DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Due to the weather being shit and spoiling our plans we had a little movie marathon yesterday.

SAW VI, Street Kings, Trainspotting & From Dusk Till Dawn. The last 2 I've seen plenty of times but she has never seen them, plus it was nice to watch them in HD. All enjoyable in thee own right.

SAW VI was better than I expected it to be. I'd gotten quite bored of the series to be honest but saw that a decent download was available so thought why not. Plenty of gore and conundrums as you would expect but it just seemed to flow better than the last couple of releases. I even managed to fit the peices together.

Street Kings would have been better if Keanu Reeves hadn't been in it. I've got a plank of wood available that could have played the part much better. In fact if I put some tinsel on it it would have twice as much charisma too. Other than that it was a decent flick, Forrest Whitaker being his usual great self (albeit a little too Denzal from Training Day imo).

Was the SAW VI download a camera in the cinema job, Steve?

No R5 Retail. The sound wasn't great to be honest, a little bit tinny as you can get sometimes with R5's. It was tolerable though. The picture on the otherhand was perfect.

Funnily enough I've downloaded Harry Brown which is also R5 Retail and both picture and sound are perfect.

The Yakuza

A total rare gem from 1975 that came up on TV. Ageing PI Robert Mitchum is hired by an old friend to rescue his daughter who's been kidnapped in Japan, where Mitchum lived and worked after the war. A fabulous film-noir plot full of twists and turns but enhanced by the clash of cultures in post-war, pre-modern Japan.

Mitchum isn't talked about as much today as some of his contemporaries like James Stewart, but really he was an incredible actor. There's a scene in this film where he meets the love of his life after a 25 year absence, which is just an incredibly emotional moment told without music or dialogue, just pure acting chops from both parties.

Mitchum once said of his own acting "I have two kinds of acting. One on a horse and one off a horse. That's it." This was the best off-a-horse acting you're likely to see.

An absolutely top film.

Me and the mrs finally watched Tenacious D In The Pick of Destiny that I taped a few months back and flipping loved it! :D

I'm sure this movie must be a popular one on this board with the rock n wrestling thing. It was bloody hilarious. :):thumbsup:

I watched this quite reciently myself. Had the album for ages and even seen the previous double dvd set with the live stage show.

But I was disappointed in the film.

Its another stoner film. I hate stoner films. I dont do weed or other recreational drugs so to me most of the stuff was pointless.

I really wanted to watch the film with my daughter whos a big jack black fan but thank the maker the misses told me not to let her watch it! Theres a huge difference between the PG School of Rock and this 15 outing!

Theres some classic set ups (especially the video game to real life) and some great chemistry between jack and kyle but it just seems to be missing that extra something to make everything gel together and become awsome.

A good outing none the less, just not great!

A Cock and Bull Story

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon star in a film about the making of a film of the book of "The Life And Opinions Of Tristram Shandy" (with a bit of the actual film-within-a-film in there too). Captures the spirit of the book better than a straight adaptation ever could, I think. Lots of great performances in it too, and the two leads were great. All in all, I say yes to this film.

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of decent flicks & one stinker this last weekend. First off was 'Gamer' with Gerard Butler, standard action fare from the people that bought you Crank 1 & 2. The camera work was very much like Crank but unfortunately the knowing sense of ridiculousness was missing. If you liked 'Death Race' with Jason Statham this might be for you? If like me, you thought it was shite then avoid.

'Harry Brown' with Michael Caine was a big improvement. Caine delivers a great performance in a pretty predictable genre flick. The first half is a basic, kitchen sink drama but once the 2nd act kicks in the film picks up pace & is enjoyable. Without Michael Caine this would've been a straight to DVD release.

The final flick was 'Whatever Works', the new Woody Allen romcom starring Larry David. Woody + Larry = Jewtastic fun. Allen apparently wrote the script 30 years ago & it shows, in a good way. It's similar to the likes of Annie Hall & Manhattan & Larry David (playing the Woody character) is fantastic. If you're not a fan of Allen's work then this isn't going to convert you but if like me, you're a fan of Jewish humour (or just want to see Larry David verbally abusing small children) then this has got some cracking one liners.

Me and the mrs finally watched Tenacious D In The Pick of Destiny that I taped a few months back and flipping loved it! :D

I'm sure this movie must be a popular one on this board with the rock n wrestling thing. It was bloody hilarious. :):thumbsup:

I watched this quite reciently myself. Had the album for ages and even seen the previous double dvd set with the live stage show.

But I was disappointed in the film.

Its another stoner film. I hate stoner films. I dont do weed or other recreational drugs so to me most of the stuff was pointless.

I really wanted to watch the film with my daughter whos a big jack black fan but thank the maker the misses told me not to let her watch it! Theres a huge difference between the PG School of Rock and this 15 outing!

Theres some classic set ups (especially the video game to real life) and some great chemistry between jack and kyle but it just seems to be missing that extra something to make everything gel together and become awsome.

A good outing none the less, just not great!

I enjoyed it so much as I'm a reformed stoner :p

Likewise my son is a big fan of Jack Black and would've like to see it.

Edited by Dynamite Duane

Due to my mate misreading when Planet 51 opened, we both ended up seeing New Moon. (Unlimited Card holders, it means we go see shit for no reason). Euch, wha ta pile of wank. I've not seen the first one but...nothing happened, and the exciting cool bits were glossed over and made to seem bad, even though we all know SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

werewolves are better than vampires

. This annoyed me but it was just generally crap, with too much focus on trying to be poetic and deep with a cast of shit actors where if they'd done more cool matrix style fighting etc it would of bene a mcuh better film.

`Paranormal Activity`

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I`m using spoilers here in case someone actually thinks its all real!

Theres 3 ending to this movie. The Cinema ending is the one shes a demon and throws her boyfriend. I downloaded the `police` ending

thankfully they changed the ending for this film as the `police` ending seems very anti-climatic.

But apparently the original `throat slit` ending is quite disturbing. anyone got any links to that ending?

Law Abiding Citizen

Really disappointed by this. The premise was good, but the script and acting were really poor and parts of it were predictable. It wasn't a terrible film by any means, but I'm glad downloaded an R5 version as opposed to spending money on it.

`Paranormal Activity`

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I`m using spoilers here in case someone actually thinks its all real!

Theres 3 ending to this movie. The Cinema ending is the one shes a demon and throws her boyfriend. I downloaded the `police` ending

thankfully they changed the ending for this film as the `police` ending seems very anti-climatic.

But apparently the original `throat slit` ending is quite disturbing. anyone got any links to that ending?

Apparently that ending hasn't been shown anywhere.

An extra on the DVD release is probably the only hope atm.