MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Not counting Season 4, how many TUF contestants have already had UFC fights before going on the show? I was always surprised that Joe Lauzon ended up on Season 5 when he'd already defeated one of the coaches (Jens Pulver).

Yeah I thought that was strange aswell.He knocked out Pulver in his UFC debut and then went straight on TUF.He should have been on the main cards after a big win like that surely.

yeh i dont think that was ever really explained. I don't think Lauzon knew BJ Penn at that point, i think that relationship started on the actual show. Guess Lauzon wanted the extra exposure.

I think that's the only occasion where someone has gone into it after being on a winning streak of any kind in the UFC, there's been other guys who have gone on TUF who previously competed (Scott Junk being one).

Not counting Season 4, how many TUF contestants have already had UFC fights before going on the show? I was always surprised that Joe Lauzon ended up on Season 5 when he'd already defeated one of the coaches (Jens Pulver).

Yeah I thought that was strange aswell.He knocked out Pulver in his UFC debut and then went straight on TUF.He should have been on the main cards after a big win like that surely.

yeh i dont think that was ever really explained. I don't think Lauzon knew BJ Penn at that point, i think that relationship started on the actual show. Guess Lauzon wanted the extra exposure.

I think that's the only occasion where someone has gone into it after being on a winning streak of any kind in the UFC, there's been other guys who have gone on TUF who previously competed (Scott Junk being one).

From the same season as Joe Lauzon, both Matt Wiman and Gabe Ruediger had previously fought in the UFC before taking part in TUF.

Wes Sims is another example (a reality TV vet, who also auditioned for the WWE's Tough Enough 4 and BET's Iron Ring). I remember reading at the time of the Heavyweight season there were three fighters who had prior UFC experience, Junk and Sims were two, but I cant remember for the life of me who the third was.

• Paid Members

what's the fucking chances....this just popped up on Junkie:

Mixed-martial-arts fighter Mike Wessell sits in a Jonesboro, Ark. jail after a disturbance early Sunday morning.

Wessel, 32, was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and first-degree terroristic threatening after he and five other fighters allegedly caused a disturbance at a local pub.

Wessel could face up to six years in prison for the threatening charge and one year each for the public intoxication and disorderly-conduct charges.

Corporal Wayne McClard of the Jonesboro Police Department today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com ) that JPD officer David Stout was called to Creegan's Irish Pub at around 2 a.m. on Sunday to investigate a domestic disturbance call involving six MMA fighters.

Shortly after he arrived, officer Stout witnessed Wessel charge a crowd in front of the pub. He restrained the fighter and took him to the Craighead Country Detention Center.

Wessel became irate during the car ride to the detention center and began making threats when its jailers attempted to restrain him, according to an arrest report.

"Several jailers and a deputy arrived and placed [Wessel] into the restraint chair," McClard read from Stout's police report. "He began making death threats toward me and my family, and said that he was going to kill me and my kids."

A probable cause hearing set for Tuesday will determine Wessel's bail amount.

Wessel (6-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) was best known to UFC fans for his turn on the heavyweights-only 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter." The former Arena Football League player's good nature won over many of his housemates, though his reality-show dreams ended quickly with a first-round submission loss to Marcus Jones.

Wessel was one of only three "TUF 10" cast members with prior UFC experience, which included a TKO loss to Antoni Hardonk at UFC 92. The UFC released him following the event.

Most recently, Wessel suffered his second professional loss when fellow "TUF" alum Dan Christison submitted him in February.

mental.

Anyone remember Enson Inoue?

I was reminded of him by his appearance on Yoshida's retirement show.

I used to be a fan of his back in the day. I think it was more to do with the fact that his tattoos looked cool and he had some sweet t-shirts on his website more than anything. I bought one and the guys sent me over an autographed DVD of some of his fights which was good of them.

Unfortunately the dude lost all but one of his PRIDE fights however does hold a win over Randy Couture from back in '98.

Yesterday I watched UFC 7.

Enjoyable tourney especially for Marcos Ruas, in David vs Goliath battles. The Ken Shamrock v Oleg Taktarov fight was so slow and boring, although saying that it had tension about it, anticipating what would happen. Shame no pay off for the viewer. I'm so glad the referees stand the fighters up sooner now, rather than wait 15 minutes!

Next UFC 36!

• Paid Members
Anyone remember Enson Inoue?

I was reminded of him by his appearance on Yoshida's retirement show.

I used to be a fan of his back in the day. I think it was more to do with the fact that his tattoos looked cool and he had some sweet t-shirts on his website more than anything. I bought one and the guys sent me over an autographed DVD of some of his fights which was good of them.

