DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Great bit of anime

Are you (or anyone else on here for that matter) an anime connoisseur then KingOfMetal? I fancy watching a couple of fantasy anime films soon but really wouldn't know what to look for. I think the last time I tried to seek out any material on youtube I was less than successful.

Can you give me any easy to find recommendations?

Join AnimeTorrents. Think they're doing open sign-ups at the moment. If not, I'll save up some bonus points and send you an invite.

One of my favourites is "Hajime No Ippo" - boxing anime. Young lad gets bullied, rescued from bullies by pro boxer, decides to train as one, becomes pro, learns, evolves, falls in love, has rivalries, fights for championships, it's a load of fun. Quite funny, too.

Also, "Air", which was once pimped on here by the long-absent Vito, is a beautiful, beautiful piece. Sumptuously drawn, and an incredibly evocative storyline (even if it can be a bit of a headfuck in places).

Are you (or anyone else on here for that matter) an anime connoisseur then KingOfMetal? I fancy watching a couple of fantasy anime films soon but really wouldn't know what to look for. I think the last time I tried to seek out any material on youtube I was less than successful.

Urotsukidoji is the best anime. I like Shusaku as well though.

Urotsukidoji is the best anime. I like Shusaku as well though.

That's the one with demons who are a bit rapey is it not?

• Paid Members
I fancy watching a couple of fantasy anime films soon but really wouldn't know what to look for.

It's certainly not fantasy but I think you'd like it, my favourite is called Violence Jack

It's old (1988 I think). It's set in an 80s style post apocalyptic wasteland (which is pretty much my favourite setting ever) with 80s mutant punk baddies (which I've always loved too) it's about a super tough mysterious giant called Violence Jack who different tribes and gangs want to use as hired muscle.

It's really atmospheric and so gratuitously violent, it's an 18 certificate and there's loads of nudity and blood. As it's pretty old the animation is really good but not quite perfect which makes it way better too.

Urotsukidoji is indeed good too

I asked you before I think but have you seen the korean movie the story of Ricky (AKA Ricki Oh)? It's fucking right up your street mate, it's one of my favourites.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

Tried a lot of anime over the years, but it begins and ends with Akira for me. Some of the Studio Ghibli stuff is good too, but things like Urotsukidoji are mainly fun if you're an over-hormonal adolescent. It's not great cinema.

Tried a lot of anime over the years, but it begins and ends with Akira for me. Some of the Studio Ghibli stuff is good too, but things like Urotsukidoji are mainly fun if you're an over-hormonal adolescent. It's not great cinema.

Off the top of my head

TV Series

Basilisk

• Paid Members

banged on Minority Report last night, fucking great sci-fi movie, i hasn't seen it for years and all i really remembered about it was the 'eyes' part but it's a fantastic film. I watched the extra's on the special edition dvd too and it just blows my mind the amount of work that goes into creating a movie like that...one little throwaway shot just looks like an absolute nightmare to make, fascinating stuff.

• Paid Members

Agree with you completely Loki.

I'm pretty lucky/ignorant in that i lack the attention span to pay any great detail to things, so for the most part i can let things like that slide. You're spot on though in that it went from loading the bases to hitting homers in the space of 30 seconds once it hit the final third

As questionable as the ending was, the last film that suckered me in left me to deal with the idea of extra terrestrial noncing, so with that in mind, i can more than deal with how it all wrapped up.