MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

just watched some of the special features on the UFC 89 dvd, first UFC DVD ive watched in a while.

Great stuff, you get the countdown, the weigh in's and fighter interviews...which is the pre-fight, post fight (in cage) and post fight interviews with each of the fighters, it's kind of irritating why they edit the interviews from the actual show on disk 1, that dont make much sense but at least they include em.

the behind the scenes featurette is excellent though, nice build ups/interviews about the main event, its cool stuff that ive never seen. If anyone aint seen these featurette's but own the dvd's i recommend you check em out.

As for UFC 89, its weird to see Leben talk about his physical condition when it's well known that he got busted for steroids after the fights. Also Bisping rubbishing Leben's pre-fight claims that he runs away in fights not to get hit...which is exactly what Bisping did in the end (effectively). Leben's pre-fight thoughts on the fight are spot on.

• Paid Members

watching the UFC 90 behind the scenes now...excellent stuff again, this time instead of concentrating on the main event it kind of covers the whole event, contrasting between the fights and whats happening behind the scenes. It even shows Mike Goldberg preparing his notes for the show, it's interesting stuff.

I can't recommend these featurettes enough...watch em.

• Paid Members

Yeah I love all the behind the scenes stuff.The 2 disc UFC DVDs are a big improvement,think the first was 83 with the GSP-Serra rematch.Glad they've stuck with it.

Great stuff, you get the countdown, the weigh in's and fighter interviews...which is the pre-fight, post fight (in cage) and post fight interviews with each of the fighters, it's kind of irritating why they edit the interviews from the actual show on disk 1, that dont make much sense but at least they include em.

That is annoying.I'd rather they put it all in order so disc 1 would be Countdown,press conference,weigh ins and the prelims then disc 2 with the main card fights with the post show stuff and behind the scenes etc.

Then they could leave the pre-fight videos and Rogan interviews where they should be.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah my Rumble On The Rock set came today :thumbsup:

Looking forward to that.Not keen on the way the DVD box is designed though.Looks good on the outside but the discs are in plastic sleeves inside instead of the usual clip thingys that hold the discs in.Weird but looks a good set.

I'll be getting the Superbrawl ones next and some Cage Rage,K-1,Hero's etc.

I've been trying to get all the old Pride DVDs aswell.Last night I watched Pride 1 and had the 'pleasure' of sitting through Severn/Kimo.I hadn't seen it before but I'd heard it sucked....well it did.Perversely entertaining though listening to Quadros and Bas totally frustrated on commentary.Nathan Jones fought on the card aswell which I never knew about and from what I saw he was as shit at MMA as he was pro wrestling :laugh:

I'm working my way through Pride 2004 Heavyweight Grand Prix at the mo. In many ways I prefer it to the current UFC event, perhaps because it feels more like wrestling?

Awesome star studded fights, featuring some real legends such as Big Nog, Fedor, Cro Cop, Randleman etc.

Bas Rutten commentary goodness :cool:

Cro Cop being interviewed laying down prefight :):cool:

Edited by Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Watched Pride 29:Fists Of Fire tonight.Decent show.

PRIDE1009-front.jpg

Mario Sperry vs Hirotaka Yokoi

Fabricio Werdum vs Tom Erikson

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs Hiromitsu Kanehara

Igor Vovchanchyn vs Yoshiki Takahashi

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Stefan Leko

Sergei Kharitonov vs Mu Bae Choi

Kiyoshi Tamura vs Aliev Makhmud

Alistair Overeem vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs Murilo 'Ninja' Rua

Mirko 'Cro Cop' vs Mark Coleman

Highlights of this one for me were

Little Nog vs Overeem-Really good fight.At the start it looks like Overeem's striking will be too much for Nog but he weathers the storm and earns the decision.Nog just had better cardio and ground control and also nearly finished an exhausted Overeem standing near the end.

Shogun vs Kanehara-Shogun's last fight before the famous GP tournament of 2005.He just destroyed Kanehara with kicks,knees and finished with the trademark soccer kicks and stomps.This was fairly impressive because Cro Cop couldn't finish Kanehara in 15 minutes and it took Overeem almost 2 rounds.It took Shogun about 2 minutes.

mauricio_shogun_rua_vs_hiromitsu_kanehara_pride_29.jpg

Cro Cop vs Coleman -This was classic prime Cro Cop.Coleman couldn't take him down which meant only one ending was likely.Mirko battered Coleman with hooks and finally a big uppercut then followed up with a brutal kick to Coleman's head on the ground.

cop-cole.jpg

Rampage vs Ninja-This was the first time I'd seen this fight.It's well known for the decision where Rampage got the nod from the judges and most people didn't agree with it(including Bas,Mauro and even Rampage himself).I did think Ninja should have won but it was a closer fight than I anticipated and not as bad a robbery as I expected from reading about it.

Good fight though and cool to see the rare sight of Page with the Afro.

0.jpg

Tamura vs Makhmud-Not really a highlight but worth a watch for all the wrong reasons.Tamura catches Aliev with a brutal knee to the 'pills' as Bas put it.Makhmud is down for ages,then the round ends.He comes out for round 2 and seems fine,then he waves at the ref that he wants out.Ref ignores him so he fights on only to wave the fight off again shortly after prompting his corner to throw in the towel.Odd fight.

