MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Has anyone seen Robbie Lawler vs Aaron Riley from UFC 37?

I've read it's supposed to be a really good fight but I've also read it's not included on the DVD release for some reason.I've noticed a few of the UFC's from around the 20s and 30s have prelims missing.

UFC 17 was Chuck Liddell's UFC and MMA debut and it's not on the DVD release.The Middleweight Title fight between Frank Shamrock and Jeremy Horn is missing aswell.

yeh, only from UFC 39 onwards have they started including the prelims. I was hoping they'd give the older shows the proper treatment and re-release em all with the full cards (The Zuffa cards at least!) but it seems they aint gonna do it. Sucks.

The Lawler/Riley is about though, ive got a copy of it. It's probably on the On Demand service too.

They should release a DVD of all the unreleased fights that weren't put on the DVD's.I'd buy it.

now here's a little fight i'd never seen before, two of MMA's most well known lightweights battling:

Jens Pulver vs Joe Stephenson

decent little battle you may think prior to watching, then you realise that Joe Stevenson was 16 when this fight happened! How the hell they allowed this to go ahead i'll never know.

Stevenson crumples at the first taste of Pulver power.

Never even knew they fought.Man imagine fighting Jens Pulver at 16.I'm sure in one of Aaron Riley's UFC fights they said he started around that age too,crazy.

• Paid Members

Picked up the 2 Machida vs Shogun DVD releases off FightDVD the other day.Watched UFC 104 last night,few thoughts

Main Card

Light Heavyweight Championship Bout

Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua

Cain Velasquez vs. Ben Rothwell

Gleison Tibau vs. Josh Neer

Joe Stevenson vs. Spencer Fisher

Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Preliminary Card

Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer

Antoni Hardonk vs. Patrick Barry

Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen

Jorge Rivera vs. Rob Kimmons

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Razak Al-Hassan

Stefan Struve vs. Chase Gormley

I'll get the negatives out the way first.....the pre fight videos and Joe Rogan post fight interviews have all been cut out apart from the Machida/Rua and Velasquez/Rothwell fights which is a bit annoying.And the entrances for those 2 fights have been left in but have the usual dubbed in shit instead of the original music.The job they did on the Machida entrance is particularly crappy,they left in Machida's dad chanting about Karate and then it goes into some proper cack generic rap that looks so out of place as The Dragon's theme.

Anyway everything else about the DVD is very enjoyable.

I won't get into the main card too much cause it's fairly recent and was discussed in depth at the time but all 5 fights are very entertaining IMO.The Tibau-Neer fight is the weakest on the main card but not a bad fight by any stretch just nothing to write home about.Velasquez is scarily dominant in dismantling Ben Rothwell and I think the stoppage was fair.The main event is one that divides opinion but it's an interesting fight to watch.A very technical 5 round striking match and I still think Shogun won 4 rounds to 1.

Highlights on the prelims include Chael Sonnen's awesome performance against Okami and Pat Barry and Antoni Hardonk's display of kickboxing.Jorge Rivera turned in a very good performance battering Rob Kimmons to a bloody 3rd round TKO too.

Disc 2 has the Countdown,weigh ins and behind the scenes,

The behind the scenes feature is fucking quality.Seeing what goes into putting on a big UFC show is always fun and the pre and post fight footage here is great stuff.

There's 2 great bits in the behind the scenes that I never really think about when watching MMA.The first is a feature with UFC's events man Burt Watson (who is the black guy with the grey beard you always see at the weigh ins).Him and various fighters on the card talk about the importance of finding the right size gloves.

Then we see Jacob 'Stitch' Duran wrapping both Machida and Shogun's hands on fight night while talking about different ways of wrapping and how important it is in the fight.He shows he has different ways of wrapping to suit strikers and grapplers.These 2 little segments might not sound much but I found them interesting anyway :p

Oh and my favourite bit of the behind the scenes, they show Pat Barry calling his mom after his win over Hardonk.Here's roughly what she said

"Anyone who enters the ring with my child is gonna get his ass messed up.You don't need to kick with those animal mule legs you got from yo momma,it's all in the upper body.You the man.You looked so good in technicolour"

:laugh: Pat Barry's mom is fuckin awesome.

I'll give my thoughts on the Machida vs Shogun 2 DVD when I get round to watching it.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

random MMA viewing tonight...

