The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I was thinking about whether getting rid of the toss would help test cricket in a way and stop there being so many hammerings for away sides.

It almost felt like a cheat yesterday, it was obvious India were going to be skittled in those conditions, just like most teams are when they come here and it's pissing down and cold. Like it must feel the same to them when we go over there and play on a dustbowl and get spun out before lunch.

I just think it would level the playing field a bit in these sorts of conditions and maybe we wouldn't see pitches be so heavily doctored in favour of home sides.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

The more things change the more they stay the same. Top order fail, then from number 5 onwards we steer away from the iceberg. Wonderful knock by Woakes, and YJB (Our finest batsman in the set up for my money) was bloody unlucky not to get a much deserved ton. I reckon knock another 100 if possible in the first session and declare, as showers are forecast Sunday and Monday.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

The more things change the more they stay the same. Top order fail, then from number 5 onwards we steer away from the iceberg. Wonderful knock by Woakes, and YJB (Our finest batsman in the set up for my money) was bloody unlucky not to get a much deserved ton. I reckon knock another 100 if possible in the first session and declare, as showers are forecast Sunday and Monday.

I have a full on man crush on Bairstow, and as a batsman he has to be up there with the likes of Kohli as the best in the world at the minute. He just never seems to let the team down when they need a bit of a shot in the arm. 

• Paid Members

Bairstow's first test hundred was one of my favourite ever sporting moments. If you didn't shed a tear when that happened then you're a better one than I. A wonderful moment. Love watching him bat.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bairstow's first test hundred was one of my favourite ever sporting moments. If you didn't shed a tear when that happened then you're a better one than I. A wonderful moment. Love watching him bat.

He's the ideal man to represent our country for me. Always plays with a smile on his face, seems a decent bloke off the pitch and has worked his ginger covered bollocks off to become the player he is today. Just wish some of the other players the test team has given a chance over the years had his work ethic!

We managed to get a song going for him at Headingley early last season that went:

(to the tune of "Oh Pretty Baby")

Oh Johnny Bairstow, you are the love of my life,

Oh Johnny Bairstowm I'd let you shag mi wife, 

Oh Johhny Bairstow, I want ginger hair too!

When he heard it, he sent one of the coaches up to us in the western terrace with a handfull of beer vouchers for the Headingly bar. Top bloke...

• Paid Members

Sorry about the double post, but India look a bit fooked after that defeat.

The batting line up look completely bamboozled by the conditions, and you can almost see their confidence dripping away. Add to that the fact it looks like Kohli is carrying a knock, and Ashwin has had his spinning finger clattered hard twice, and the white wash must be at least an outside bet, weather permitting obviously.

• Paid Members

Interested to see who England leave out in the next test now. It'll probably be Curran unless they choose to do some sort of rotation so they can bring Stokes back in. Who, by the way, looks as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo.

• Moderators

Stokes is fucked I reckon. I think he'll only get community service, but he's fucked up massively.

And, who's he going to push out? It's like the ODI team. He's not good enough to bat higher up the order, and the grey, warm and wet august we have coming is going to suit traditional English seamers getting a bit from the air and wicket. The XI is fine as it stands, other than the openers. You could maybe swap Moeen for Rashid and put Moeen at 8, but Rashid has done nothing wrong to get dropped. The top of the order is the worry. Unfortunately the invasion of white ball cricket has made a profligation of bits and pieces players vital, even in long form. A team of Pringles, Ealhams and Dimitri Mascarenhaseseses sounds like a selector's wet dream these days.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

As good a player as Stokes is, the place should be Woakes to lose now. 

As long as the ruling is favorable to him, he needs to knuckle down and play the county game until either Woakes' form dips, or he is playing so well they simply can't leave him out anymore

• Paid Members

I'd leave Curran out. Stokes has the ability to be exceptional at all aspects of the game. Curran will be ok in English conditions but he isn't quick enough, nor does he have enough skill to play for England overseas, with the exception of New Zealand. The line up for the next test has to be for me. 

Cook

Jennings

Root

Pope

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Woakes 

Rashid

Broad

Anderson

It's tough on Curran but he still has a lot to learn. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'd leave Curran out. Stokes has the ability to be exceptional at all aspects of the game. Curran will be ok in English conditions but he isn't quick enough, nor does he have enough skill to play for England overseas, with the exception of New Zealand. The line up for the next test has to be for me. 

Cook

Jennings

Root

Pope

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Woakes 

Rashid

Broad

Anderson

It's tough on Curran but he still has a lot to learn. 

I agree that is probably our best test team at the minute(although Jennings must be getting close to being dropped), and the balance Stokes gives the batting line up is great, but I've always been of the "don't change a winning team" disposition. With that in mind, I'd have to make Stokes fight to get his place back, rather than handing him it. I can see it being humbling for him too to have to carry the drinks for a series, which would also act as a punishment(if he is indeed found guilty). 

I'd also be mindful of completely destroying young Curren's confidence be dropping him when he's playing well. Obviously when we're on the tours of Sri Lanka and the West Indies(I'm fucked if I'm calling the "The Windies" like they want) then the need for two spinners will mean it's necessary to drop a seamer, and that's likely to be Curren. But at least then he will know that he's been dropped for tactical reasons, rather than just to give a place back to Stokes.