The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yet Vince continues to get chances. No coherency at all to test match selection, same as ever.

He hasn't made the starting 11 to be fair. I also get the point that Moeen gives you another bowling option over Pope and apparently they need that because Stokes is (yet again) injured.

• Moderators

He still can depending on the wicket tomorrow. If we want to get yet another man chucking a bat indiscriminately at a ball I'd rather have Roy than Vince. Or Mark Stoneman opening rather than Jennings. He has the same average and wasnt scared to get his 17 in 100 balls. 

Please get Hameed back to form

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

He still can depending on the wicket tomorrow. If we want to get yet another man chucking a bat indiscriminately at a ball I'd rather have Roy than Vince. Or Mark Stoneman opening rather than Jennings. He has the same average and wasnt scared to get his 17 in 100 balls. 

Please get Hameed back to form

They announced the team today and Vince has gone back to his county: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45340174

• Moderators

I know he was. But Vince will be in the squad for the next game and if Moeen fails he'll be back in. Main issue is additions to the "you're young and done nothing wrong" list Curran was in, amd it's new member Pope.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I know he was. But Vince will be in the squad for the next game and if Moeen fails he'll be back in. Main issue is additions to the "you're young and done nothing wrong" list Curran was in, amd it's new member Pope.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that he isn't an option for tomorrow.

I thought, at 2-0 up and with Anderson and Broad talking about being rested, the third test was the perfect chance to reward Curran for some good performances and give him a real vote of confidence as a young prospect by keeping him in the team. Good that he's back in the side but he should never have been dropped in my opinion.

That hand injury has basically fucked his whole career. Amazing when you think about it.

Some journo on twitter just posted the following and it made me chuckle - I'm paraphrasing slightly.

Our number 3 should be batting 4. Our number 4 should be batting 5. Our number 5 has done well at 6. Our number 6 was picked to bat 7. Our number 7 has just scored a double hundred for his county batting at 3.

It's baffling at times. When we're 30-2 with Cook and Jennings both having nicked off for 15 then good luck lads.

• Paid Members

Mystic Mears' prediction on this one is that India go in to bat first and rack up a gargantuan score. I'm attending day two, so will see India bat for a session and then watch England get demolished by the close of play. We'll end up about 70-5, before a "gritty counterattacking knock" by Jos Buttler lifts us to a mighty score somewhere around 160. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Amd that's exactly what happened. Sam Curran was fantastic again though. What a find. He certainly seems to have The Stuff and hasnt played enough county to pick up bad habits.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

It's all so predictable at the minute, isn't it? Cook looks like he has lost the attributes that have made him our best ever opener, Jennings doesn't look like he has ever picked a bat up before and Root just look's like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Thank the fucking lord for Curren though! As Butch said, he look's the real deal in his first few Tests, although will probably be dropped in the last to give Garry fucking Ballance or some other waster their 400th try at cracking Test cricket...

• Moderators

Jennings is a fucking aberration. Do you remember when openers wpuld score a stodgy 20 by lunch? Nor do I recently. An openers job is not to waft at every ball they get. It's to take the shine off then open up.

If only Athers would coach (if he'd be good at it). Or, as Nasser Hussain in hia book when they went ro the Windies in 90 they took Boycs to "advise".