MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

watched some of UFC 92 yesterday whilst i was killing some time, viewed a couple of the prelims i'd never seen before...

Ryo Chonan/Brad Blackburn - decent little fight, both guys had good rounds but Chonan finished much stronger in the 3rd, always think it's a little harsh for the guy who finishes the fight the stronger to go and lose the decision, both guys are now out of the UFC, Chonan being yet another Japanese fighter who just didn't cut the mustard in the UFC, add Nakamura & Uno to that list :(

Dean Lister/Yushin Okami - This was the fight Okami took after losing out on a title shot because of injury. Okami is the kind of guy who has to work doubly hard to gain any kind of recognition in the rankings because he has little fanfair, so to put him against Dean Lister was almost career suicide. Dean Lister is a boring fighter, no doubt. The guy is super effective on the ground and is fun to watch there, but he's so good on the ground that no one wants to go there with him...add in that Lister has little wrestling and it's basically you have an old school type thing where Lister butt-scoots around trying to get Okami to engage on the ground. It's a poor fight and it didn't help Okami's UFC case at all. Lister found himself cut after this, the guy matched up correctly is fun to watch from a purists standpoint, but he just had nothing for Okami.

Frank Mir/Antonio Minotoro Nogueira - and so we come to the single most depressing fight in MMA history (for me anyways). I'm a big Nogueira fan and to see him dismantled like this was just horrible. However, let me clarify one thing, i remember the boards around this time claiming that 'Mir was back!!', 'Mir's better than ever', fucking bullshit...Frank Mir didn't look good in this fight, Nog just looked so bad. Frank Mir was basically hitting a punching bag, and i don't give a fuck what anybody says, Mir was winded in round 2, he was jumping around and trying to loosen up and was gulping some big breathes, he was fucked. Of course Nogueira came out and claimed he has staph infection, which explains his poor performance, but in all honestly Nogueira hasn't looked good in ages (the Couture fight being an exception, but i think that was more down to it being a good style match for him)...i don't think Nogueira has anything to offer the top guys in the divison now, especially the younger, more explosive guys, but i do think he can beat Frank Mir, can't wait for the rematch.

and another thing about the fight, Joe Rogan was all over Frank Mir's nuts in the fight, it was unashamedly biased (it's probably the only complaint ive ever made about Rogan, he's my favorite announcer easily).

mir.jpg

nooooooooooooooooo!

Now i aint a Frank Mir hater, i actually have a lot of respect for the guy, to battle back and achieve what he has after such a horrible accident is unbelievable, but it doesn't stop me from calling him the most overrated fighter in MMA...for 2minutes he's as dangerous as anyone, after that he's a C level figther at best.

Edited by Ebb

I've been working my way through the Pride shows and I've watched three and a half shows.

Gary Goodridge punching fuck out of folk and Akira Shoji in general are the only things that have really captured the imagination so far. Oh aye, nearly forgot Takase vs. Yarborough from #3, which was great from a curiosity standpoint.

That said, Newton vs. Sakuraba from that same show was pretty good too.

• Paid Members

Akira Shoji was a little maniac, that guy would fight anyone.

The early Pride's are awful though, if you're an MMA enthusiast you have to watch them, but for anyone else they can be painful viewing.

• Paid Members
Frank Mir/Antonio Minotoro Nogueira - and so we come to the single most depressing fight in MMA history (for me anyways). I'm a big Nogueira fan and to see him dismantled like this was just horrible. However, let me clarify one thing, i remember the boards around this time claiming that 'Mir was back!!', 'Mir's better than ever', fucking bullshit...Frank Mir didn't look good in this fight, Nog just looked so bad. Frank Mir was basically hitting a punching bag, and i don't give a fuck what anybody says, Mir was winded in round 2, he was jumping around and trying to loosen up and was gulping some big breathes, he was fucked. Of course Nogueira came out and claimed he has staph infection, which explains his poor performance, but in all honestly Nogueira hasn't looked good in ages (the Couture fight being an exception, but i think that was more down to it being a good style match for him)...i don't think Nogueira has anything to offer the top guys in the divison now, especially the younger, more explosive guys, but i do think he can beat Frank Mir, can't wait for the rematch.

and another thing about the fight, Joe Rogan was all over Frank Mir's nuts in the fight, it was unashamedly biased (it's probably the only complaint ive ever made about Rogan, he's my favorite announcer easily).

mir.jpg

nooooooooooooooooo!

