7. Timesplitters 3 (Xbox)

8. Burnout 3 (PS2)

9. Halo 2 (Xbox 360)

10. SSX 3 (PS2)

11. Call Of Duty 2 (Xbox 360)

12. Portal (PC)

13. Quake 2 (PC)

13. Half Life 2: Episode 2 (PC)

14. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360)

15. Saints Row 2 (Xbox 360)

Quake only at 100? You people...

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15. California Games - Commodore 64

While I didn't have a C64 a friend did, in fact most of them did! California Games ate up many an afternoon whatever year it was that it came out. I was quite good at surfing but useless at hacky sack - kind of mirroring real life!

Fucking hated this piece of shit. Spent hours playing it on the master system and never got any good at it. The keepie-uppies round is the worst thing ever. Recently downloaded it for the DS. It's still just as shit!

No. Well yes, Footbag was awful, and Flying Disc was pushing it. But BMX, Half Pipe and especially Surfing were tremendous at the time. And that summer lovin' title music...

My list, as sent to Black2 (non-charters in red):

1) Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Mega Drive)

- The pinnacle of the series. Superb adventure with stages that remain fun to explore, and a fitting end to the "true" Sonic era.

(By the way, I think any votes for Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles should count as a vote for this. And I don't say that out of bias!)

2) SmackDown: Here Comes The Pain (PlayStation 2)

- Retained a lot of No Mercy's traits before the rot truly set in with each subsequent update. Good, smash-mouth WWE fun.

3) Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

- The blueprint for all 3D platform adventures that followed, and still unbeaten, narrowly edging out Galaxy with its longevity.

4) Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360/PlayStation 3)

- A fantastic sandbox game with an emotionally mature story and stunning graphics. The backlash was inevitable but undue.

5) Shenmue II (Xbox)

- A second installment in the most ambitious game of its time, with characters and settings that draw you in. Let down only by QTEs.

6) Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (Nintendo DS)

- An evolution of the 2D GTA series, adding elements of the 3D games to create the ultimate pick-up-and-play addiction.

7) Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System)

- Shut up. This game introduced me to consoles and partially defined my childhood. Many aspects unappreciated by a Mega Drive child.

8) Portal (Xbox 360)

- The rarest of things in modern gaming: originality. A revolutionary concept carried out to perfection, with wonderful humour to boot.

9) Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright: Trials And Tribulations (Nintendo DS/Game Boy Advance)

- For my money, the best story in a great series. From the art to the music to the cases themselves, it's dripping with personality.

10) Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)

- Unfairly written off as a Mario 64 clone by some, Rare's world had more character than Nintendo's often sterile environments.

11) Super Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)

- An unpopular choice for sure, but I prefer it to the SNES original and haven't played enough of further sequels to compare them.

12) Jewel Quest Expeditions (Nintendo DS)

- Kept me going for months as the game I picked up to crack on with while absorbing WWE in the background. Derivative but addictive.

13) Streets Of Rage (Mega Drive)

- Most will choose its immediate sequel, but I grew up with this version and believe there's no better level in gaming than the lift.

14) Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Mega Drive)

- For me, the peak in MK's playability and character depth. The story could also still be followed at this point, before it got silly.

15) Omikron: The Nomad Soul (PC/Dreamcast)

- Guaranteed to be the only vote it receives, but Omikron captured my imagination just like it claimed to capture the player's soul.

That Portal didn't crack the top fifty is the biggest travesty in this entire poll.

• Awards Moderator
That Portal didn't crack the top fifty is the biggest travesty in this entire poll.

It surprised me too; I think the thing is lots of people love it and stick it in their lists, but almost in a token position such as 15. I think it's because it's not particularly fleshed out as a game: great premise, lovely levels, quick twist, then it's all over. Great fun but it lingers in the memory for just an instant. Were it double the length, I think it would be regarded much higher.

All the chat about Track and Field made me dig my DS out last night to have another go. It still tickles me that they retained the original arcade music untouched.

I played a bit this morning and got PBs in the Long Jump, Pole Vault, 400m and Skeet Shotting - with a WR in the latter. I played with a new character for the first time, Kiko - she's quite the athlete.

• Awards Moderator
I know I don't play many games, but some of my top 5 haven't been mentioned at all throughout everyones lists.

That's true for pretty much everyone.

• Paid Members

Re: The Gunstar Heroes outrage. I was going to put it in, but decided that Guardian Heroes is the Treasure classic that needed to be on the list more. Gunstar Heroes is fantastic though. Melon Bread~!

Also, yeah, a lot of people have top 5 games that didn't make anyone else's list, it's the nature of the thing. My number 1 hasn't come up on another list yet. I know one other person voted for it, but as far as I'm aware that's it.

elegia, you sly dog you! I wondered who else voted Harvest Moon and was stunned to see it make the 50. I know it was on the list of two people I know outside of the forum, but to then see another quote that wasn't from either of them was a shocker. A wise choice indeed.

• Paid Members
Also, yeah, a lot of people have top 5 games that didn't make anyone else's list, it's the nature of the thing. My number 1 hasn't come up on another list yet. I know one other person voted for it, but as far as I'm aware that's it.

It must have had ranked pretty high in the other guys list to make it into the 60's if no one else voted for it, though. My number one hasn't been listed by anyone else and didn't crack the top 100 so chances are Third Strike garnered more than just two votes. Black2?

elegia, you sly dog you! I wondered who else voted Harvest Moon and was stunned to see it make the 50. I know it was on the list of two people I know outside of the forum, but to then see another quote that wasn't from either of them was a shocker. A wise choice indeed.

Hells yeah, made my day to see it actually in the top 50! I sunk so many hours into the game when I was a kid.

• Paid Members

Nah, Black2 went with SFIV instead.

Third Strike was number one on mine and I believe number two on Whinehouse's list. I can't imagine anyone else voting for it, though maybe a 1 and 2 vote is enough to boost it up the list.

What an amazing game it is. If it turned up on XBLA with decent netcode I think I'd make sweet love to my 360.

• Awards Moderator

It must have had ranked pretty high in the other guys list to make it into the 60's if no one else voted for it, though. My number one hasn't been listed by anyone else and didn't crack the top 100 so chances are Third Strike garnered more than just two votes. Black2?

No, just the two votes, but a 1st and 2nd placing (much like TIE Fighter) is enough to get it that high. That's why 100 - 50 shouldn't be taken that seriously, and only really there to see what just missed out.