MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Royce Graice (13-3-3) vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (21-10-1): K1 Dynamite USA!! June 02 2007 - skipped forward this. Now ive never seen the first fight between these two, some people say its epic, others say its a cure for watching paint dry. I'm pretty sure we'd have had the same result here if it wasn't for the 3 x 5 minute rule. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as i remember...this would have benefited from a Japanese crowd because the US fans shit all over it. Gracie just doesn't care what a crowd think, he has his gameplan and he sticks to it. Here it basically involves holding Sakuraba against the ropes and attempting one submission (i think). When speaking of worked fights, i'd actually have been suspicious of this because when Royce holds Sakuraba, Sak makes no attempt to get out and it doesn't look like Gracie's holding him tight. The reason i say it aint is because Sakuraba does throw some pretty hefty knees at Gracie's head. It's an odd little fight between two MMA legends that i actually thought Sakuraba won.

Sakuraba has since proved that he had more in the tank than what he showed here. As it stands this was Gracie's last fight, guess it would have been a fitting way to go out... If he hadn't had been busted for steroids soon after! (Morton & Gracie on the same show). If there was one family you think wouldn't use steroids, it'd have been the Gracies. What the fuck!?

4096-GracieSakuraba141K1Dyna0607.jpg

Just finished watching the Dan Severn/Shannon Ritch fight from X-1 and whatever it was, it was lame all the way through.

Ritch comes out looking like Jamie Dundee with this ridiculous oversized hat. The first round pretty much consists of some weak strikes (both punches and kicks), a fair bit of them in the clinch with not a lot of action, a throw by Dan, and a couple of submission attempts (with Severn practically falling into the heel hook).

Round Two kicks off with more soft offense before Ritch throws a head kick which puts Severn down. From the camera angle you cant see how much of the kick landed, but the commentators state that it wasnt a hard strike and didnt appear like much of it did. Ritch then pounces and tries for a rear naked, but fairly comfortably Severn escapes, takes an eternity to apply the arm triangle, Ritch just lies there, doesnt try to buck, wriggle free or escape and then taps.

A very suspect watch indeed.

Being ill and bored i put on a King of the Cage dvd on this morning. I bought it at Woolworths ages ago for 1.99 i think and i've never watched it. It has 'Knockout Nightmare', 'Showtime', 'Greatest Hits' and 'Gladiators' all on one dvd.

I've only ever really watched UFC, so i'm clueless to most the guys on the dvd. I started to watch Greatest Hits.

Its starts with Ricco Rodriguez vs Travis Fulton. Rodriguez wins near the end of the 1st round with an armbar and looked pretty good.

Next, Antonio Mc Kee VS Chris Brenan. McKee continually took down Brenan for most the 1st round, but without doing a whole lot. As soon as the 2nd round starts, Mckee gets caught with a brutal kick to the face! He was out for quite a while.

Vernon Tiger White VS Todd Medina. White wins by KO in about 10 seconds.

Marvin Eastman VS Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Rampages debut apparently. Eastman is massive. As wide as he is tall. Rampage loses by decision in a decent fight, Eastman seems to get away with a couple of illegal elbows. Ken Shamrock mentions on commentrary that we are watching a future world champion in Rampage.

Duane "BANG" Ludwig VS Shad Smith. Ok fight with a great finish. Ludwig just hits kick and punch after kick and punch until Smiths corner throw the towel in.

Tony Galindo VS Kurt Rojo. Again only lasts about 10 seconds. Galindo lands a punch which looks pretty crazy, especially in slow motion.

Theres a few more fights to go that i havent watched. Enjoyable so far and definetly worth 1.99 as i have another 3 events aswell.

• Paid Members
Next, Antonio Mc Kee VS Chris Brenan. McKee continually took down Brenan for most the 1st round, but without doing a whole lot. As soon as the 2nd round starts,

i need to see that.

