The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'd like to have seen them drop Broad but he produced one of his 'special spells' so I guess that's him booked in for another year.

I like Broad and I think he's been Courtney Walsh to Anderson's Curtly Ambrose at times - he doesn't quite get the same amount of wickets, but he does more donkey work. But when you're only decent left armer over the last few decades has been a couple of years of Ryan Sidebottom bowling great, it's such a great opportunity to develop Curran.

• Paid Members

Does anyone here understand what Ed Smith's selection philosophy actually is? (I appreciate the Stokes selection isn't just him) I'm completely baffled by it. 

Considering the majority of new players we've picked in recent years have been wank, I find it a bit crackers we are dropping those who actually performed solidly in recent tests like Curran and Bess. People can say 'well, his bowling would be shit again x', but we're never going to find out if we keep benching them and the more time against quality opposition, even at home, the more chance to adjust and grow. More generally, I'm just desperate for an attack that isn't 4 right arm over medium-fasts. You don't always pick your best bowlers, you pick those who compliment each other in an attack. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Smith bases it on limited overs form seemingly, other than Stokes and Pope.

Thing is though, where do you go selection wise? For honest county players with good avgs or the Duncan Fletcher method of looking if they've "the stuff" for test cricket, county be damned, and then do you take white ball form into consideration?

• Paid Members

You would assume it would be 'the stuff', based on the fact he's got about 5 old blokes doing scouting for him looking for those sort of players, including Trescothick. But then none of his selections bar possibly Pope suggest this has actually led to anything. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

In a change of pace there is a hilarious game on live with video on the bbc sport website. 

The TMS team vs a charity team of celebs. Aggers is burying everything on commentary. Mark Steel batting tried to take the light against Rainford Brents bowling. Express pace according to aggers. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

What is the idea behind starting a test match on a Saturday? Chances are everyone is going to be at work on the crunch days.

With the way things have gone it will be all over by tomorrow night. I'm supposed to be going Monday, I just hope there is some play left. 

• Paid Members

Hindsight and 'wait until you both bat' and all that, but don't understand the decision to bowl first yesterday. It's such a negative move to increase the chances of not losing the match, as opposed to winning it.

In situations like that, you ought to be stepping on the throat of the opposition and burying them. As it is, India have a decent platform here to work with.

Again, probably need to see how the match plays out, but Christ, we were crying out for some variation from the fast bowlers yesterday. Almost as if having a left armer in there would have been useful.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Hindsight and 'wait until you both bat' and all that, but don't understand the decision to bowl first yesterday. It's such a negative move to increase the chances of not losing the match, as opposed to winning it.

In situations like that, you ought to be stepping on the throat of the opposition and burying them. As it is, India have a decent platform here to work with.

Again, probably need to see how the match plays out, but Christ, we were crying out for some variation from the fast bowlers yesterday. Almost as if having a left armer in there would have been useful.

As is often the case, a players stock has risen by being dropped. 

I can see why Root chose to bowl first, if I'm honest. Sky was reporting that the pitch had about 10mm of live grass at the start, plus the sky was mostly overcast(although the cloud was high cloud cover). With how the Indian batsmen have struggled with a swinging and seaming Duke ball, I think I would have considered bowling too.

You're right about the attack lacking variety though. It was easy for the batsmen to pick up the line, length and pace of the ball. 

• Paid Members

Part of the reason why the ODI side has been so successful is because of the variety in the attack. A left armer, couple of right arm seamers, an offie and a leggie. No such thing in this attack.

• Paid Members

Wonderful bit of visual comedy at Gloucestershire the other day when a tail-ender came out for his first ball, hit it straight ahead, began running, got run out, and just carried on running back to the pavilion without selling it whatsoever.