Unfortunately the dude lost all but one of his PRIDE fights however does hold a win over Randy Couture from back in '98.

Inoue's a legend. He's probably one of the most interesting characters to ever fight in MMA, unbelievable heart and tough as nails. He had all kinds of ties with the Yakuza and stuff like that, look for some stories of his online, he blogs quite a lot too, interesting stuff.

• Paid Members

Yeah Inoue's still a big name in Japan and an MMA legend.Not to mention hes a bit of a nut aswell.He's done a bit of jail time and of course there's been the Yakuza links that's been mentioned already.

Always liked Enson.Check out his fight with Frank Shamrock from an old Vale Tudo Japan show from 97 (I think?),great fight,especially for the time,with a nutty ending.He also had the balls to stand infront of one of the hardest hitters in MMA history Igor Vovchanchyn and swing for the fences like a madman.Legend.

EDIT- Just found this video.The Inoue vs Frank Shamrock fight from VTJ'97.Quality isn't great but deffo worth a watch for anyone that hasn't seen it.Its in 2 parts.

http://www.mmatko.com/frank-shamrock-vs-en...ideo-vale-tudo/

Edited by wandshogun09

I've been powering through the UFC shows. Well apart from the Fight Night shows, but I found a torrent with them so I'll get to them soon enough. I'm onto UFC 64.

Stuff I've really enjoyed from the last few has been ...

Hermes Franca vs. Jamie Varner - UFC 62

Spencer Fisher vs. Matt Wiman - UFC 60

Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin - UFC 59

Rich Franklin vs. David Loiseau - UFC 58

BJ Penn vs. George St. Pierre - UFC 58

Joe Doerksen vs. Nate Marquardt - UFC 58

There's also Evan Tanner's submission of Justin Levens at UFC 59 with the triangle choke when he gets spiked and holds onto the hold. That show also seen an AWESOME knockout from Sylvia on Arlovski.

Joe Doerksen vs. Nate Marquardt - UFC 58

There's also Evan Tanner's submission of Justin Levens at UFC 59 with the triangle choke when he gets spiked and holds onto the hold.

Ah I remember that one. Evan Tanner was a hell of an entertaining fighter from what I recall. RIP dude.

• Paid Members

i was a big fan of Tanner's, i remember never liking the guy until he fought Phil Baroni, then i became a fan. Same thing happened with Matt Lindland, i was never a fan until he fought Baroni.

Baroni makes me fans of his opponents.

• Paid Members
Has anybody ever seen any of the early WEC events? Im kind've contemplating getting a bunch of the older ones. Any to recommend?

Doug Marshall (who looks unrecognisable in comparison to his later fights) has a good slugfest with Lavar Johnson at heavyweight. T

i just watched that, fucking wild fight. Both guys throwdown, im a fan of both guys they always have fights like that. Marshall at this point looks like a slightly slimmer Tank Abbott, it's unbelievable how much he's transformed over the years.

Marshall needs to be in the one of the big promotions, for fun's sake!!

• Paid Members

right then...help needed!

a friend of mine is getting into MMA, he's a UFC buff right now, but he's completely out of the loop in terms of other promotions and stuff. Sooo ive told him im going to put together a compilation of other fights for him, i'm looking for dramatic type fights, fast ko's, slugfests, that kind of thing...all action.

So far, ive got:

Melvin Manheof vs Cyborg Santos (Cage Rage 16)

Doug Marshall vs Lavar Johnson (WEC 9)

John Polakowski vs Olaf Alfonso (WEC 9)

help please :)

no UFC fights!

right then...help needed!

a friend of mine is getting into MMA, he's a UFC buff right now, but he's completely out of the loop in terms of other promotions and stuff. Sooo ive told him im going to put together a compilation of other fights for him, i'm looking for dramatic type fights, fast ko's, slugfests, that kind of thing...all action.

So far, ive got:

Melvin Manheof vs Cyborg Santos (Cage Rage 16)

Doug Marshall vs Lavar Johnson (WEC 9)

John Polakowski vs Olaf Alfonso (WEC 9)

help please :)

no UFC fights!

Josh Thomson vs Gil Melendez 2

Big Nog vs Josh Barnett 1 and 2 (more a ground game showcase if you want one in there)

Fedor vs Cro Cop (signifcance value)

Cung Le vs Scott Smith 1

Shogun vs Lil Nog

If you are looking for more fast ko,s just feed him so early Cro Cop from Pride around 2002-2005

Im also partial too Frank Shamrock vs Phil Baroni for the atmosphere, trash talk and enjoyable fight