MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

I been watching the UFC Best Of 2007 DVD over the last couple of days.

Its a great collection and Id recommend anyone just getting into MMA to get it.A great DVD to introduce someone to MMA.

Frankie Edgar vs Tyson Griffin (UFC 67)

Martin Kampmann vs Drew McFedries (UFC 68)

Kenny Florian vs Dokonjonosuke Mishima (UFC Fight Night)

Georges St Pierre vs Matt Serra (UFC 69)

Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga (UFC 70)

Keith Jardine vs Houston Alexander (UFC 71)

Chuck Liddell vs Rampage Jackson (UFC 71)

Spencer Fisher vs Sam Stout (UFC Fight Night)

Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida (UFC 72)

Houston Alexander vs Alessio Sakara (UFC 75)

Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor (UFC 75)

Rampage Jackson vs Dan Henderson (UFC 75)

Shogun Rua vs Forrest Griffin (UFC 76)

Jon Koppenhaver vs Jared Rollins (TUF 6 Finale)

Roger Huerta vs Clay Guida (TUF 6 Finale)

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva (UFC 79)

Georges St Pierre vs Matt Hughes (UFC 79)

All thats really missing is Couture vs Sylvia and oddly theres no Anderson Silva on there.

Was this released when Couture was at odds with the company? The fight really wasn't all that much kop, but considering it was Couture you would expect it to be on there. Surprised there is no Leonard Garcia/Roger Huerta, and Stout/Fisher is a forgotten classic and main evented one of the better Fight Night cards. I remember absolutely nothing of Florian/Mishima so I dont know if that was any good or just my anti-KenFlo kicking in so I automatically erase him from my mind. Davis/Taylor was a cracking short fight, and Davis was pretty lucky that the fight never got stopped when he was getting pounded on as the ref could have easily called it.

I wouldn't put Couture - Sylvia on a best of. Apart from a couple of nice takedowns and the initial right cross. The fight is nothing to write home about.

I fully agree, but it was Couture's first fight in over a year since retiring, and he defeated the Heavyweight champion in the process. It would be nowhere near a 'Best of 2007' in terms of fight quality, but I am surprised it didn't make the cut.

Just watched the Akiyama intro. That is one of my favourite songs ever. Andrea Bocelli is god-like in my eyes.

Shame that Sexyama was a cheating CUNT during that fight :) Saku>Sexyama

I'll add my love for the Akiyama intro. It may not be as flashy as the likes of Miller, King Mo, Gono, Lawlor etc, but it is easily my favourite to watch. If you have never seen it, search out a complete unedited version of his fight with Melvin Manhoef from K-1 Hero's 7. Goes less than 2 minutes, but is all action, plus you have his awesome entrance, and his parents at ringside. Its an incredible spectacle.

Speaking of Best-of's. Think i'll put my Sakuraba best of on tonight. Maybe i'll be able to endure Saku-Royce again!

I really need to watch the unedited version of this when I have a spare couple of hours. Saw the clipped version years back, but I really need to sit through the full version that I have. I think it is something that I have to do to call myself an MMA fan. Have sat through lengthy stinkers such as Shamrock/Gracie II and Shamrock/Severn II, but I think it the length of the fight that is making me constantly put it off.

The unedited version of Royce & Saku is a loooooong viewing my friend haha. I've only ever sat through the whole fight once. I dunno how the fans in attendance managed to do so. The result of the fight being so bloody long was despite Saku winning he could not go through in the tournament.

Is it full fights on the best of? If so I'm guessing the reason they'd leave off Couture-Sylvia*Besides the obvious* would be that the fight went 25 minutes?

• Paid Members

Sylvia/Couture wasn't even a good fight, similar to Ortiz/Couture...it was more the situation, Couture just dominating an opponent for 5 rounds that he was expected to lose too.

It was more of a 25 minute mugging :)

The unedited version of Royce & Saku is a loooooong viewing my friend haha. I've only ever sat through the whole fight once. I dunno how the fans in attendance managed to do so. The result of the fight being so bloody long was despite Saku winning he could not go through in the tournament.

