me some of them.Glad I waited now.

Here's the link :thumbsup:

http://www.mmauniverse.com/offers/SS44

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

UFC 39 was one of the first cards i watched when i really started to get into MMA (in real time it was UFC 45), i was starting to work back through some shows.

I remember thinking Phil Baroni was the greatest fighter in the world at this point, he's the "Best Eva!"

51 was my first caught it on Bravo on 24 hour delay the night of the SuperBowl in January 2005

Cant belive that was 5 years ago

Titowa smy big draw as he was the only dude I knew before watching as Id heard in Power Slam about his fight with Shamrock, Arlovski made a fan out of me leglocking Slyvia and Buentello vs Eilers and Kyle vs Irvin provided two memrable knock outs for a first timer

I was hooked form there and watched UFC 52 a few months later which is still my favorite MMMA card like ever

• Paid Members

Think UFC 52 was my first real time UFC,think it was on Bravo delay too.

I first saw MMA just before that though and the first fight I ever saw was Wanderlei vs Hendo from Pride 12.I was at a mates house who was big into MMA at the time and he was watching it on his computer.When I saw that fight I was hooked and instantly became a huge fan of Wanderlei.

Then I saw UFC 52 with Chuck-Randy 2,Hughes-Trigg 2 and GSP-Mayhem Miller and there was no going back.

Edited by wandshogun09

I watched Griffin vs. Bonner last night. Sweet. Mother. Of. Fuck.

I was going MENTAL watching it. It was madness.

You can watch every fight that has happened on TUF on the Ultimate Fighter site.

I dont know if you have seen it yet, but the TUF 2 Finale is a hell of a card. Both final fights are superb, the main of Diego Sanchez/Nick Diaz is a cracker and the card opens with Kenny Florian/Kit Cope.

• Paid Members

Yeah the TUF 2 Finale is one of those overlooked shows that had some really good stuff on it.I hadn't seen it for a few years until last week when ESPN Classic repeated it.

Florian-Cope was a great opener and kinda historic for the 2 subs in 1 fight.

And I've gotta say the Stevenson-Cummo fight was a much,much better fight than I remembered.Cracking fight and even though I already knew the result I was really rooting for a Cummo upset by the third round.

Even the Rashad-Brad Imes HW Final was an entertaining slugfest.Not a great technical fight but just 2 guys throwing leather until they both gas and then throw more leather.

And obviously Sanchez-Diaz is an awesome fight.One of the best ground based fights in UFC history.I think it was the first grappling type fight that really made me appreciate the ground game.

On paper it looks like pretty much a 1 fight show but I'd recommend people who haven't seen it to give it a chance.Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of UFC 31 and I took great pleasure out of that boring fuck Kevin Randleman getting knocked out incredibly quickly by Chuck Liddell, made all the better by Randleman pissing and moaning to the referee about it being stopped prematurely despite every single replay showing that he was out of it. Glorious.

I also reckon it's worth noting that Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo from UFC 30 is great fun while it lasts. Both guys just standing and unloading for two rounds.

• Moderators

I'm watching Ultimate Ultimate '96 again. It's still choc full of manliness and extra chest hair.

Steve Nelmark getting knocked out is still Champeen, along with the most exciting minute you'll ever see in the final.

• Paid Members
I also reckon it's worth noting that Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo from UFC 30 is great fun while it lasts. Both guys just standing and unloading for two rounds.

Yeah Barnett-Rizzo was a lot of fun.The thing I remember most though (besides the awesome KO) was how fat Barnett looked,I know he's never been known for having a ripped physique but that was probably the worst I'd seen him look physically.

I'm watching Ultimate Ultimate '96 again. It's still choc full of manliness and extra chest hair.

Steve Nelmark getting knocked out is still Champeen, along with the most exciting minute you'll ever see in the final.

Oh yes.Don Frye vs Tank Abbott in the final was mental.As much as I love what MMA is now sometimes I just want to watch wild brawls with fat blokes and Tom Selleck look a likes.

• Moderators

I love the Don Frye ear of UFC. He was, as far as I am concerned, the first real Mixed Martial Artist.

Well other than Harold Howard who made his own system combining Karate and Jiu-Jitsu, which after Royce Gracie heard his discuss in a Pre-Taped interview, Royce thre in his towel pre-fight. He knew Ontario's Mulleted Warrior had his number.

Dana needs to book Howard vs Hackney.

So I've finally seen Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock from UFC 40.

Absolutely loved it. It started as a bit of a two sided war and even when they took it to the ground, they continued to battle on there in great fashion. It got a bit one sided the more it went on, but Ken Shamrock's absolute refusal to be beaten just kept this going. Ortiz kept throwing bombs and then going for submissions and Shamrock would either 1) not budge or 2) get out in superb fashion.

I was a bit worried going into this fight as many of the big fights I had watched had been a bit disappointing, but this one certainly didn't disappoint.

• Paid Members

ahhh yeh, Shamrock/Ortiz I is an epic, the fight itself isn't amazing but the whole situation/atmosphere was just outstanding.

Ken Shamrock was never the same after that fight, i think Ortiz beat the fight out of him for good.

ahhh yeh, Shamrock/Ortiz I is an epic, the fight itself isn't amazing but the whole situation/atmosphere was just outstanding.

I actually thought the fight itself was pretty damn good. It lit up at the right times and wasn't ever boring. I also loved Ortiz's entrance. Really had me hyped up.

It seems like UFC 40 was when it became absolutely like the UFC we see today, right down to the cool intro video.