The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LariatTom said:

Who else do you put in to open? Haseeb at Lancs? Tipped to be the next great opener but had a terrible 2017. He *could* throw his name in with some big scores at the start of the season.

I'm still not convinced Stoneman is the right answer either. Couple of 50s, and he seems to have the temperament but not can't convert when it counts. Did all the hard work today and then was out without going on to make a big score.

Cook needs a couple of big scores with Essex to find some form, I think that'll show if he wants to turn his form around. The selectors won't drop him though, he pulls out big scores once in a blue moon and he's got too much credit with the selectors to be dropped. I can see him packing it in this summer and taking up spud growing on his farm. 

First drop is anyone's. May as well offer it on a rotating door at this rate. No one seems to want to bat there. 

Welcome back! A very pleasant surprise. Are you still playing cricket in Germany? If so how is it going?

I never really left, just became a permanent lurker on this place.

I'm back in Manchester now, trying to get back into playing this season but then got engaged and things went mental. Hopefully I'll pick up a game or two over summer though.

I do still keep tabs on my old team from Hamburg. The women's team finished 3rd nationally last year and won the Northern Indoor championship over winter, the two men's teams are going strong with some of them playing for Germany at different age levels. 

The league season starts (or was meant to start) this weekend at home for THCC. I suspect not..

It really was one of my favourite places to play the game.

• Moderators

What's German conditions like? Is it the same as British? Green top, thick wet air, so suits medium pace with a bit of swing? Or are they carpet drop in wickets where there's nothing in it for any bowler? Or anything else?

There aren't too many grass wickets. THCC (my club) were the only team in the North to have a grass wicket. So medium pace with a bit of swing will pick up a lot of wickets. Outright pace works, though spinners could take a pounding on some grounds with very small boundaries.

Umpiring was a bit of an unknown quantity. You knew which umpires knew the game, you knew which would raise the finger for an LBW shout regardless because they don't understand the rule. That happens everywhere in club cricket though. The DCB are working on it by funding umpiring courses.

The actual pitches could be massively variable which made for interesting games. You could get some games on a field with a few inches of grass, so run making was very difficult and I had a few games on incredibly rough outfields with stones everywhere. With drop in wickets of different quality, bounce was impossible to predict. One ball on a good length might jump up at you, the next in the same area would stay low and hit the pads.

The quality of cricket is improving year on year. There have been plenty of articles about the rise of game, between expats and a large number of Afghans moving there in recent years, its doing well. With that and some more funding for German cricket, facilities will improve.

• Paid Members

As an umpire myself Tom I can tell you that umpiring is like that everywhere. I genuinely despair at some of the umpires who stand around here. I thought the new version of the laws over the winter might encourage some of the worst umpires to pack in, but if you didn't know the old laws then not knowing the new ones isn't a problem. 

• Paid Members

I had a marvellous weekend at Taunton for Somerset vs. Ireland in a four day pre-season game. Proper cricket. It pissed it down Saturday morning, so no play was possible until 4PM. Sunday was one of the better days I have had in a while, despite the fact it was -5 outside. We skittled Ireland out for bobbins in a session, and I then got to see 42 year old Marcus Trescothick obliterate Ireland's seam attack, scoring 96 off around 100 balls and only getting out strangled bowl leg by some aimless Boyd Rankin shittery. 

I struggle to see past Ireland getting murdered in the test arena. They were thoroughly outclassed in all facets of the game by a Somerset side that didn't have Leach or Overton. The seam attack was even more repetitive than England's, with Boyd Rankin offering the only difference with his wayward short stuff. Batting wasn't much to write home about either, especially considering Trescothick, Byrom and Hildreth all made it look like a car park after Ireland huffed and puffed to about 150 all out. 

Expect us to get relegated this year, especially after Bancroft fucked up our overseas berth and our chairman resigned after a whopping 8 months at the helm. We've replaced him with some bloke who used to run John Lennon Airport, the natural precursor to running a cricket club in the West Country. Still excited for the start of the season though, particularly as I get three days of Somerset vs. Yorkshire during my birthday weekend. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

The only 4 dayer I'm going to get to watch in it's entireity this year is 29th Aug, Glam vs Warwicks at Colwyn Bay. And with that being the last weekend the kids are off it'll fucking rain. Probably take my nephew to a few T20s at Old Trafford though as he loved it there last year.

• Paid Members

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23151373/kumar-sangakkara-replaces-shane-warne-sky-sports-commentary

I really like Sanga, I think he's superb on commentary, but anyone know why Warney's gone? I'll miss him.

Also, Harbhajan Singh during the Indian tour's going to be fun!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Max Power said:

TMS have lost the rights to the Sri Lanka and West Indies winter tours to Talksport.

What a disaster for me this. No more shipping forecast. Just adverts for Wickes or Selco.

So fucking shit. A rare occasion where I will (Geoff) boycott something. Of course, by the sound of things everyone's mate, David 'T'up North, one of the lads' Lloyd' appears to be involved. What a total fucking knob that bloke is. There is no bar so low that he would not stoop himself below it for 50 quid.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Just been reading about the ECB's proposals for the new T20 tournament. Well, I say "T20", as they want to limit an innings to 100 balls. That's 15, traditional six ball overs followed by a final over consisting of 10 deliveries. 

I honestly don't know what to say!

• Paid Members
On 19/04/2018 at 5:08 PM, Cod Eye said:

Just been reading about the ECB's proposals for the new T20 tournament. Well, I say "T20", as they want to limit an innings to 100 balls. That's 15, traditional six ball overs followed by a final over consisting of 10 deliveries. 

I honestly don't know what to say!

Maddest suggestion I've seen so far is that in the final over, everyone other than the wicket keeper has to bowl one ball.

• Paid Members

Why don't we just have one v one cricket and have done with it. Each captain puts up his 1 to 11 like the Ryder Cup singles then they get to bowl 1 ball at each other, highest runs wins. Whole game takes 22 balls. Perhaps the ECB might be happy then.