The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
On 3/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, Fog Dude said:

So we're agreed then. More tradition is needed in the domestic game, but much less of it is required in the international game. 

Pity the ECB and ICC aren't about to see things that way. 

More in the international game for me as well is required. Fuck the BCCI.

• Paid Members

Smith and Warner banned for a year and Bancroft for nine months. Good.

I still think they are talking out their arse if Lehmann and (at least most) of the rest of the team did not know. A leadership 'group' of two, Lehmann's gonzo binoculars and phone call, plus bowlers not being in the know when it would have benefited them. Hardly figure on the Grassy Knoll level.

Even more irritating is that Bancroft was going to be Somerset's overseas player. 

• Paid Members

Could be worse Dev, we could be cheating and still getting stuffed. As for the cheating Aussies, Warner and Smith have lost their IPL money as well. That's where it will really hurt them. Interesting to see that Warner won't be considered for the captaincy ever again if he plays and that Smith can't be captain for 2 years.  Warner was obviously the ring leader. 

Did you see the tape on Warner's hand? There's a close up picture and its taped up like a he's handling dragons on a daily basis. The points mentioned above are all true - no way Lehmann and his binoculars didn't know, no way did the bowlers not know.

On the radio yesterday, Hawksbee or Jacobs interviewed that tool Neil Bancroft who was commentating at the time. He said that the camera men had spotted something in the previous test, because despite a load of rain and the lushest outfield of the summer, the ball was reverse swinging after 20 overs. They needed concrete proof that something was going off. Therefore the admission that this was the first time it happened is bollocks.

Apparently Smith has a British passport. Might see if he fancies a stint of league cricket next year.

21 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

More in the international game for me as well is required. Fuck the BCCI.

In that sense, yeah, I agree the privileged money-grabbing position of India has to go. I just meant 'less tradition' in the sense that the ICC should be trying to expand the global game instead of restricting it to as few countries as possible. 

• Moderators

Less traditon is India playing as much as possible in the WC for commercial interests.There was two associates in the first world cup. Now there are none. The BCCI's stranglehold is going to tighten the game massively as regards growth.

• Paid Members

Typical England. Get bowled out for 58 so they drop 2 bowlers in Moeen and Woakes. Then they add that paragon of resolute batting James Vince to the squad. Trent Boult is adding the 2 wickets of Vince to his career stats already. Good to see Leach get a call up though. Now they just need to give him a bowl. 

• Paid Members

I'm nervous to fuck about Jack'o. I doubt he'll be afforded the number of chances most England players get, but, my word, he has grafted for this. I've seen probably 75% of his home games live and he works so hard, bowling, batting and fielding, despite only really being naturally talented in one of those facets. Not been this excited for a debut ever (Coverton is forever marred by the fact he was a tosspot racist a few years back for me). If Leach performs as he has done on the county circuit for the past few years, he'll make it. He's the best spinner in the country and I hope he performs to his ability. Top player and top bloke.

Edit: Shrek's been binned as well per Cricinfo:

Darren Lehmann has announced that the Johannesburg Test will be his last as Australia coach, as the ball-tampering scandal that occurred in the Cape Town Test continues to take its toll on Australian cricket.

"As many who sit in this room will know, life on the road means a lot of time away from loved ones and after speaking to my family, it is the right time to step away," an emotional Lehmann on the eve of the fourth Test against South Africa at the Wanderers. "I hope the team rebuilds and the Australian public can forgive the young men and get behind the XI."

Lehmann's decision to step down as coach came despite a Cricket Australia inquiry that claimed he had no prior knowledge of David Warner, Steven Smith and Cameron Bancroft's plan to tamper with the ball on the third day at Newlands. He made his announcement hours after Smith broke down in front of reporters at a press conference in Sydney.

"Speaking to the players and saying goodbye is the toughest thing I have had to do," Lehmann said. "It's been happening for a few days and you think you can keep going but the amount of abuse just takes it toll. They made a mistake. Speaking to my family, they've had enough of traveling 300 days. This was entirely my decision. I have been speaking to the hierarchy in the last couple of days."

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

I think it's harsh. Ball tampering goes on at all levels. Even in village you pick the seam, grow your thumbnails to dig them in, stop runs with your studs, or underarm it to the keeper to bounce or roll on the rough. It's part of the game.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

This has all been a massive overreaction. I mean, how long a ban did Atherton get for the dirt in the pocket?

Then again, it's afforded us the chance to see Steven Smith bawling his eyes out in a press conference which, just a few months after he was laughing his head off at Bancroft being a cock in one, is quite the amusing turnaround.

• Moderators

I loved the fact Michael Vaughan said Smith and Bancroft deserve a fair return. No mention of Warner.

Athers claimed that he didn't dry the ball, he was keeping it dry. He didn't get a first for nothing.

DIRTY LIVE CHAT: James VInce is gonna James Vince. Dire. I like the look of Stoneman though. Not afraid to take the shine off the ball.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

James Vince is so shite it's incredible. Struggling to think of a player in recent times so plainly not cut out for test cricket. Every single stroke involves him taking a massive stride up the pitch, irrespective of whether it makes any sense. He's a worse version of Alex Hales and I didn't like him either.

I think Cook is done. He looks as out of nick as that drought a few years back, but he's now older and frankly, doesn't seem to have the appearance of someone willing to graft in the nets for hours to arrest the decline. 

Who else do you put in to open? Haseeb at Lancs? Tipped to be the next great opener but had a terrible 2017. He *could* throw his name in with some big scores at the start of the season.

I'm still not convinced Stoneman is the right answer either. Couple of 50s, and he seems to have the temperament but not can't convert when it counts. Did all the hard work today and then was out without going on to make a big score.

Cook needs a couple of big scores with Essex to find some form, I think that'll show if he wants to turn his form around. The selectors won't drop him though, he pulls out big scores once in a blue moon and he's got too much credit with the selectors to be dropped. I can see him packing it in this summer and taking up spud growing on his farm. 

First drop is anyone's. May as well offer it on a rotating door at this rate. No one seems to want to bat there.