MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

I rewatched Pride's Bushido 7 earlier.

The main event has Takanori Gomi vs Luiz Azeredo. Azaredo spends the first 2 minutes tagging Gomi with all kinds of shots which ends with Gomi hitting one of the best knockouts i've ever seen. The fact that he wouldn't stop punching + a ring invasion made this stick out in my mind :)

I rewatched Pride's Bushido 7 earlier.

The main event has Takanori Gomi vs Luiz Azeredo. Azaredo spends the first 2 minutes tagging Gomi with all kinds of shots which ends with Gomi hitting one of the best knockouts i've ever seen. The fact that he wouldn't stop punching + a ring invasion made this stick out in my mind :)

It was a great KO but Gomi was an absolute prick with his post match actions, and Moron Ranallo was even worse trying to defend him. There is a great KO in the Krazy Horse/Maeda opener aswell, and a wicked Aaron Riley head kick that KOs Omigawa. There are a couple of absolute stinkers mind in Gono/Gracie and Chonan/Schembri.

• Paid Members
ahhh yeh, Shamrock/Ortiz I is an epic, the fight itself isn't amazing but the whole situation/atmosphere was just outstanding.

I actually thought the fight itself was pretty damn good. It lit up at the right times and wasn't ever boring. I also loved Ortiz's entrance. Really had me hyped up.

It seems like UFC 40 was when it became absolutely like the UFC we see today, right down to the cool intro video.

they had the OTT ramps and fireworks then though, they toned it back down around UFC 45 and it's stayed the same ever since. I kind of liked the ramps, it was very 'pro wrestling' but it was kinda cool.

• Paid Members
Why did Gomi go so apeshit at the end?

not really sure, Azredo was a chute boxe guy so there was probably some kind of shit talking before hand.

One of the best KO's ive ever seen.

I'm sure that was the second time Gomi and Azeredo had fought as well.

I feel Gomi went apeshit because Azeredo probably hurt him. He was making Gomi look like a bitch with the standup and Gomi luckily landed that 2 punch combo. The thing was Takanori Gomi had brought his STUDENTS along *Who were ranging from age 5-15* to watch so what an example to set by trying to punch your unconscious opponent.

No one did the build-up like Pride. 'That' music and all the fighters being introduced at the beginning in the ridiculously sized stadiums.

Pride was very pro wrestling orientated which is probably why I liked it so much. I much preferred the ring over the cage as well. I think the cage limits a lot of guys, especially the ones who came over from Pride.

I gotta say though, as far as entrances go, when fighters walk down the ramp with their team it always gives it the 'big-time' feel as opposed to guys walking out on their own.

• Paid Members
No one did the build-up like Pride. 'That' music and all the fighters being introduced at the beginning in the ridiculously sized stadiums.

Pride was very pro wrestling orientated which is probably why I liked it so much. I much preferred the ring over the cage as well. I think the cage limits a lot of guys, especially the ones who came over from Pride.

I gotta say though, as far as entrances go, when fighters walk down the ramp with their team it always gives it the 'big-time' feel as opposed to guys walking out on their own.

And then theres this:

Epic.

Although EBB, on the other hand, you don't tend to get any Stall-n-Wall types as they'll pull them off the ropes and make them restart in the centre.

I think it was Joe Rogan that said he wished UFC had the yellow card system and I'm inclined to agree. 10% reduction to the purse for continual stalling and not trying to finish the fight. Would sure make the lay n pray guys work for the moolah.

It's not about punishing on being 'defensive' its punishing for not trying to finish the fight. That's the purpose of fighting, to beat your opponent.

Several fights i've sat through and just wished the yellow card system was in affect. Nothing hurts a fighter more than having the money taken away.

• Paid Members
So I've finally seen Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock from UFC 40.

Absolutely loved it. It started as a bit of a two sided war and even when they took it to the ground, they continued to battle on there in great fashion. It got a bit one sided the more it went on, but Ken Shamrock's absolute refusal to be beaten just kept this going. Ortiz kept throwing bombs and then going for submissions and Shamrock would either 1) not budge or 2) get out in superb fashion.

I was a bit worried going into this fight as many of the big fights I had watched had been a bit disappointing, but this one certainly didn't disappoint.

UFC 40 was a cracker of a card.Besides Tito-Kenny there was Chuck-Babalu 1 aswell with the awesome head kick finish.

Mark Weir vs Phillip Miller on the prelims was a great little scrap aswell.And there was Tiki getting clattered by Robbie Lawler which I never get tired of seeing.

• Paid Members

I been watching the UFC Best Of 2007 DVD over the last couple of days.

Its a great collection and Id recommend anyone just getting into MMA to get it.A great DVD to introduce someone to MMA.

Frankie Edgar vs Tyson Griffin (UFC 67)

Martin Kampmann vs Drew McFedries (UFC 68)

Kenny Florian vs Dokonjonosuke Mishima (UFC Fight Night)

Georges St Pierre vs Matt Serra (UFC 69)

Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga (UFC 70)

Keith Jardine vs Houston Alexander (UFC 71)

Chuck Liddell vs Rampage Jackson (UFC 71)

Spencer Fisher vs Sam Stout (UFC Fight Night)

Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida (UFC 72)

Houston Alexander vs Alessio Sakara (UFC 75)

Marcus Davis vs Paul Taylor (UFC 75)

Rampage Jackson vs Dan Henderson (UFC 75)

Shogun Rua vs Forrest Griffin (UFC 76)

Jon Koppenhaver vs Jared Rollins (TUF 6 Finale)

Roger Huerta vs Clay Guida (TUF 6 Finale)

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva (UFC 79)

Georges St Pierre vs Matt Hughes (UFC 79)

All thats really missing is Couture vs Sylvia and oddly theres no Anderson Silva on there.

Just watched the Akiyama intro. That is one of my favourite songs ever. Andrea Bocelli is god-like in my eyes.

Shame that Sexyama was a cheating CUNT during that fight :) Saku>Sexyama

Speaking of Best-of's. Think i'll put my Sakuraba best of on tonight. Maybe i'll be able to endure Saku-Royce again!

Edited by darepool