Gary Turner (3-0-1) vs Julius Francis (0-0) - Cage Rage 23

i was actually at this show, but this was the first time ive seen i've watched it since, my memory is a little hazy of the actual night (it was the headliner and i'd been drinking) so i decided to dust it off. Hmmmmm, it's hard to really see what Cage Rage was going for here. This is basically Randy Couture/James Toney on a miles smaller scale. Francis was a British Heavyweight champion boxer but came in here on the back of something like a 15 fight losing streak being best known for getting mutilated by Mike Tyson a good few years before this. Gary Turner is the most unlikely fighter ever when you hear him speak, but he turned out to be a bit of a crowd pleaser, so Cage Rage set it up as the main event of a show featuring some world class MMA talent... i don't know if Cage Rage thought this was going to draw huge numbers or something? MMA vs Boxer will sell, surely?

Francis came in in poor shape too, the guy is 43 but he's got a hefty belly on him, he claims to be a former European Kickboxing Champion so perhaps we were in for a bit of a treat. The fight itself is ridiculous, Turner scores a takedown at the second attempt and it's like watching UFC 1 from there on out, Turner lands some decent ground and pound and moves to mount in the easiest fashion i think ive ever seen in a professional fight. Francis basically hangs on for his life and does get a generous standup. The load appears to be blown though and Turner instead of trying go into a slugfest (which was fairly sensible), just picks Francis apart with leg kicks, drops him at one point with a knee to head and Francis barely gets out of the round. Round 2 is similar, leg kicks lead to a clinch, Turner lands one to the boiler and Francis drops and taps in very anti-climatic fashion.

0.jpg

It's an odd one, like i said i don't know if Cage Rage were hoping to be able to promote big fights out of an over-the-hill boxer or they actually thought Francis could bring in a boxing crowd? Whatever it was a poor experiment which perhaps could be a pre-cursor for the forthcoming Couture/Toney fight...only there, the anti-climat nature of the fight will be all the more sweeter :)

Julius Francis for the record never fought again in MMA or Boxing...which was as wise a move as he could have made. Gary Turner fought twice more after this losing both fights, there was talk of him moving to 185 and competing there (i know he did lose the weight), but as of now it hasn't happened.

• Paid Members

The Smiler posts on Cage Warriors from time to time.Sure I read on there not too long ago that he's had a few injury issues to sort out recently and was hoping to fight again soonish.Not sure exactly what the deal is but he was at least intending to carry on fighting as of a few months back.Think he did mention fighting at a lighter weight too but not 100% sure on that.

I like Gary Turner,seems a sound bloke from everything I've seen of him.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Moderators
The Smiler posts on Cage Warriors from time to time.Sure I read on there not too long ago that he's had a few injury issues to sort out recently and was hoping to fight again soonish.Not sure exactly what the deal is but he was at least intending to carry on fighting as of a few months back.Think he did mention fighting at a lighter weight too but not 100% sure on that.

I like Gary Turner,seems a sound bloke from everything I've seen of him.

Yeah, I've also read his posts there and he comes off as a really pleasant, top top bloke. I could swear he said he bought Mostapha Al-Turk's wife a box of chocolates when they fought as well.

• Paid Members
I've sort of stalled on my UFC watching at UFC 68. With Rampage coming in, I know that the Rampage/Forrest fight can't be far off, and I've heard that fight was pretty spectacular. Any other fights coming in the next few that I should keep an eye out for ?

You've got a shitload of cracking lightweight fights coming up.

Roger Huerta vs Leonard Garcia (UFC 69)

Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida (UFC 72)

Joe Stevenson vs Kurt Pellegrino (UFC 74)

Matt Wiman vs Michihiro Omigawa and Tyson Griffin vs Thiago Tavares (UFC 76)

Matt Grice vs Jason Black (UFC 77)

And there's Huerta vs Guida from the TUF 6 finale if you're watching them aswell.

Other fights to look out for with the next few shows I'd say Gonzaga vs Cro Cop (UFC 70),Parisyan vs Burkman (UFC 71),Big Nog vs Herring (UFC 73) and Couture vs Gonzaga (UFC 74).UFC 74 also has the first GSP-Koscheck fight which might be worth revisiting with the rematch coming up.

• Paid Members

Okay watched the UFC 113:Machida vs Shogun 2 official DVD tonight.