Now i aint a Frank Mir hater, i actually have a lot of respect for the guy, to battle back and achieve what he has after such a horrible accident is unbelievable, but it doesn't stop me from calling him the most overrated fighter in MMA...for 2minutes he's as dangerous as anyone, after that he's a C level figther at best.

I dont think Ive ever been so disappointed at an MMA fight. Our house at uni had gathered each week to TUF (two of us already watched MMA and this was the introduction for the other two) and after seeing Mir be a dick all season we all wanted Big Nog to smash him. Then the fight came and it all went so terribly wrong.

Im still hoping for that Big Nog smash to come in fight 2.

I for one hope Mir takes this fight to show the whole world why he's rightfully the number 6 heavyweight! Go Frank! Hero!

UFC107_FrankMir_CheickKongo.jpg

Rewatched fight above pictured one about 3 times yesterday :) Gotta love frank trashtalking and kicking ass, he had the talent and the skills to back up his words that night for sure.

Edited by 1SinN6

• Paid Members

mir.jpg

nooooooooooooooooo!

I agree with all of that.It was a miserable fight to watch for me (made even worse by Wanderlei getting sparked earlier on the same card),did Nog even throw a punch that fight? I still see him beating Nog in the rematch unfortunately though,I just got a bad feeling about it.I honestly think a prime Nog would tool Mir but Nog's not the fighter he was.Still you are right about Mir not having a gas tank,if Nog can drag it into the 2nd or 3rd round he could deffo win this one.He can't do any worse than the first fight really can he,if he lands one good punch he'll have done better than last time.

Rogan was annoying on commentary that fight.There's a lot of Rogan bias in some of Chuck's old fights aswell,especially the fights against Belfort and Wanderlei.He was all up Chuck's crack in them fights and just ignored any strikes Belfort or Wand landed.

On your last point I am admittedly a Frank Mir hater,can't stand the twat.Fair play on the comeback from the crash and I'll always admit his WEC announcing was top notch.However he IS massively overrated.His 2 biggest wins were Lesnar and Nogueira and Brock was winning 87 of 90 seconds of their first fight and smashed him in the rematch.And Nog was in hospital with staph and had knee problems.Fair doos you can only beat what's in front of you but he brags about these wins all the time but if you look at the circumstances they're not as impressive as he'd have people believe.

Edited by wandshogun09

About 6 months after I started UFC 25 Ultimate Japan III, I thought it was time I got back in to watching all the old UFCs that I never watched first time around. Due to the bad reviews that it got here and elsewhere, I decided to skip the rest of the card, as who knows when I would have got round to finishing it, and moved on to UFC 26 'Ultimate Field of Dreams'.

Jens Pulver vs Joao Roque

Prior to this fight, Mike Goldberg and Jeff Blatnick announced that there will be a Bantamweight division in the UFC (155lbs or less), and that Pulver vs Roque will be the first fight in the division. Pulver is going by the nickname of 'The Pulverizer' (no Lil' Evil yet), and has just moved to Pat Miletich's camp. A slow paced first round, with Pulver looking to constantly land the big left. Roque tries to take Jens down on several occasions, but every takedown attempt sees Jens shrug it off, and then just step backwards so the referee has to stand Roque up, as Pulver wanted no part of Roque's ground game (the announcers had put over his ADCC experience). Round Two was more of the same with Roque going for the takedowns, but being unable to get the. The one time he did manage to gets Jens to the ground, Pulver reversed the position, got off him and stepped back so Roque again had to stand up. Round Three was more of the same again. Pulver gets the points victory in a very poor fight and a lousy way to open the card.

Matt Hughes vs Marcelo Aguiar

Aguiar is a Brazilian with strong Vale Tudo and Muay Thai credentials. Good showing by Hughes who took down Aguiar at the earliest point and alternated a bit of lay and pray with some G & P. Hughes ends up cutting Aguiar with an elbow in the first, and when the action halts Mario Yamasaki gets the doctor to check the cut, and he stops the fight.

