MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

More on Belfort/Charles taken from the December 29 1997 issue of the Wrestling Observer.

Belfort was originally scheduled to face Brad Kohler at the Ultimate Japan show, but came down with a parasitic bacterial infection that had weakened him, so he couldnt train properly. He wasnt going to fight but due to the fact that so much of the promotion for the show had been based on him appearing, he was allowed to hand pick his opponent (Kohler who at this time was 7-0 was considered too much of a threat for an under par Belfort) and his team chose a 'chubby' 38 year old former judo champion, in Joe 'The Ghetto Man' Charles. Charles was 5-8 in his career, and that included one suspicious fight against Taktarov on a Vale Tudo show in Japan.

The fight went 4:04, and Belfort whose main forte is Boxing never threw one punch. Neither man had a tenseness and reactions that one would expect in a real UFC fight. There were wide openings for both to execute moves and both at times were wide open for punches, yet no blows were thrown. Charles even rolled into an advantageous position before being reversed in a RINGS looking finish. Belfort looked totally unhappy with the situation and showed no emotion in winning.

Meltzer doesnt know for sure if it was a work, but was pretty certain it was, and that there was definately some sort of pre fight agreement that neither were going to strike.

Oh yeah and Rampage alledges foul play from officials in his fight with Sakuraba in Pride

I thought Rampage was asked to lose but refused and lost anyway?

This is all im going on below, Rampage was also be rumored to being upset with how thePride official treated him as they mad eit so he had to lose 20 pounds to fight at 195 thus draining him him for the fight thats what I meant by foul play

Prior to making his PRIDE debut against Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures) in July 2001, Quinton Jackson (Pictures) said PRIDE executives offered to pay him a $2000 bonus if he lost by knockout or submission and did not tap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson said he signed to fight for $10,000, but alleged that PRIDE executives, whom he said "screwed" him over, offered $12,000 if he was finished in the ring by the Japanese star.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm never the type of fighter that would lose for money," Jackson said. "I don't do that. But they told me, 'If you win this fight, you get $10,000.' But they told me -- these are like the two people from PRIDE who got fired recently, I don't know if the president of PRIDE knew about it -- but they told me themselves: 'If you lose by knockout or submission and you don't tap, you get $12,000.'

"I said, 'But what if I knock him out?' and they said 'You get $10,000.' Then I understood what was going on.

Edited by jimufctna24

Although very few think there is any validity too it there was talk the Franklin vs Ken Shamrock fight was rigged with Shamrock taking a dive by purposly slipping and Franklin totally oblivious picking the bones

Another intersting titbit with Shamrock is that sometime after his WWE after run a strong rumor exists that he had a very bad coke habit at the early part of the decade during his divorce and a falling out with his adopted father and of course he could get away with that in Japan however this must have subsided by 2002 when he fought Tito in the states due to drug testing in Nevada

Luckily apart from Sean Salmon and the Dave Legano saga in Cage Rage there have been less and less signs of fixed fights and corruption in recent times

Luckily apart from Sean Salmon and the Dave Legano saga in Cage Rage there have been less and less signs of fixed fights and corruption in recent times

Please feel free to enlighten the uninitiated, such as myself, in regards to what has happened with Salmon and Legano.

Sure

Salmon threw a fight voluntarily unownst to his oppenent (who was a journeyman at best) allowed him to submit Salmon in a fight last year so he would not sustain much damage so he could train with the wolflair he were bringing him in to help with wrestling to aid Bisping and Kongo

He made the mistake of admitting this "In the second round, I took him down again," Salmon wrote. "He went for an armbar, I defended it [only to prove to myself that he couldn't get it] and then I put my arm back in to give him the win so that I could return to England healthy."

With Legano nothing has been confirmed but the was talk on the interenet and FSM of all places that a rematch against a fighter who had early defeated him and his fight with Kimo were fixed

the quote from a source alledged that Legano was marketable due to staring in films like Harry Potter but couldnt fight a lick I asked a friend who was close to the mma fight game after it happned and he said that he and heard the Kimo fight was fixed, it should be noted though there was no proof and the baldies denied this.

• Paid Members

the Shamrock/Franklin was one always weird...in fact, nearly all of Ken's recent bouts have been odd. Check out the Sakuraba & Buzz Berry fights, Ken goes down rather easily.

I hadn't heard about the Legeno/Kimo one...but i do have that fight here, i'll watch it shortly :)

Isn't it weird that the same fighters names keep popping up, Kimo, Sakuraba, Shamrock, haha i see a pattern. The Sean Salmon thing kicked up a stink online a few months ago, whilst what he did probably goes on a lot on the regional shows (journeymen wont risk injury if their caught in something), it was just ridiculous for Salmon to admit it. That guy's career has turned into a bit of a joke, shame.

