DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Most musicals are fucking shit, but the ones that are good are amazing - West Side Story being the prime example. Also, Annie is a Xmas fave, and Bugsy Malone. How can anyone dislike Bugsy Malone?

• Paid Members
Les Miserables is nothing like what it used to be, same with Blood Brothers, Lion King, Grease and Phantom of the Opera, and there are loads of new, awful shows like Hairspray, Dirty Dancing, Sister Act, Legally Blonde, Priscilla and Mamma Mia.

Have you seen the original and current runs of all these shows? And have you seen all the newer shows? And if not, how can you make these judgements with such certainty? Genuine question.

• Paid Members

Regarding the West End, Carbomb and Rockwell have a point. I work in Victoria and Wicked isn't very good. Billy Elliott isn't great either. We Will Rock You is a terrible concept that was badly executed and there are many other substandard shows out there as well. The point about straight plays is spot on. I saw Dr Marigold and Mr Chops last week and really enjoyed it - Simon Callow was great.

As far as musical films go (and films are the thread topic) I still maintain that My Fair Lady, West Side Story and others are actually cool and not 'for lames'.

• Paid Members
Les Miserables is nothing like what it used to be, same with Blood Brothers, Lion King, Grease and Phantom of the Opera, and there are loads of new, awful shows like Hairspray, Dirty Dancing, Sister Act, Legally Blonde, Priscilla and Mamma Mia.

Have you seen the original and current runs of all these shows? And have you seen all the newer shows? And if not, how can you make these judgements with such certainty? Genuine question.

I've seen the original Blood Brothers and their recent one, same with Les Mis, and have seen the original POTO. The ones I haven't seen, I've pretty much heard from people I trust - a lot of the people I work with are actors who've worked in the West End for years, either on stage or Front of House, and their judgments are pretty sound.

When it comes to the newer ones, I just check footage on Youtube - in comparison to their Broadway counterparts, they're almost invariably inferior.

• Paid Members
RE: Home Alone - I watched that the other day for the first time in years, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm very dissapointed in you Carbomb. Next you'll be telling me you don't like Jingle All The Way.

Well...

Singing In The Rain is brilliant.

I agree! Though I've never watched it stoned...

...I recently had it sent through my LoveFilm subscription. My GF has informed me that I will be watching it when she's not in.

• Paid Members
The best musical is South Park The Movie. Fuck anyone who says otherwise.

Although LaGoosh and I do not exactly get on, I partially agree with him.

Although it's second fiddle to Rocky Horror, obviously.