Alex Andrade vs Amaury Bitetti

Tito Ortiz joins us on commentary for this fight. Andrade is out of the Lions Den and has the usual suspects in his corner (Telligman, Mezger et al) whilst Bitetti is the guy who got brutalized by don Frye back at UFC IX. Pretty eventful first round that saw both guys hurt the other with hard punches, although the main story was that Andrade was docked two penalty points due to fouls. Andrade was wearing wrestling shoes, and as a result couldn't throw kicks. He ended up kicking Bitetti twice, once to the head after he had dropped him with a left hook, and once to the leg. In the second round, after just 48 seconds, Andrade ends up throwing a kick to the head which cuts Bitetti's eye, and John McCarthy ends up DQ'ing him. Had potential to be a good fight, and Andrade probably would have won had he not got himself DQ'ed.

Pat Miletich vs John Alessio

Miletich is making his first title defense in a year, whilst Alessio is just 20 years old, and using the nickname 'The Natural'. Not much to the first round. Alessio grabs a guillotine choke early, but Miletich pops out and then just controls position for the rest of the round. Miletich lands some solid shots at the start of Round Two, then grabs a bodylock and slams Alessio. He passes Alessio's guard, moves to full mount and then starts to unload with punches, and as Alessio tries to defend, Miletich slaps on an armbar, and moves to 6-0 on the UFC. This was a highly impressive finish to the fight by Miletich.

David Dodd vs Tyrone Roberts

Dodd has a look of Mike Quackenbush about him, whilst Roberts is the younger brother of former UFC fighter Andre 'Chief' Roberts. Roberts won a comfortable and generally pretty uneventful unanimous decision. Dodd did manage to bloody up Roberts' nose, but never really troubled him.

Kevin Randleman vs Pedro Rizzo

This is the rematch of the UFC Heavyweight title fight that was originally scheduled to take place at UFC 24, but got cancelled after Randleman slipped backstage and injured his head. Fairly quiet first round as it was over a minute before they engaged. When they did, Randleman bull rushed Rizzo into the cage and took him down. Once down, he didn't do too much, just kept going for can opener submissions whilst throwing the odd punch or so. Even less happened in Round Two than One, and John McCarthy stepped in after two minutes of no action and told them to get on with it. It did appear that Rizzo was afraid to let his hands go, for fear that Randleman would take him down. Jeff Blatnick even started refering to Dan Severn vs Ken Shamrock. Awful round. there was a bit more action in Round Three, although it still wasn't great. An accidental clash of heads saw Rizzo receive a nasty cut above the bridge of his nose, and his left eye started to swell shut. The most action took place in the last 10 seconds of the round, as Randleman landed a right hook, took Rizzo down, and got some more strikes in on him. Round Four was as uneventful as what had gone down previously, although the crowd were louder in their booing this time. Round Five saw McCarthy threaten both fighers with a foul due to the lack of action, and the highlight was when some members of the crowd actually through empty plastic pint pots in the ring towards the end of the round to show their disapproval at the lact of action. More debris followed after the fight had finished, which Randleman won on points. A dreadful fight.

In summary, don't waste three hours of your life, or even worse, waste your money on this one. One for the completists only. Randleman/Rizzo is up there in the worse fights in company history and the opener is probably the worse fight I have ever seen Jens Pulver have. Dodds/Roberts is immediately forgettable, and the best fight is hampered by a DQ finish. Absolutely nothing to recommend with the exception of Round Two of Miletich/Alessio. Avoid this one!

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

I've been watching UFC's from this period myself recently.Finally watched UFC 21 the other day,I hadn't seen it before and I remembered you're review of it Magnum and I agree,a very overlooked card with some really enjoyable stuff on it.

Planning on watching UFC 22 tonight.Haven't seen Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz for years so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.It was a classic if I remember right and should really have been included in the 100 greatest fights countdown last year but with Frank on bad terms with Dana and Tito was at the time aswell it wasn't happening.

I've been watching UFC's from this period myself recently.Finally watched UFC 21 the other day,I hadn't seen it before and I remembered you're review of it Magnum and I agree,a very overlooked card with some really enjoyable stuff on it.

Planning on watching UFC 22 tonight.Haven't seen Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz for years so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.It was a classic if I remember right and should really have been included in the 100 greatest fights countdown last year but with Frank on bad terms with Dana and Tito was at the time aswell it wasn't happening.

