UKFF Dolt of the Year 2009

tiger_rick

Who's the forum idiot of 2009?  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Kenny mentioned early on in the religion thread that he (and other Catholics) have to cop it a lot because of their affiliation.

I originally felt that it was a self-indulgent thing for him to write and unreflective of reality (Act of Settlement excepted), but the more things I see thrown his way purely on the basis of religion ("Captain Catholicism" and so on), the more I find myself seeing what he means. I don't imagine people would be quite so quick to taunt him like this if he belonged to some other group, save scientologists. I can't picture him being addressed as "Master Muzzy" or seeing as many comments about terrorism aimed at him as he gets about child-rape.

It's pretty sad that so many people are comfortable throwing that mud around everywhere.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
I don't imagine people would be quite so quick to taunt him like this if he belonged to some other group, save scientologists. I can't picture him being addressed as "Master Muzzy" or seeing as many comments about terrorism aimed at him as he gets about child-rape.

But it's fine to do it to Scientology?

Scientology is as valid as Catholicism, and I'm sure I've seen Kenny having a rant about how Scientology is bullshit. So if he can dish, he can take it too.

• Paid Members

Doing so to superhuman levels isn't. They're supposed to aim for those ideals, but it's understood that all will fall short because humans aren't perfect. It's not for nothing that the Catholic mass begins without a seemingly hypnotised rendition along the lines of "Since I last came to mass, I have sinned in my body and in my mind."

And I don't see what that has to do with baiting him based on his religion. He said a lot of things in the context of that thread that were less than desirable from where I sit (which were, I suppose, the equivalent of toeing the party line), but the fact that people will throw jibes his way purely on the basis of his Catholicism outside of that thread is something I find distasteful, particularly as he's the only person on the receiving end. (Again, I'd make an exception

for Dimebar Duane's scientology fetish on the basis that we all know the artificial origins of that 'faith', but I don't see that it's the same with the established religions, regardless of whether I happen to see them all as superstitious nonsense.)

• Paid Members
But it's fine to do it to Scientology?

I don't find it to be the same thing just because we know for sure about Scientology's origins. It doesn't have the generations of adherents that the established religions have.

I'm not religious in the slightest, but I can see how someone born into a Catholic family in a Christian country, where the great majority of the country has genuinely believed in that particular religion for all of that country's recorded history can also see some form of reality in it.

I don't, on the other hand, see that sort of pedigree with Scientology. By that choice that they make they may as well claim that the earth is flat.

That's why I think that someone like Duane can be dismissed on sight when opining outside of a religion thread, since he's shown for sure that his judgement is inept. I'd say the same of someone who claims to be a Jedi. But when one is born into an established religion, I don't think it's fair at all to throw nothing but the insult "You belong to X" at them all the time. In the context of a religion thread, that would be fine; I think that they should be pilloried.

You don't see a difference? I'm probably not being as eloquent as I ought to be, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

That's true, except for the fact that Kenny is obviously an intelligent guy who's given the subject a lot of thought and has decided after all that to STILL stick dogmatically to the Catholic faith in all its myriad eccentricities. I honestly think if he hadn't spent so many words eloquently defending the indefensible like homophobia and sexism (though he wouldn't desbribe them like that) then he'd not get shit for it.

EDIT: mongs though, eh? Mnnerrrr, benny.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
Someone in the suggestions said there should be a "Cunt of the Year" and I agree. There's guys in this poll who should not be there.

Soilent_Green's brilliant suggestion got ignored this year unfortunately.

It wasn't ignored, it just wasn't agreed with. For the record though, I thought it was a good idea.

• Paid Members
Someone in the suggestions said there should be a "Cunt of the Year" and I agree. There's guys in this poll who should not be there.

Soilent_Green's brilliant suggestion got ignored this year unfortunately.

It wasn't ignored, it just wasn't agreed with. For the record though, I thought it was a good idea.

Believe it or not, so did I. But only in principle. Actually having it could've opened up a gallon-barrel of worms.

• Moderators

Why wouldn't we believe that?

And who gives a shit about worms?! Cans of worms were made to be opened. Much like cans of anything else. I think we should have had it, also..

Look how much fun breakdown season is so far, and we've got rid of Fitch. This award could have only been good news.

• Paid Members
Why wouldn't we believe that?

Just that, after happenings on here this year, maybe no-one would believe I might agree with Soilent_Green on something. A minor point.

And who gives a shit about worms?! Cans of worms were made to be opened. Much like cans of anything else. I think we should have had it, also..

Look how much fun breakdown season is so far, and we've got rid of Fitch. This award could have only been good news.

I suppose. It just seems that we're more than capable of loading this place with the fussin' and a-feudin' without needing anything extra.

• Paid Members
I cant see why we still cant do the cunt of the year award. The Oscars happen in March. It doesnt have to be at the end of the year.

Well it needs to be done along side the other awards really, which we do at the end of the year since they represent that year. I believe the Oscars are done in March to allow time to review the films and all the other business that needs deciding on.