Antonio McKee has been tooting his own horn for years saying hes the best 155'er in the world. He's got a very good record (23-3-2), only problem is he has 18 wins by decision and hasn't finished a fight since 2001! quite possibly the most boring fighter in history, high profile promoters won't touch him.

Marvin Eastman VS Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Rampages debut apparently. Eastman is massive. As wide as he is tall. Rampage loses by decision in a decent fight, Eastman seems to get away with a couple of illegal elbows. Ken Shamrock mentions on commentrary that we are watching a future world champion in Rampage.

Rampage actually had two more fights prior to this one, however, it is very likely that this was the first ever recorded fight of Rampage's career as the other two were on low level regional shows. Maybe some dude and his camcorder recorded them, but it is very unlikely that copies of those fights exist.

• Paid Members
Next, Antonio Mc Kee VS Chris Brenan. McKee continually took down Brenan for most the 1st round, but without doing a whole lot. As soon as the 2nd round starts,

i need to see that.

Antonio McKee has been tooting his own horn for years saying hes the best 155'er in the world. He's got a very good record (23-3-2), only problem is he has 18 wins by decision and hasn't finished a fight since 2001! quite possibly the most boring fighter in history, high profile promoters won't touch him.

great timing...McKee's at it again:

"The only person that can beat BJ is me. Let me tell you why, despite what you critics say about me. My style is impeccable, ok. First of all, no one can stop the takedown. Second of all, no one can hit me and third of all, no one can take me down. So how do you plan on winning the fight?"

"When you look and you study the statistics of BJ Penn and Saint Pierre, Saint Pierre

• Paid Members

never heard of it, i just bought it though. Some decent fighters on there.

if anyone else finds obscure MMA dvd's like that, post some links up. They are pretty hard to find.

Edited by Ebb

I've been going through these UFC shows. I've reached the Alternate bouts for UFC 13.

Main high points in the last shows have been the first show ups for Joe Rogan and Bruce Buffer, as well as Tank Abbott being a total walloper and Vitor Belfort punching the shit out of people.

Good times. I'm really enjoying this stuff.

• Paid Members

Anderson Silva (12-2) vs. Lee Murray (9-1-1): Cage Rage 8 - Knights of The Octagon, September 11 2004 - one of the legendary 'early' fights of British MMA, i remember this fight being a big deal back at the time. This was Murray's last MMA fight (everyone knows what happened after this), and surprisingly found Murray back in Cage Rage after winning his UFC debut the same year (does anyone know why he went back to Cage Rage?). Anderson Silva at this point was not considered the dominant force he is today, more of an up and coming international fighter and one of the best new fighters to come out of Brazil.

The fight had a real intense UK vs Brazil feel, the staredown at the weigh in's almost ended in a fight and the crowd is hostile towards Silva (added heat added because Murray had previously KO'd Silva's training partner Pele). The fight kind of reminds me of the old Brazilian MMA events where the crowd just seems rowdy and on edge. It's not the nicest atmosphere but it does add to the fight.

6518.jpg

The fight itself is a bit of a letdown. Anderson proving here that, like today he isn't prepared to throw caution to the wind until he see's an opening. Murray's threat comes from the fact that he's got big power in his hands, Anderson knew and fought a cautious and strategic fight. Anderson basically peppered Murray's legs for the first 2 rounds, not really taking any huge risks until finally unleashing some trademark flashy kicks in the 3rd which led to the fight nearly being stopped after Murray went down. In the wrestling department i think Murray got the better of this, he took Anderson down a couple of times from the clinch but stood up as soon as Anderson attempted submissions, the problem then being that Anderson was beating him up everytime they stood on their feet.

