The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

• Paid Members

That was bad even by your standards :p

No, just the two votes, but a 1st and 2nd placing (much like TIE Fighter) is enough to get it that high. That's why 100 - 50 shouldn't be taken that seriously, and only really there to see what just missed out.

I didn't expect the lower numbers to have scored so poorly. And, well, I loved Simpsons Hit n' Run even if no one else did! :angry:

Edited by elegia

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator
15. California Games - Commodore 64

While I didn't have a C64 a friend did, in fact most of them did! California Games ate up many an afternoon whatever year it was that it came out. I was quite good at surfing but useless at hacky sack - kind of mirroring real life!

Fucking hated this piece of shit. Spent hours playing it on the master system and never got any good at it. The keepie-uppies round is the worst thing ever. Recently downloaded it for the DS. It's still just as shit!

No. Well yes, Footbag was awful, and Flying Disc was pushing it. But BMX, Half Pipe and especially Surfing were tremendous at the time. And that summer lovin' title music...

Heh, my favourite two events were footbag and frisbee!

Axel, Double Axel, Jester, Headbanger, Five In A Row...

:(

I go away on holiday, come back and see the last 10 titles....

What a disappointment. The diversity of the 50-30 range gave me hope, but as I said in the pre-thread, what's happened is that the vote is massively skewed to games in the last 10 years, and also massively to series. The GTA series, whilst good, does not deserve 4 top 50 finishes for goodness sakes.

I said to Black that I thought my choices were really mainstream. How wrong I was.

1. Frontier: Elite 2 (Amiga/PC)

The greatest game ever made, it took the infinite breadth of Elite and added incredible graphics, storylines, planets, immense space battles. First Encounters, the sequel, is even better IF you can get a fully patched and working version.

2. Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Both a brilliant single-player and multiplayer experience. BattleMode in this original is the best by far.

3. Halo (Xbox)

Completely reinvented the shooter genre. Multiplayer and online set the benchmark for all other games. Sequels hugely disappointing on all fronts.

4. Jet Set Willy (Spectrum)

Brilliantly inventive, sprawling game that epitomised the joy of 8-bit games. The WRITETYPER poke opened the whole mansion up to prolonged exploration.

5. Call Of Duty 4 (360)

The pinnacle of modern console gaming. Immersive, exciting singleplayer story, and superlative online action. Better than film.

6 Bard's Tale (Spectrum)

The grandfather of modern MMOs, this huge game ate up your life for years on end. The graphics were genuinely spooky in their sparseness, and for the time this way a very tense play.

7.Tekken 2 (PSOne)

The king of fighting games. Every character was balanced, the graphics rocked, and it had bears in for the laydees. Yet to be surpassed.

8. Gran Turismo (PSOne)

A game so graphically advanced, it sent shivers through the dev community. Hundreds of hours of gameplay, and real racing control for the first time.

9. Deus Ex (PC)

A neglected classic. Attempted something really different, a large complex story with multiple pathways. Foreshadowed sandbox games, and the production values were high for the time.

10. Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault (PC)

The soundtrack for this game was inredible and immersive, and launched my towards my career in games. The Omaha beach assault is the best scene in game history, a jolting reality check.

11. Target Renegade (Spectrum)

Hitting girls with baseballs bats = fun for teenagers in the 80s. Rocking music that I hooked the Speccy up to a guitar amp to hear in all its goodness.

12. Aliens v Predator (Jaguar)

The best Aliens or indeed Predator game made, but on a very unpopular platform. Atmospheric, scary, and very very hard.

13. Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)

My gosh this was fun to play. The shock of turning the tide in the favour of the Rebellion only for Darth Vader to turn up and slice you repeatedly to pieces was epic. An early online classic on the Xbox too. Deserves a thorough reworking for the next gen consoles. The best Star Wars game ever made.

14. Sentinel (Spectrum) / Sentinel Returns (PSOne)

Not a game as much as an interactive conceptual puzzle. The original C64 game was brilliant - astonishing 3-d graphics for 1986. Crammond went on make Stunt Car Racer. The PSOne/PC remake of Sentinel is absolutely brilliant too, and much more accessible for being on more modern platforms, with music by John Carpenter.

15. Syphon Filter (PSOne)

A lost classic, it and its sequel probably the best games on the original Playstation. Cracking plot, fact action and cool combat, it's really the perfect console game. The series didn't make the jump to next-gen, sadly.

Fair enough nobody voted for Target Renegade, but where is Deus Ex? Where is Elite in any of its forms? Where is Gran Turismo? Tekken? I would have laid heavy odds on those being in there.

Re: The Gunstar Heroes outrage. I was going to put it in, but decided that Guardian Heroes is the Treasure classic that needed to be on the list more. Gunstar Heroes is fantastic though. Melon Bread~!

Ive never really been enamoured with Guardian Heroes, havent spent enough time on it though.. must sort out and go through my GBa super heroes version even though i know its supposed to be cack compared to the saturn game, might as well give it a go.

Lots of current games in peoples top 15.. Is this generation any better over the older ones? i havent got acurrent gen console so, i have no spacking idea, but if some one could fill me in about it that would great. All i see is lots of FPS,Sequels and better graphics... not real evolvement as it were.

As for the Mentions

Frontier; Elite 2... Win,... could lose days playing that game and literally built a massive fortune trading between two ports!

Track and Field.... Yes great game, simple, button basher, but has that one more go that will drive people crazy

Star Wars Battlefront, seems to be a bit of an underated classic, i dont know many people that have it, and or indeed played it.. this and the second one ( mos Eisley Jedi Battle of Death) were excellent, even if the game was just death match agogo

• Paid Members
Has this thread inspired anyone to try out some of the games mentioned, either because they charted highly, or because the more obscure nominations might be hidden gems?

Inspried me to go on ebay and find cheap copies of ISS 98 (PS1) and Smackdown: Here comes the Pain (PS2). While i was looking for them, I also bought World Cup 98, which I love!

Loki mentioning Gran Turismo has just reminded me how much i loved that on the PS1 too.

• Paid Members
What the fuck is a "Jaguar"?

:laugh:

I presume you didn't own a 3DO or a CD-i or an Amiga CD-32 either? Pfft.

It was an absolute flop of a console is what it was, and it's colossal failure led to Atari not making consoles any more. AVP was a genuine classic and received universal critical accclaim though, and it had the best console conversion of DOOM. Tempest 2000 earned much praise as well.

All the talk of it being 64-bit~! was not enough to make up for a comedically small software library and not nearly enough about it to tempt away owners of the already well established 16 bit consoles.

What I liked on the Jag were those absolutely horrific digitised beat'em ups. Kasumi Ninja in particular.

Also the absolutely absurd control pad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atari_ja..._controller.jpg

It's about as comfortable as it looks. Makes your hands as sweaty as all hell too.

It still has a big homebrew scene these days, and is a bit of a cult favourite.

Rumbelows believed in the Jaguar. Good old Rumbelows.

Edited by JLM

The controller was boss, each game came with a little plastic cover that went over the numbered controller, themed to the game:

jag_controller01.2.jpg

As JLM says, there were some classics on it: the best versions I've played of AvP, Doom, Tempest. The real downfall of it was that it wasn't designed to kick out millions of polygons, and came out just before the explosion in 3-d gaming. Though technically more powerful than the PSOne, it was totally outgunned in the polygons department, and lacked the capacity of a CD drive.

They made a bolt-on one though - can anyone spot the unfortunate side-effect of it, visually speaking:

jaguar.jpg