I don't know if I did an extensive write up when I watched it last time but Shamrock/Ortiz was as good as I remembered, and was an excellent performance from Shamrock. There is a brutal knock out in the Brad Kohler vs Steve Judson fight, although not much else going by my matchlistings.

I plan on watching UFC 27 tonight, as now I have managed to get past Ultimate Japan III, I would like to think I can get through the rest of the unwatched shows fairly quickly. The only thing announced for 27 from 26 was a title defense from Tito Ortiz, so we shall see what it brings.

• Paid Members

Yeah I watched Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz last night,awesome stuff just like I remembered.Wish Frank would've stuck around after that fight,would loved to have seen him fight Belfort,Henderson or Newton.

Oh and I forgot to mention when talking about UFC 21 I fucking loved Mikey Burnett going off of Pat Miletich and taunting the crowd whilst being quite clearly under the influence of something.Fucking great stuff...

Here it is for anyone that hasn't seen it

• Paid Members
Kevin Randleman vs Pedro Rizzo

This is the rematch of the UFC Heavyweight title fight that was originally scheduled to take place at UFC 24, but got cancelled after Randleman slipped backstage and injured his head. Fairly quiet first round as it was over a minute before they engaged. When they did, Randleman bull rushed Rizzo into the cage and took him down. Once down, he didn't do too much, just kept going for can opener submissions whilst throwing the odd punch or so. Even less happened in Round Two than One, and John McCarthy stepped in after two minutes of no action and told them to get on with it. It did appear that Rizzo was afraid to let his hands go, for fear that Randleman would take him down. Jeff Blatnick even started refering to Dan Severn vs Ken Shamrock. Awful round. there was a bit more action in Round Three, although it still wasn't great. An accidental clash of heads saw Rizzo receive a nasty cut above the bridge of his nose, and his left eye started to swell shut. The most action took place in the last 10 seconds of the round, as Randleman landed a right hook, took Rizzo down, and got some more strikes in on him. Round Four was as uneventful as what had gone down previously, although the crowd were louder in their booing this time. Round Five saw McCarthy threaten both fighers with a foul due to the lack of action, and the highlight was when some members of the crowd actually through empty plastic pint pots in the ring towards the end of the round to show their disapproval at the lact of action. More debris followed after the fight had finished, which Randleman won on points. A dreadful fight.

Has Kevin Randleman ever been in a legit good fight? seriously?

I know he's had some exciting moments (The Fedor slam>loss, KO'ing CroCop etc.) but has he ever had a good fight? he can talk smack with the best of them but he's always underwhelming in the cage.

He's MMA's Shane Douglas!

• Paid Members

Has anyone seen Robbie Lawler vs Aaron Riley from UFC 37?

I've read it's supposed to be a really good fight but I've also read it's not included on the DVD release for some reason.I've noticed a few of the UFC's from around the 20s and 30s have prelims missing.

UFC 17 was Chuck Liddell's UFC and MMA debut and it's not on the DVD release.The Middleweight Title fight between Frank Shamrock and Jeremy Horn is missing aswell.

• Paid Members
Has anyone seen Robbie Lawler vs Aaron Riley from UFC 37?

I've read it's supposed to be a really good fight but I've also read it's not included on the DVD release for some reason.I've noticed a few of the UFC's from around the 20s and 30s have prelims missing.

UFC 17 was Chuck Liddell's UFC and MMA debut and it's not on the DVD release.The Middleweight Title fight between Frank Shamrock and Jeremy Horn is missing aswell.

yeh, only from UFC 39 onwards have they started including the prelims. I was hoping they'd give the older shows the proper treatment and re-release em all with the full cards (The Zuffa cards at least!) but it seems they aint gonna do it. Sucks.

The Lawler/Riley is about though, ive got a copy of it. It's probably on the On Demand service too.

• Paid Members

now here's a little fight i'd never seen before, two of MMA's most well known lightweights battling:

Jens Pulver vs Joe Stephenson

decent little battle you may think prior to watching, then you realise that Joe Stevenson was 16 when this fight happened! How the hell they allowed this to go ahead i'll never know.

Stevenson crumples at the first taste of Pulver power.