I gave it 30-27 for Anderson, although the (biased) commentary team tried to give the first round to Lee, which i thought was pretty ridiculous considering Anderson dropped Murray with a kick. Anderson nearly started a riot after the fight by presenting Murray with a rolled up Brazilian flag. Silva then does an OTT celebration waving another flag around (a member of Murray's team threw the original flag back at Silva)...nothing came of it, but it could have caused mayhem

It's a fight worth checking out mainly because it's got that little bit of infamy behind it, and if you follow British MMA it's a fight you need to see.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Jeremy Bailey (6-4) vs. Phil Gildea (1-3): Cage Rage 8 - Knights of The Octagon, September 11 2004 - Bailey is one of the biggest idiots in MMA, having said that, if he fought more often and was as good as his personality suggest he probably could have been a bit of a star, he's basically the Krazy Horse Bennett of UK MMA. This fight was a rematch from the first fight which Bailey won by submission.

You might think this is a weird fight to talk about, but it'll soon become clear why...

This might be the only fight in MMA where a fighter gets deducted a point before the fight actually starts. Jeremy Bailey lands a right hand on Gildra during the fucking staredown. The fact that the commentary don't actually seem to think it's a bad thing perhaps indicates that British MMA at this point wasn't quite upto par with other countries in terms of professionalism. A near brawl ensues, clears and the fight finally gets going.

6461.jpg

Bailey trying to get at Gildea before the fight actually starts

The fight itself isn't the all out brawl the pre-fight promises but as far as domestic level MMA goes, it's a decent fight (for a while). Both guys clearly don't want to lose, so there's a hesitancy involved but both guys do attempt to land bombs at times. The 2nd round is where things start to get interesting, Bailey starts to get frustrated at his lack of success on the feet so he just sits down and calls Gildea in, the crowd immediatly boo and Bailey stands back up. The fight remains hesitant until Bailey finally lands a sweet right hand from nowhere which probably wins him the fight...what does Bailey do? he jumps in with a flying stomp on Gildea then as the ref tries to seperate them lands an upkick on Gildea as he's trying to stand up. Complete lunacy which leads to Bailey's disqualification.

This aint the kind of thing you need to rush out and see, but as i was watching Cage Rage 8, i thought i'd chime in with it because it's one of those 'what the fuck?' moments that sometimes makes MMA so damn interesting.

Edited by Ebb

This was Murray's last MMA fight (everyone knows what happened after this), and surprisingly found Murray back in Cage Rage after winning his UFC debut the same year (does anyone know why he went back to Cage Rage?).

I am sure it had something to do with legal issues (quelle suprise with Murray) that meant he was unable to get back into the US, so the UFC couldnt book him. Damn shame as the guy looked great on his debut choking out Jorge Rivera, come their was the prospect of maybe doing something with Tito down the line.

I watched the WFA's lone venture into PPV over the past two nights (headlined by Rampage vs Lindland), so expect a lengthy write up tomorrow at some point.

WFA King of the Streets PPV 07.22.06

This was the WFA's lone venture into PPV from mid 2006. The commentary team for the event were Barry Tompkins (no idea who he is or where he came from, but he clearly had some background in announcing), Stephen Quadros and Bill Goldberg. Phil Baroni made a brief appearance at the start of the show running down the odds for the fights, but for someone who exudes confidence he was bloody awful. On to the fights:

Rob McCullough vs Harris Sarmiento These two had fought previously in the WEC, but McCullough had since gone on a six fight win streak, whilst Sarmiento had lost his last four. The fight was pretty much a Muay Thai one, and a poor one at that. McCullough utilised some hard leg kicks, but at the same time never really pressed to finish, whilst Sarmiento fought the entire fight on the backfoot. A poor opener, which Goldberg had the nerve to call 'an entertaining fight'.

Ricco Rodriguez vs Ron Waterman Another rematch, and Suave was in terrible physical shape having officially weighed in at 298lb and his gut hanging over his shorts. Waterman on the otherhand looked superb for a guy of 40. At the end of the first round both were gassed badly, and they looked as though they had gone five rounds rather than one. Waterman was just hanging in at the end of the round, as Ricco looked as though he had him beat after tagging him with some hard right hands and knees. The doctor stopped the fight at the end of the first, die to Waterman's right eye being all swollen, and H2O Man telling him that he can't see out of it. A slightly more dignified way of losing than quitting on his stool, which is what I though he was going to do.

