The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator
92. Dynasty Warriors 4

I love mindless, repetitive hack and slash but I've never taken to the Warrriors games. They don't hold my attention for very long. I can appreciate the appeal, I like the art style and the fun historical context, but they're not for me on the whole.

I always wanted to love this series more, and there's about 70% of a good game here. I love the idea of being god-like on the battlefield, and sending troops swarming everywhere and making an impact on the war. But the action was just a shade too dull, and the checkpoints about an hour too far apart.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work Black2. Disappointed that some of my picks didn't make the top 100, but at least four made the top 50 .

Here's my list:

1) Max Payne (PC)

Stylish third-person shooter. It’s noir-like presentation made it stand out from other games. Whilst the second game improved certain aspects, the first still remains my favourite due to it being unlike any game I’d played before. Some of the graphics were also very impressive as well, particularly the atmosphere created by the dark and snowy New York exteriors.

2) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)

The game that made me buy a PS2. Whilst GTA III did a great job of bringing the series in to three dimensions, Vice City took what made GTA III such a good game, and turned it up to eleven. The ‘80s setting and soundtrack were superb, and the excellent voice acting helped to drive the game’s story along, particularly in respect to Ray Liotta’s performance as Tommy Vercetti, which was a big improvement over the mute lead character ‘Claude’ in GTA III.

3) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

A game that should be part of every gamers collection. It keeps the storytelling simple, and instead allows the stunning artwork, relationship between Wander and Agro, and the incredible battles with the superbly designed Colossi to guide you through the game. As close as gaming has come to being considered art. Also has one of the best game soundtracks of all time.

4) Max Payne 2 (PC)

A great game in it’s own right. Improved upon certain aspects of the first game (character graphics for one), but not as groundbreaking overall.

5) Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

Although the recent Football Manager games have exceeded it in terms of features, for it’s time CM01/02 was the pinnacle of football management games and in my view remains the most addictive of the Championship Manager/Football Manager series.

6) Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PC/PS2)

The pinnacle of the PES series so far (especially after the last two disappointing versions), and in my opinion the best football game ever (in terms of action simulation games). The gameplay is great, the editing options are very good, and whilst it isn’t as good looking as the latest version, it still has some great community support (for the PC version especially).

7) Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 (PC)

A fun arcadey football game that had a wealth of options, and tonnes of teams to choose from. I still can’t listen to Jonathan Pearce commentate without thinking of some of his commentary in this game (such as “The full time whistle blows, it’s been a complete rout”).

8) Resident Evil 4 (GC)

Resident Evil 4 took a series (and genre) that had become fairly stale, and freshened it up. Great graphics and cut-scenes, good set-pieces and whilst not as scary or tense as previous games in the series/genre, it still provided some great thrills.

9) Pikmin (GC)

A fantastic RTS from Nintendo. Excellent graphics and gameplay, and it’s impossible not the like the little Pikmin themselves. Whilst the sequel improved certain aspects of the game, the original wowed me more the first time I played it.

10) Beyond Good and Evil (PC)

A beautiful and absorbing action/adventure game. Has deservingly been given a sequel. Carlson and Peters demands that it should gain a place in any top 50/100 list.

11) Mafia (PC)

Despite it’s gameplay flaws, it managed to create an almost movie-like feel with it’s excellent cut scenes, and authentic feeling atmosphere. A compelling story made you genuinely care for some of the characters, particularly in regards to the final cut scene.

12) Theme Hospital (PC)

An excellent, and humorous management game. Also, is possibly the only time ‘Rocket’ Ronnie Jepson has been referred to as a V.I.P.

13) Rollercoaster Tycoon (PC)

An updated take on the ‘Theme Park’ management genre. The two sequels and several add-on packs failed to capture the magic of the first game (the second game being almost like an add-on rather than a sequel). The best bit was designing and building your own roller coaster. The worst bit was having to redesign it again after the test results revealed that it would cause extremely high levels of nausea among your customers.

14) Grand Theft Auto (PC)

The game that spawned the hugely successful series. Had several flaws compared to later games (such as not being able to save during a level), but had a certain charm and was unlike anything I’d played before in terms of large maps and excellent radio stations (that contained some great original music) which became a staple of the series. Wasted many hours just driving around the cities, discovering bits and pieces that were separate from the main missions.

15) Grand Prix 2 (PC)

Also known as Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix 2. Excellent racing sim, with a dedicated community that enabled the downloading and installing of new tracks, car liveries and driver stats which gave it extra longevity. Despite two sequels, it still remains the definitive F1 simulator.

Edited by jerichoholictufcfan

My top 15 are mostly older games and you'll probably notice that they all have fairly simple controls - I'm no good when it comes to combos!

1. Tetris - Gameboy

Got a Gameboy with my Uni student loan, that alone makes me feel very old! I spent hours and hours and hours playing Tetris and it's one of only a handful that I was actually very good at. Something very satisfying about getting those 4 row block elminations. I also remember there was a different gameplay mode which ended, if successful, with a little band playing or a rocket going off - cute.

2. Lumines - PSP

The next generation of Tetris for me, with some great music, within the realms of a Lumines game anyway.