There's another one that cause a bit of hoopla when it happened between Dan Severn & Shannon Ritch. There used to be video's of it floating about, but i cant find any now :(

Its my opinion out of the 3 fights mentioned of Shamrocks none of them are fixed but there is corruption involved in one

The Franklin one is irrelevent because apart from a punchers chance to Franklins suspect chin he had no chance anyway, The Buzz Berry one is a fair cop as well too bad it happened in a very dodgy organisation

The Sakuraba one is a horrible stoppage I dont think it was a complete fix but if Shamrock would have knocked Saku down would it have been stopped so soon? Would it fuck just look at the James Thompson vs Yoshida fight where Yoshida was done for ages before it was stopped, Pride was a awesome organisation but they did like to protect there draws

There's another one that cause a bit of hoopla when it happened between Dan Severn & Shannon Ritch. There used to be video's of it floating about, but i cant find any now :(

This is on the comp I mentioned a page back. I'll try and watch is whilst I am having some tea later.

In regards to Salmon, the guy seems to have just gone backwards since main eventing the Fight Night against Rashad and being on the receiving end of a highlight reel KO.

• Paid Members

well in all fairness, Sean Salmon should probably have never been in the UFC to begin with, he was fodder for Rashad Evans.

ive just stuck on K-1 Dynamite Show from the US (Brock Lesnar's debut show)...from what im remembering, the show was free to attend. The DVD claims there's 54,000 people there, the place looked 2 thirds empty though. A Strange show, very weird card, Dennis Rodman lighting an olympic torch thing. It feels like K-1's attempt to break the US market big time, it failed... I'm gonna browse through a few fights now and check back with some thoughts...

• Paid Members
The Buzz Berry one is a fair cop as well too bad it happened in a very dodgy organisation

i remember Shamrock being asked about that fight in an interview, and he said 'that whole deal was bullshit' or something similar. Anyone kknow anymore on there?

Cage Rage always put it's homegrown 'stars' in against washed up MMA stars.

• Paid Members

Bernard Ackah (1-0) vs. Johnny Morton (0-0): K1 Dynamite!! USA (June 02 2007) - will always go down as one of the most infamous fights in MMA history. Johnny Morton was an ex NFL football player, a bit of a celebrity and an excellent athlete all around. He goes up against part time fighter and stand up comedian Bernard Ackah. This was a pre-cursor for the Herschel Walker thing, so it's easy to see why people thought that might end up as a black eye for MMA. This was a total fucking disaster. Morton got laid out cold within a minute, not the hardest punch ever thrown but it put Morton out cold (he's unconcious for several minutes, its actually pretty scary)...as far as first fights on a 'family' based show goes, this was about as bad as it could have been.

Morton then got busted for performance enhancing drugs shortly after and the whole thing was swept under the carpet....but it always get brought up from time to time :p

070603_morton_hmed_9a.hmedium.jpg

it's worth watching to hear the commentary team scramble to make an excuse for the debacle after the fight :)

Edited by Ebb

Bernard Ackah (1-0) vs. Johnny Morton (0-0): K1 Dynamite!! USA (June 02 2007) - will always go down as one of the most infamous fights in MMA history. Johnny Morton was an ex NFL football player, a bit of a celebrity and an excellent athlete all around. He goes up against part time fighter and stand up comedian Bernard Ackah. This was a pre-cursor for the Herschel Walker thing, so it's easy to see why people thought that might end up as a black eye for MMA. This was a total fucking disaster. Morton got laid out cold within a minute, not the hardest punch ever thrown but it put Morton out cold (he's unconcious for several minutes, its actually pretty scary)...as far as first fights on a 'family' based show goes, this was about as bad as it could have been.

Morton then got busted for performance enhancing drugs shortly after and the whole thing was swept under the carpet....but it always get brought up from time to time :p

070603_morton_hmed_9a.hmedium.jpg

it's worth watching to hear the commentary team scramble to make an excuse for the debacle after the fight :)

Goldberg was hilarious

"THIS DOESNT PROVE THAT MMA FIGHTERS ARE TOUGHER THAN NFL PLAYERS"

No one was saying that anyway Bill

- On the Shamrock/Berry debacle I never heard anything and it looked above board but I would not be ata ll suprised

• Paid Members

Goldberg was the fucking pits as a commentator.

I remember him commentating on the Bas Rutten comeback fight against Warpath, and he said something along the lines of..."if you haven't seen Rutten fight before, you're in for a treat, sit back and watch this".

In all fairness Rutten was killing Warpath, but that was one of the most biased pieces of commentary ive ever heard, what a fucking idiot.