Art Santore vs Ivan Salaverry I had never seen Santore before, but he fights out of Team Quest and came out dressed like the Godfather in a pimp suit. Last time I had seen Salaverry was in his stinker of a fight against Nate Marquardt in the main of the first Ultimate Finale show. The announcers say that this will be a ground battle, but the first round is fought entirely on its feet and at a good pace with both fighters willing to trade and exchange. Salverry just picks Santore apart in the second and lands a beautiful head kick that wobbles Santore, knocks him down with a left and then mounts him and unloads with some ground and pound before the official stops the fight. Santore's face is a bloody mess and Salaverry looked great in this fight which was easily the best on the card so far.

Jason Miller vs Lodune Sincaid Miller claims to be representing the style of 'Pro Wrestling' and is hailed as being 'from parts unknown', and he had a really entertaining entrance. This was all Miller who dominated it standing for the first 90 seconds until getting Sincaid to the ground, then handled him there, before maneuvring to a rear naked choke which finished the fight. After the fight Miller did a spinneroonie, and Goldberg referenced Booker T. Looking back I have no idea how Sincaid was ever selected for season one of The Ultimate Fighter.

JMvsLS.jpg

Lyoto Machida vs Vernon White Terrible fight, where the lone highlight was in the second round when the crowd started booing due to the lack of reaction, so White flipped them off. Long periods of time in this one with nothing happening, and Machida was content with getting a shot in (either kick or punch) then getting out, whilst just backpedalling when White came forward. The fight went to the ground twice, but again there was not much action. Not the most auspicious of US debuts for Machida.

VWvsLM.png

Bas Rutten vs Ruben Villareal El Guapo at 41, and having not fought for seven years looked in incredible physical condition. He was actually hurting pretty bad from numerous injuries (rib, ACL etc), but was getting a base pay of $200,000 so wasn't going to be dropping out of this one. Villareal ended up taking this fight on less than 48 hours notice, as Kimo (who was originally scheduled to face Rutten) failed a steroid test and couldn't fight. The crowd came alive for Rutten, who has so much charisma it is untrue. Bas started out throwing some very hard punches but Villareal just took them all, so he then switched his attention to leg kicks, and he just destoyed Ruben's left leg with them to the point he was knocked down and was unable to stand back up, and he had to quit the fight.

Quinton Jackson vs Matt Lindland Very good first round that saw Rampage get a slam in early, but after that it was pretty much all Lindland who dominated with his wrestling and even got a slam in himself. With 30 seconds of the round left he looked as though he had the fight won, as Rampage was trapped in a rear naked choke, but somehow Quinton managed to wriggle free. The second round saw a lot of the fight in the clinch, but at the same time it was never boring. Lindland went for a guillotine choke, but Rampage slammed him hard and got on top of him. There was another trip by Quinton, and one brief exchange where Rampage landed some hard shots. Going into the final round I had it scored even. The final round saw Lindland dominate the clinch for the first two minutes, before they separated and exchanged punches with both getting some good shots in. Lindland managed to slap on another guillotine, and dragged Rampage to the ground, but this was not locked in as tight as the rear naked in round one. Quinton managed to pop out and deliver some ground and pound for the final 30 seconds of the fight, including giving The Law a nasty cut on the bridge of his nose. Rampage ended up getting the split decision, though as much as it pains me to say, I scored the fight 29-28 for Lindland, and he to looked visibly shocked that he didn't get the decision. A great main event.

So ends the WFA's lone PPV. They did announce a second show for October of 2006, but nothing came of it, and eventually the UFC bought the WFA. At the time Dana White said the sole reason for doing so was so that he could acquire Quinton Jackson's contract, but that has since changed with him claiming so that he could acquire both Rampage and Machida's contract, although I don't how anyone would be interested in getting Machida after witnessing his fight here. For viewing purposes watch Rampage/Lindland, Salaverry/Santore and for historial purposes the Rutten fight, nothing else worth going out of your way to see.