DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Ha Ha i was a member of the Dragonsden forum also :)

and no my Expect no Mercy is the full thrown of the the window with a landing version :), and i agree it took me forever to find a copy of One Tough Bastard i managed to Find a Czech copy on ebay like a few months ago

Bloodfist.jpg

One of the wierdest things about the Bloodfist series is that, although they have the same name and the same lead actor, after the first couple he plays a different character in each film. Huh?

• Paid Members

Pretty In Pink. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I can't believe she went back to Blaine! Fucking hell, Ringwald, he was a right twat!

Not a patch on The Breakfast Club, though. It made my fancy for Annie Potts come back full-blown, though. YeeHaa.

The best thing about that, IIRC, is the fashion for wearing one's jacket over the shoulders without arms in sleeves. It looked extremely cool.You're right that the ending is all wrong though, or is that just our modern perception?

• Paid Members

Possibly. I didn't expect it, I have to say, but it was still all wrong.Also, I thought Ringwald's homemade clobber was far better than anything anyone else was wearing. It wasn't as funny as I was expecting and Jon Cryer was really annoying. James Spader was great, though, I loved his mumbling arrogance, he was probably the best thing in it alongside Harry Dean Stanton.

As a guy who's watched Pretty in Pink more than any rational person would, I've come to like the ending. It's a proper swerve that does make you think at first that it's fucked up but it's probably what would realistically happen. It's not as if Duckie gets completely shafted, either. You can only be the nerdy best friend in life for so long. James Spader is fantastic in that film. I can think of few other actors as adept at playing decadent, slimy scumbags. I like to think his character in Wall Street is Steff in later life.

Not as good as the Breakfast Club? That film had some brilliant bits and others that are just awful - the dancing, Judd Nelson's "paint in the garage" speech etc. Pretty in Pink is more well-rounded but not as quotable or as much fun, perhaps because Hughes was only co-director and had some of his excesses reigned in.

Edited by Wendell Cooley

• Paid Members

Nah, The Breakfast Club completely enthralled me, it was brilliant. It's more flawed than Pretty In Pink but it's also funnier, the characters are better, it's got a better ending, and I never wanted it to end. Pretty In Pink does have a better soundtrack and Annie Potts, though.

• Paid Members

No, I loved that bit because she only does it to get some of Emilio's end. You know as soon as she's had some that she'll be back to sticking Cheerios up her nose or something. She's a canny one, Sheedy.

It is overwrought but I don't mind that as long as it's entertaining.

• Paid Members

Just seen Seven Psychopaths. Need to dwell on it some more, but in the immediate afterglow, I'm thinking...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's pretty great. Some nice deconstruction of the ideas of narrative, some fun self-awareness and parody, and lots of great lines. Superb turn from Tom Waits too.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();