MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

the biggest problem with them is the quality. I have a full Fedor fightography, but the older stuff has some awful quality. Its better for newer stuff because the fights are being capped in HD or whatever, but some of the older stuff is bad.

I think a lot depends on the comp maker, how much footage they try to squeeze on a disc, and the availability of the show. For example, on that Penn comp I was talking about even some of the UFC footage used is ropey, and that is available in perfect quality. You should be able to pick up a really nice complete comp of Fedor's fights, as I know all his Rings fights are available in very good quality.

• Paid Members

viewed Rumble on the Rock 6 last night, it's part of that 5 event set that you can pick up for dirt cheap over on amazon. I remember the ROTR shows happening back in the day, but it was before the times where i could readily get my hands on shows, so for a lot of this stuff i just scanned the results. This was the first time i've ever seen a lot of the stuff on this show. ROTR resembles Cage Rage in how it's shows go, it's packed with local homegrown fighters usually fighting overseas stars, there's a couple of 'freak' type matches and always a few real high quality fights.

I enjoyed this from start to finish, there wasn't a bad fight on the card, some real good fights, some quick finishes and a little unsung classic i'd never heard of (which is always nice). i'll do little write up's for some of the fights at some point, but i highly recommend you pick up this boxset,

• Paid Members
:laugh: Sorry...just a big fight in the crowd right in the middle of the main event.The camera actually cut away from the fight in the cage to film it a few times,which was a bit odd but added to the whole outlaw feel Ebb mentioned.

I remember picking up a KOTC set which was similar to the ROTR Ebb mentioned. Shit loads of fights on there. Pretty interesting seeing Rampage before his PRIDE days.

I miss PRIDE. UFC comes nowhere near to matching them for the 'epic' feel of their shows.

Rioheroes 1-4: The Raw Beginning

I got hold of copy of this Rioheroes DVD that covers the first four shows and this is Brazilian Vale Tudo/NHB at its most primitive. No idea of when this took place, or who the participants are as there is no information even up on Sherdog, but I would guess 2006/7.

When I say primitive this has to be seen to be believed, as the first 'event' is held on what appears to be an empty car park, with mats placed on the floor. It is bare knuckle combat, and there is only a handful of people watching (like some underground fight club), and several of those are the participants. It appears to be anything goes (within reason) as headbutts, 12-6 elbow strikes etc are all legal, and the fight takes place on these small mats and if you venture off them onto the concrete, then the fight gets restarted on the mat.

I have only watched the first two events so far, but the real interesting stuff is in their second show, where they have moved off the abandoned car park and the fights take place in a gym. The first fight in the second show sees the fight actually halted after a guy takes a tumble backwards trying to avoid a punch, and stumble into a glass window which then breaks and falls on top of him. Fortunately, he is not badly hurt, and just has one nasty looking cut to the top of his head, but things could have been a lot worse. The main reason to watch this show is that it features a man vs woman fight. On first glance I thought it might have been some transexual (like that famous Thai kickboxer), but nope, it was definately a woman.

Sadly, no idea who the two combatants were but here is a brief overview of what actually went down. The guy is fairly dismissive of the girl at first as he just lets her hit him in the face a few times at first, he then throws a couple of kicks at her, but somehow she manages to tackle him to the ground. She then headbutts him repetitively, and mounts him for some more ground and pound. He manages to buck and roll, but she locks in a triangle quickly. He picks her up in the triangle position and slams her on the mat, but they end up going off the fighting parameters and it gets re-started standing. The woman again gets a take down, but the guy manages to get her in a guillotine. She pops out of this and then maneuvres into an arm bar. The guy is about to tap, but it certainly looks as though he doesn't, but they stop the fight anyway (maybe he quit verbally) and the woman is declared the winner. The guy protests this (and it definately looked as though he didn't tap, even though he was going to), but to no avail, and the woman cuts a brief promo in Spanish. The guys face is pretty battered as are the girls knuckles.

I will try and watch the remainder of the shows this evening, but it is certainly something different to what an MMA fan will expect to see today.

• Paid Members
:laugh: Sorry...just a big fight in the crowd right in the middle of the main event.The camera actually cut away from the fight in the cage to film it a few times,which was a bit odd but added to the whole outlaw feel Ebb mentioned.

yeh, its nuts. The camera cuts away and films the actual audience instead of the fight for like 2mins. Im assuming that camera man lost his job.