Is it full fights on the best of? If so I'm guessing the reason they'd leave off Couture-Sylvia*Besides the obvious* would be that the fight went 25 minutes?

the Rampage Jackson vs. Dan Henderson fight on that set goes for the full 25 minutes, so it could have just been a timme thing. The Couture/Sylvia fight is on the Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights set, which i recomend to everyone, its worth every penny

• Paid Members
Was this released when Couture was at odds with the company? The fight really wasn't all that much kop, but considering it was Couture you would expect it to be on there. Surprised there is no Leonard Garcia/Roger Huerta, and Stout/Fisher is a forgotten classic and main evented one of the better Fight Night cards. I remember absolutely nothing of Florian/Mishima so I dont know if that was any good or just my anti-KenFlo kicking in so I automatically erase him from my mind. Davis/Taylor was a cracking short fight, and Davis was pretty lucky that the fight never got stopped when he was getting pounded on as the ref could have easily called it.

Yeah it was released after Randy left the UFC so thats probably one of the reasons its not on there.Florian vs Mishima was decent enough but nowt special.Huerta vs Garcia,Griffin vs Tavares and Parisyan vs Burkman were all more deserving

fights from 07.

Nate Quarry vs Pete Sell,Matt Wiman vs Michihiro Omigawa,Matt Grice vs Jason Black were all really good fights from that year aswell.

I wouldn't put Couture - Sylvia on a best of. Apart from a couple of nice takedowns and the initial right cross. The fight is nothing to write home about.

Yeah it wasn't a great fight but it was one of the biggest moments of 07 and a great moment.The crowd reaction when Sylvia got knocked on his arse was probably the loudest I've heard a UFC crowd on TV.Shame not much happened after that punch but still.

The fights are all in full and you're probably right about the time constraints.The only fight included that went 5 rounds was Rampage vs Hendo and that was a much better fight than Couture vs Sylvia.

Saku vs Royce is worth watching at least once IMO.I watched the full version fairly recently on the Pride GP DVD and,although there's a ton of stalling as you'd expect from a 90 minute match involving Royce especially,it has it's moments (Sakuraba provides pretty much all the moments).It's not a fight you'll likely watch more than once but it's one worth seeing if only for the significance of the fight and the crowd reaction when the Gracie's throw the towel in.

Put it this way I'd rather watch Saku-Gracie once a week for the rest of my life than have to sit through Shamrock-Gracie 2,Shamrock-Severn 2 or Severn-Kimo once ever again :sleeping:

• Paid Members
I watched a fun one last night from Hero's 2005:The Beginning. It was Joachim Hansen vs Caol Uno in a really entertaining ground battle with reversals galore. It also ends with a devastating and totally out of the blue KO. Apologies if this one has been mentioned im lazy, if not-enjoy :)

That really was a great fight.It was back and forth but I really thought Uno was heading to a decision win and then Hansen just cracked him with a big knee and he was spark out with about 10 seconds of the fight to go.

the Rampage Jackson vs. Dan Henderson fight on that set goes for the full 25 minutes, so it could have just been a timme thing. The Couture/Sylvia fight is on the Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights set, which i recomend to everyone, its worth every penny

Yeah they probably didn't wanna include two 5 rounders so they went with the better fight.

Any of you guys know if those Ultimate Combat Legacy dvd's are any good? See them floating around on ebay quite alot

I have got a copy of Ultimate Combat 8 'Retribution', but not got round to watching it yet. Hopefully, I will get some spare time to sit and watch it within a few days.

• Paid Members
Put it this way I'd rather watch Saku-Gracie once a week for the rest of my life than have to sit through Shamrock-Gracie 2,Shamrock-Severn 2 or Severn-Kimo once ever again :sleeping:

is that the fight from Pride 1? Worst fight ever!

That's the one.Complete abortion of a fight.The only thing I liked about it was hearing Bas and Stephen Quadros gradually losing the will to live on commentary.Even the super polite Japanese crowd were shitting on it.