Main Card

Light Heavyweight Championship Bout

Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua

Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley

Sam Stout vs. Jeremy Stephens

Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione

Patrick C

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Jason MacDonald vs John Salter

Short fight with Salter having some early success with the greco clinch.Salter takes him down and MacDonald's leg buckles underneath him in resulting in that nasty leg injury.Salter behaves like a bit of a dick and starts jumping around in joy.The replays are hard to watch,you can even hear Joe Rogan wincing on commentary.

4595601328_710be205ae_o.gif

yeh, its a shocking injury.

I know it was the heat of the moment too, but there was no excuse for Salter getting up and celebrating like he'd just won the world title. Hopefully he gets a slap at 118.

I've sort of stalled on my UFC watching at UFC 68. With Rampage coming in, I know that the Rampage/Forrest fight can't be far off, and I've heard that fight was pretty spectacular. Any other fights coming in the next few that I should keep an eye out for ?

You've got a shitload of cracking lightweight fights coming up.

Roger Huerta vs Leonard Garcia (UFC 69)

Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida (UFC 72)

Joe Stevenson vs Kurt Pellegrino (UFC 74)

Matt Wiman vs Michihiro Omigawa and Tyson Griffin vs Thiago Tavares (UFC 76)

Matt Grice vs Jason Black (UFC 77)

And there's Huerta vs Guida from the TUF 6 finale if you're watching them aswell.

Other fights to look out for with the next few shows I'd say Gonzaga vs Cro Cop (UFC 70),Parisyan vs Burkman (UFC 71),Big Nog vs Herring (UFC 73) and Couture vs Gonzaga (UFC 74).UFC 74 also has the first GSP-Koscheck fight which might be worth revisiting with the rematch coming up.

Wand pretty much covered everything that is must see in terms of fight quality, and the best of the bunch in my eyes are Huerta/Garcia, Griffin/Guida and Parisyan/Burkman. Other bits to keep your eye out for is the debut of Houston Alexander, who at one point seemed a victory away from being a major player, Josh Koscheck's awesome post fight interview after his fight against Diego Sanchez and Michael Bisping's ridiculous home town decision against Matt Hamill.

You have UFC 70 upcoming, but I personally didn't think much of that show, as you have two terrible fights (Kongo/Silva and Arlovski/Werdum), along with one fight which the crowd never enjoyed, but I did (Machida/Heath). Other good fights two keep your eye out for are Chris Leben vs Kalib Starnes (UFC 71), Ed Herman vs Scott Smith (UFC 72) and Paul Taylor vs Marcus Davis (UFC 75).

• Paid Members

Totally forgot Leben-Starnes.That was a really good fight.Must've subconsciously blocked out anything involving Kalib Starnes after the Nate Quarry debacle.I still don't get what he was thinking there,he had a few good fights before that then decided to go shit in his home country.I know he said he was injured but fuck me...I'd rather get KO'd than put in a performance so pathetic I turn my whole country against me.

• Paid Members

Watched UFC 31 last night.It may have been the best card top to bottom the UFC had put on at that point.

Main event was the first Randy Couture vs Pedro Rizzo fight.What a fucking fight,I'd seen the Unleashed version a few years back and some of the rounds were reduced to highlights on there so this was the first time I saw it in full.A total 5 round war that could have gone either way,hence the rematch being made.Rizzo fucked him up pretty good with leg kicks but Randy hung in there and battled through to get the nod from the judges.Great back and forth fight.

Other highlights on UFC 31

Pat Miletich vs Carlos Newton

An enjoyable Pat Miletich fight is a pretty rare thing for me but this was a pretty good fight.In round 2 Newton got him in a headlock type move and tapped him out to become the 2nd UFC Welterweight champion.

Chuck Liddell vs Kevin Randleman

Randleman was supposed to win this one,you could tell from the way they were hyping him up.Chuck wasn't having that and knocked him on his arse with a big looping left hook little over a minute into the first round.Randleman argued the stoppage and I dunno maybe it was a little bit early but Big John jumped in and Randleman did look pretty wobbly going down.This was probably the fight that really put Chuck on the map and started his rise to the top.

Shonie Carter vs Matt Serra

This was a classic,everyone's seen the finish,probably one of the most replayed KO's in UFC history.A lot of people forget that the rest of the fight was excellent too.Serra was controlling the fight tying Carter up in knots on the ground and was heading for a comfortable but exciting decision win when suddenly he got whacked with a spinning back fist that put him out with seconds to go in the fight.Similar situation to Silva-Sonnen in a way I guess only ending with a strike instead of a submission.Serra got hit with another backfist earlier in the fight and recovered but there was no getting up from this one.......

shone_medium.gif

Ouch :crazy: Just checked and Serra was 9 fucking seconds away from a decision win.Talk about pulling victory from the jaws of defeat.

