MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

you've got me there Jim šŸ˜„

Going from an in-ring standpoint though, Barao is up there. He went from the supposed p4p king to losing 8 of his next 10 fights, and looking a shell of his former self in doing so, and it happened very close to hisĀ his physical prime (ages 28-33).

I do get that any p4p talk with Barao was sometimes hyped by the UFC to give the guy a boost in a newish division but during his run he was on anyones list.

• Paid Members

Exactly; whilst Jim makes a very good point, I was strictly talking about his fighting performances. From what I understand, Penn's decline was relatively visible and gradual, but Barao just crashed. Ten years undefeated, since before YouTube was founded (I always remember wand posting that titbit), seemingly had the best fight IQ in the business, was scarily able to adapt to whatever game his opponent threw at him, and Dillashaw smashed all that out of him twice.

The only other fighter I can think of from an in-ring perspective who had anywhere near a similar crash that didn't involve USADA is Anthony Pettis after RDA apparently took his soul.Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Pettis is a good shout. He's still at good and has had some great moments since but he's nowhere near fulfilled the potential he had.

And the crazy thing is that he still won the 155 belt. Imagine being champ, seemingly looking like a fight genius, and people can still justifiably say he never fulfilled his potential! It's staggering. In that regard Pettis is more like Penn, I guess. Pennis.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...