MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 4/12/2020 at 9:58 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Remember this fucker;

They made this fight look a lot better than it actually was there. That suplex about a minute in was amazing though. 

For a minute Kimbo looked like abit of a monster there. I'll never forget seeing it though, it was massively disappointing at the time, Houston seemed like the perfect opponent for Kimbo and he shat it on the night.

Kimbo's stint on TUF 10 was very memorable, but the two fights that followed? Forgettable. 

What wasn't unremarkable was the viewing figures that Kimbo vs Houston drew. Over 5 million people watched that shitfest - one of the biggest numbers the UFC has ever drawn on cable. In that regard, the fight was a huge success....................................but it was still a shitfest. 

• Paid Members

That season did wonder for peoples perception of Kimbo. I think alot of people including the fighters on the show expected to hate him but he came off as the nicest guy. Do wonder how his career would have panned out if that hadnt happened.

I need to rewatch that season.

Jack Slack is doing a video guide to Sakuraba. 

Here is part 1, which covers Sakuraba's use of the kimura. I enjoyed the bit about how Sakuraba used the ring ropes to his advantage. Slack has written about Sakuraba at length before - but I don't think he's ever covered that facet of his game until now.

This is one of my favourite Sakuraba entrances, just because of how daft it is at the start. 

Sakuraba and Billy Robinson have to be MMA's best ever odd couple. Both utterly bonkers, but completely different types of bonkers. Can you imagine Robinson's face watching some of Sakuraba's entrances? 😄

Edited by jimufctna24

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, jimufctna24 said:

The Fight Site's "Top 20 MMArtists Of All Time"

https://www.thefight-site.com/home/tag/Top+20+MMArtists+of+all+time

I would highly recommend the article that accompanies Jones' entry on the list. The author makes some very interesting points. 

Wow, that might be one of the worst all time lists I've ever seen. Max Holloway as the 4th best MMA fighter of all time? Connor below 2 guys he's easily beat and Kabib about 10 places below Connor in the list. Even worse, Fedor at number 10 and Anderson at 12 when they would easily have destroyed every guy ranked above them in their day with the exception of Jones, obviously different weight classes involved, but still, it's hard to take some of these smaller guys seriously as the best ever when half the guys below them on the list would K.O. them with the first decent strike that lands.

That said, swap Aldo and Sakuraba's positions on the list and I'd be absolutely fine with it, regardless of how the rest are ranked, always nice to see Saku get recognition as one of the all time best rather than just a pioneering novelty. He really was in a different league and would probably have had a very long title reign and similar record to Aldo and GSP if he had had the opportunity to fight safely in one weight class his whole career. The mad fucker would never have settled for that though which instantly puts him and his ilk (BJ, Connor, Wanderlei, etc...) above guys like Aldo and GSP for me.

35 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Jon Jones at #7 tells you everything you need to know about that list. Trash.

I didn't fully understand the list when I first saw it. 

However, after reading the criteria they used, it does make a bit of sense. They rated fighter in accordance to strength of competition and the quality of wins. Most of the contributors, it would seem, don't particularly rate MMA's light-heavyweight division highly in terms of talent. One of the contributors, Kyle McLachlan, recently made the point that you can't excuse the lack of quality at light-heavyweight on size. He argued that boxing's cruiserweight division, which is more or less boxing's equivalent to MMA's light-heavyweight class, is far superior in terms of talent.

By contrast, some of the contributors really rate the featherweight division and the quality of opponents that Aldo beat. Therefore, in accordance with their criteria for rating fighters, it stands to reason that Aldo's wins over Chad Mendes will be valued more than say Jones's wins over Cormier, and such comparisons will heavily inform the order of their list. I've used the same logic myself in the past when rating fighters For example, I don't rate Anderson Silva as highly as most do on these sort of lists. I see him more as a pioneer than one of the outright best fighters to have ever lived. He changed the game with his counter striking, but was also a very flawed fighter who reigned over a relatively weak division. 

It's all subjective really. I personally rate GSP as the GOAT. The rest I would struggle to put into order. I would undoubtedly rank Horiguchi above Jones, Anderson and McGregor though 😉

• Paid Members

I agree with Jim's reasoning there. It's why I personally rate GSP as the GOAT. Those lower-weight divisions are, as we've often said, shark tanks. It's also why, if he continues undefeated, Nurmagomedov would have to be considered that when he retires. It's also why I was so sorry to see Barao fall off that cliff with a Dillashaw-shaped edge - he could've been on course for that spot, same with Aldo. 

That said, I can also see an argument for Jones as well - he's displayed skills and talent that, were he in the lighter divisions, would still probably have got him quite a way.