The Penn/Gracie fight wasn't all that though, Gracie couldn't do anything to Penn but even though it was a unanimous victory for BJ he never looked close to finishing the fight at any time.

• Paid Members

Yeah the Penn vs Gracie fight was a bit underwhelming.Still nice to see it anyway but I'd like to have seen BJ go for the kill a bit more.

And Magnum,that Rioheroes stuff sounds mental.This is the first I've heard of it.Where did you find that?

Edited by wandshogun09

Rio Heroes was all over the net a few years ago, it was on internet PPV or something, there was a lot of controversy surrounding it.

Some of the later shows (like Rioheroes 12/13) were, as I was trying to find a bit of information on the promotion after watching some of the first disc. This first show I have is a clone of a retail release, but I have no idea if it was a US release or from elsewhere.

BAMMA 2

As someone who doesn't really know that much about the UK scene, I finally got round to watching Bamma 2 last night and on the whole enjoyed the show. A few negatives, a few stars of the future and excellent production values throughout.

I might aswell start with the announcing team, which I felt was a huge negative to the show, although we should be greatful that OJ Borg was nowhere in site. I actually thought Christian O'Connell was the best of the bunch, as he had the presenting experience and was clearly a big fan (although I would say only a recent one) of the sport. Bret Freeman appeared to be in the Frank Mir position of calling the action and intricacies of what was going on, however he wasn't that great at this, ignoring an attempted D'Arce in the first fight of the evening, and completely missing the triangle set up and choke in the main event as the three of them were gassing about something else. The final member of the triumvirate was Graham Little (no idea of his credentials but he is one of the newsreaders from Sky Sports News). This guy was really bad, and just appeared to be trying to be funny all evening. When Gunnar Nelson started out in a Karate stance, O'Connell likened it to Machida, the best Little could do was say 'some character from Street Fighter II', when they talked about Alan Omer studying from youtube, Little piped up with how he studied to cook a pork casserole from youtube (WTF?), and he spent an awful lot of time trying to make fun of Peter Duncan's pink shorts and purple hair. I would certainly ditch this joker from the next broadcast as he adds nothing, and by having a two man announcing team will save them from talking over each other.

The best fight on the card was Mike Ling vs Russell Smith which was an all action one rounder that Ling won via rear naked choke. Ling has a real chance of at least getting a crack in the big league, as this win took him to 6-0, but he is 6' 7'' and fights at Middleweight. Similarly to how Corey Hill got a shot due to his freakish dimensions, I think Ling will be offered a similar opportunity at some point.

A lot of the hype was surrounding Gunnar Nelson who I knew nothing about, but he is an undefeated 21 year old Icelander who they were even referring to as 'The Prodigy' (I hate it when MMA fighters have the same nicknames as someone else). He had also supposedly been training with various MMA camps including spending some time with BJ Penn and also Renzo Gracie. They played up his Grappling and Jiu-Jitsu game (supposedly defeated Jeff Monson), and if he is as good as they say he will clearly be making headway in the States before long. He was very composed in his fight here against Sam Elsdon, taking him down early before slowly transitioning to a rear naked choke which got the tap.

The final guy who looks to have a promising future is Alan Omer, the 21 year old German who won the BAMMA Featherweight title in the main event. He defeated Paul Reed who was 17 years his senior, and the announcers started going on about how Reed had the experience factor over Omer, despite the fact that he only had one more fight than his German opponent. An interesting note, and I have no idea if this is true, is that supposedly Reed convinced Omer to have this fight over 5 five minute rounds rather than 3. Well Reed ended up tapping to a triangle in the fourth round in a fight that he probably would have won had it gone to decision after three.

The other fights to air were a pretty dull AJ Wenn/Ali McClean fight that was declared a split draw (I had McClean winning), a fairly blah Peter Duncan decision over Alexander Izidro from the prelim card, and Rob Sinclair's first round knockout of Nathan Beer.

The next card, which they hyped pretty heavily, is set to be headlined by Alex Reid vs Tom Watson. I don't see 'the Reidanator' having a hope in hell's chance of winning this one.