Semmy Schilt vs Pete Williams

Schilt looked really impressive in this fight using his striking and height advantage to bully Pete Williams.Some of the front kicks he gets Williams in the ribs and chest with look nasty.Williams tries but he can't take any more and by the 2nd round he's done.

Wanna get back to watching some Pride soon,I've kind of abandoned Pride lately and I've had the Bushido 10-13 boxset sitting there for months waiting to be watched.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Semmy Schilt vs Pete Williams

Schilt looked really impressive in this fight using his striking and height advantage to bully Pete Williams.Some of the front kicks he gets Williams in the ribs and chest with look nasty.Williams tries but he can't take any more and by the 2nd round he's done.

Wanna get back to watching some Pride soon,I've kind of abandoned Pride lately and I've had the Bushido 10-13 boxset sitting there for months waiting to be watched.

there was talk of Schilt coming back to the UFC a year ago, i'd love to see it. The guy has improved his standup to the point where he's won the K-1 GP a few times, i guess he's getting paid a ton by K-1, but i'd love to see it.

Watched UFC 31 last night.It may have been the best card top to bottom the UFC had put on at that point.

Main event was the first Randy Couture vs Pedro Rizzo fight.What a fucking fight,I'd seen the Unleashed version a few years back and some of the rounds were reduced to highlights on there so this was the first time I saw it in full.A total 5 round war that could have gone either way,hence the rematch being made.Rizzo fucked him up pretty good with leg kicks but Randy hung in there and battled through to get the nod from the judges.Great back and forth fight.

Still one my favourite UFC fights for those reasons. Wasn't it a controversal decision win for Couture at the time? I had it 3 rounds to 2 for Couture last I watched it.

I really enjoyed the last Miletich fights in the UFC. The first couple of fights bored me from him, but after that I thought he put in some belting performances.

Anyways, watched UFC 71.

Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes

Really enjoyed this fight. Was wondering what Leben was doing in the third when he had Starnes clearly hurt with a body kick and then seemed to hesistate to follow up on it even though Starnes was completely fucked. It ended up costing him in the end with two judges scoring it at 29-28. The first two rounds were a bit of a war, and Starnes did well to get through the punishment that Leben was dishing out. Especially in the second round when Leben was getting some big shots in and Starnes seemed tired. Cracking fight in any case.

Keith Jardine vs. Houston Alexander

That was a hell of a KO from Alexander. Jardine had him rocked too and Alexander was all "fuck this !" and decided to go out and completely fuck him up ! Good viewing !

Ivan Salaverry vs. Terry Martin

Impressive stuff from Martin. I was impressed with Salaverry early, but Martin just kept on going at him. Salaverry would kick and Martin would just keep on walking at him. I actually liked Salaverry stopping the initial takedown attempt but when the second one dropped him right on his head, you knew the referee would be looking to stop and Salaverry had no complaints. More fun viewing here.

Karo Parisyan vs. Josh Burkman

What a great fight this turned out to be ! Burkman took an awful lot of punishment. The first two rounds seemed to follow the same pattern with Burkman dominating early and even rocking Karo a couple of times, but then Karo would go and pick apart Burkman. The third round was much closer as for some reason, Burkman wasn't as tired and he managed to stick with Karo untill the end as a result. That was a superb back and forth war though and good shout from whoever recommended it.

Din Thomas vs. Jeremy Stephens

Slightly controversial ending to the fight as Stephens said he didn't tap, but hey, Thomas had that arm deep so didn't make much of a difference if you ask me. Stephens didn't learn his lesson from the first round, knowing what Thomas can do from the ground, and just basically punched his way to being tapped out. I liked the first round where Thomas basically schooled him for a while.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Chuck Liddell

I love fights which have the crowd going mental right from the off, giving it that real big fight feel. Well that didn't take long did it. :laugh: Rampage caught Liddell coming in before it as well, and then to win landed the big combo. Not much you can say about a fight like that !

Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero

The fight was going kind of boring untill Gouveia landed that first big leg kick and then that was meant major trouble as Marrero wasn't in the fight from that point and all that Wilson had to do to get any sort of control was kick the leg.

Loved that show actually. There were two three rounders which I really really enjoyed and there was some really good finishes.