Plus classic a Igor Vovchanchyn KO on Takahashi.Brutal knockout that had Takahashi slumped up the ropes.

There's a real cool extra on this DVD too.Backstage with Bas Rutten where Bas shows you round the empty Saitama Super Arena before the show.You get to see Wanderlei posing in the Pride ring for some goofy Japanese media stuff and his face is priceless when he realizes Bas is ringside taking the piss with a cameraman.Plus you see Mauro doing forward rolls on the floor backstage,Yoshida cookies,and just Bas pissing about backstage.

Cool stuff like this really makes me miss Pride.I love the UFC,WEC,Strikeforce etc but Pride had a bit of fun with it.MMA is such a serious sport it's nice to see a more fun side to it like this.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

BJ Penn (9-2-1) vs. Lyoto Machida (6-0) :K1 Hero's 1, March 26th 2005 - I still think there's a lot of fans that will look at this fight on paper and say 'what the fuck?!' but BJ Penn & Lyoto Machida really did fight...at fucking heavyweight!! This was during the frustrating part of BJ Penn's career where he left the UFC whilst he was Lightweight Champ and went on some kind of world tour fighting whoever he wanted at whatever weight he wanted.

Machida at this point already had that aura around him, he was a disciple of Antonio Inoki in Japan and really made a name for himself a year or so previously when he knocked out Rich Franklin. Machida was well onto his way to being a great fighter, but his style was very anti-entertaining at this point. Machida has tried to pick the pace up in recent years but his karate stance striking was what he was all about here.

Penn came in here looking exactly like BJ Penn, only much podgier. Machida too had a bit of a belly on him and skinhead looking fairly different from the guy that fights in the UFC.

0.jpg

It's not the classic battle fans might expect, but it's a historic battle between two future hall of fame fighters. The majority of this takes place on the feet, both guys take turns of landing decent shots, but there isn't much damage done. What Machida did prove was that BJ Penn, when not fighting at 155, can be taken down. He uses a few effective trips to take BJ to the ground. Machida takes the unanimous decision mainly for the takedowns and because he's slightly busier on the feet. Both guys also appear fatigued during the contest, especially BJ. This was well and truly at the time when BJ didn't take his training seriously (i think BJ's decision to fight at higher weights was probably to do as much with not wanting to train/diet to stay at 155 than anything else), he's fixed this in recent years and looks unstoppable at 155.

If you love MMA, you have to see it for completist sakes, but its not a great fight.

I'm gonna seek out the remainder of the non-UFC Penn fights now. I was a fan when they happened, but the fight were not as readily available as they are now.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Penn vs Machida is one I've been meaning to watch for a while.Keep meaning to get some of them Hero's DVDs.

I'm gonna seek out the remainder of the non-UFC Penn fights now. I was a fan when they happened, but the fight were not as readily available as they are now.

I wanna get the BJ vs Renzo fight from K-1 in Hawaii 2005 on DVD.I think it's on youtube but it's not the same to me.

The only other fights he had outside UFC were Duane Ludwig from K-1 and the Gomi and Rodrigo Gracie fights from the Rumble On The Rock DVD set.

It's just the Renzo and Ludwig fights that are tricky to find.

I've been roaring through these old UFC shows and have just watched UFC 17.

For the first time so far, I actually shouted "FOR FUCK SAKE !!!" at a fight ending as Pete Williams just beheaded Mark Coleman with a kick. I was also a bit shocked by the Frank Shamrock KO from the previous show.

I'm hoping for more of the same in the near future !

EDIT : Had to edit as I'm watching the first fight of UFC 18 between Tanner and Gholer, and Gholer's coach is fucking hilarious. His main coaching skill seems to be shouting "PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE !!!" over and over again. I'm laughing like fuck at this guy. Loved his reaction when he got all excited when Gholer hit a big punch.

Edited by Haraga_Version_One

• Paid Members
Penn vs Machida is one I've been meaning to watch for a while.Keep meaning to get some of them Hero's DVDs.

I wanna get the BJ vs Renzo fight from K-1 in Hawaii 2005 on DVD.I think it's on youtube but it's not the same to me.

The only other fights he had outside UFC were Duane Ludwig from K-1 and the Gomi and Rodrigo Gracie fights from the Rumble On The Rock DVD set.

yeh, ive got the Gomi fight here to watch, never seen it in it's entirity. Marc Laimon called it one of the most complete MMA performances he's ever seen.

I never saw either of the Gracie fights.

yeh, ive got the Gomi fight here to watch, never seen it in it's entirity. Marc Laimon called it one of the most complete MMA performances he's ever seen.

I never saw either of the Gracie fights.

I have got a career comp of Penn fights that I picked up several years ago (goes up to Penn/Hughes II), and both the Ludwig and Renzo fights are on it (although the latter looks like a download). I am not really a fan of the comps as they constantly need updating, but I know some MMA traders who are really keen on them.

• Paid Members

the biggest problem with them is the quality. I have a full Fedor fightography, but the older stuff has some awful quality. Its better for newer stuff because the fights are being capped in HD or whatever, but some of the older stuff is bad.