MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Been watching TUF 4:The Comeback on DVD over the last week or so.People shit on this season but I can honestly say it's been much better than I remember it being at the time.

Shonie Carter was awesome throughout the season and the part in the DVD where he's teaching GSP how to walk like a pimp was pretty funny.

Watching TUF 4 again also reminded me why I used to like Matt Serra.I soured on Serra after the first GSP fight because I thought he came off as a bit of a prick after he won the belt and through the rematch and TUF 6 I found him annoying.He's kind of grew on me again since though and I loved the video blogs he did before the fight with Trigg.

Serra's verbal annihilation of Marc Laimon was priceless and was the highlight of the season for me.

The rest of the season had Jeremy Jackson being a fucking idiot and getting kicked off the show,Charles McCarthy being nicknamed Captain Miserable and Rich Franklin's 'take a knee' advice to Serra.

The extra scenes and stuff on the DVD are really good.I was cracking up at Pete Sell getting pissed and everyone getting pissed off at Scott Smith for constantly farting.Din Thomas' reaction to one of Smith's farts was classic "Why did you do that? You saw I just opened up my coffee.....I don't want shit flavoured coffee"

The finale wasn't that good but it did have the classic Smith-Sell fight on it.Serra-Lytle was as disappointing as I'd remembered it being sadly.But some decent stuff still on the finale.

Overall a really fun season.I enjoyed it a lot more than I have TUF 10 and 11 to be honest.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Moderators
The comedy TUF 4 write-ups I did in Total MMA got me an angry email from Jorge Rivera's brother, about eighteen months after the fact.

:laugh: What did you write?

It was a running joke where I referred to him as a miserable motherfucker, or Jorge "Miserable Motherfucker" Rivera.

I stand by it though. He destroyed Shonie's plastic bottle raft, for fuck's sake :angry:

• Paid Members

Haha yeah Shonie spent ages trying to make that raft.I laughed when he just threw all the bottles back in the pool anyway.

I forgot to mention earlier,another thing I liked about the season was the Serra/Carter history involved.The twist of having them as team mates early on and then finally meeting in the semis was good stuff.

Anyone think a Comeback season could work again? The show needs spicing up IMO and if they chose the right guys it could be really good.I think it's pretty cool every now and then having fighters on the show who everyone's already familiar with from the UFC.

• Paid Members
Not counting Season 4, how many TUF contestants have already had UFC fights before going on the show? I was always surprised that Joe Lauzon ended up on Season 5 when he'd already defeated one of the coaches (Jens Pulver).

Yeah I thought that was strange aswell.He knocked out Pulver in his UFC debut and then went straight on TUF.He should have been on the main cards after a big win like that surely.