3. Mario Bros. - Game & Watch

I got this for passing my 11+ From what i remember there was a Mario Brother on either side of a bottle factory and you had to pass boxes of bottles from one conveyor belt to another on 3 different levels, ultimately having them loaded onto a trock. Bottle breaking lost a life and a panicked face from either Mario or Luigi! Simplistic by any standards of the last 25 years but utterly addictive at the time.

4. Track and Field - Arcade

10p could last you all afternoon - one reason I enjoyed going down to Torquay with my parents on a Sunday afternoon was the penny flipper and Track and Field. Once I managed to work out the angles on events such as the long jump and pole vault I became a demon at this. I recently bought a Nintendo DS so I could play Track and Field - I enjoyed it, but like most gaming machines I've owned in the last 15 years it's back in the cupboard after minimal use.

5. Streetfighter II - SNES

I could only play Ryu or Ken, effectively anyway. I also used neither to their full potential, but what I did know I used well and was pretty good. Countless hours were spent playing this with friends in the summer I finished school. While I was pretty good at the SNES version, I could never beat the Chinese kid in the arcade, but then nor could anyone else - he got to play Streetfighter II all summer and I swear he never had to put one coin in that machine!

6. Mario Kart - SNES

Possibly the game I am best at, and on most platforms, but this one gives me the greatest memories of playing with friends. Can be heartbreaking at times, like when you are heading for the finish line and you see a friend get a red shell, or when you are chasing a friend and all you get is a banana - though they could be used more effectively once I learned how to throw them rather than just drop them.

7. Breakout - ZX Spectrum 48K

The first computer game I ever became addicted to. When I was at school we had 2 48Ks and you'd put your name down to be able to take one home for the weekend. When it was my turn I took full advantage and played this to death.

8. Double Dragon - Arcade

I've always been a martial arts fan, and practtitioner at one point, so this game was right up my alley. It also wasn't too hard so I could get value for money down the arcade, when I took time away from Track and Field. They made a film about this many years later which was so bad I stopped half way through.

9. Mr Puniverse - Commodore Plus/4

I had to make the most of not getting a 64 like I'd asked for and this game was one of the best I found. It was a platform game with terrible graphics and I wasn't actually that good at it so I never progressed very far. This was a decade or so before the inernet and cheat sites, and no magazine was going to waste space publishing cheats for Plus/4 games - it's a sad tale really :(

10. Duck Hunt - NES

I don't remember which relative of mine had this, but as a kid I played this lots, but even more so when I went to university and we bought an old NES and would see what weird and wonderful positions we could take aim from - inside cupboards, upside down behind sofas - what wacky crazy students we were :0/

11. Everybody's Golf - PSP

A game that found myself quite good at, to my surprise. Probably because it's quite easy! The characters are fun and winning tournaments is always gratifying. There is one stage I got to where I could progress no further - I seem to remember a big valley and the tee on a plateau, but I could have made that up. One day I'll dig my PSP out and try to get past that point, maybe.

12. Star Wars Lego - PS3

I bought a PS3 predominantly for Blu-ray playback but bought a few games too. As a Star Wars geek this is about the only Star Wars game I've been able to progress in, probably because it's aimed at kids. The Lego and Star Wars universes blend brilliantly and I love the lego re-enactments are very funny - I especially like the Darth Maul death scene.

13. Disney Think Fast - PS2

Recently bought this to play with the wife, as we are both huge Disney fans and wanted a game we could play together. Lots of fun with the Genie from Aladdin as the perfect host. Only problem is I am no good at the fruit toos so she quite often beats me as that's the round with the biggest potential points haul.

14. Operation Wolf - Arcade

You get to hold an actual gun, well almost, and shoot people - who wouldn't love this? I remember having the Spectrum version but using the joystick wasn't quite the same.

15. California Games - Commodore 64

While I didn't have a C64 a friend did, in fact most of them did! California Games ate up many an afternoon whatever year it was that it came out. I was quite good at surfing but useless at hacky sack - kind of mirroring real life!

1. Tetris - Gameboy

Got a Gameboy with my Uni student loan, that alone makes me feel very old! I spent hours and hours and hours playing Tetris and it's one of only a handful that I was actually very good at. Something very satisfying about getting those 4 row block elminations. I also remember there was a different gameplay mode which ended, if successful, with a little band playing or a rocket going off - cute.

As I remember it, if you passed a certain score then you'd be treated to the rocket animation after finally losing the game. But I only saw it once or twice. :(

:yinyang: Well I'm actually very pleased with how that list turned out, as soon as FF7 came in at number 10 i knew Golden Eye had to be number 1(despite it not even making my top 15). Well here's my list, 9 out of 15 made it into the top 50 which isn't bad at all.

1: Silent Hill 2

2: Final Fantasy 7

3: The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

4: Broken Sword The Shadow Of The Templar’s

5: Resident Evil 2

6: Silent Hill

7: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

8: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

9: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

10: Metal Gear Solid

11: Little Big Planet

12: Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!?

13: The Secret Of Monkey Island

14: Shining Force 2

15: Alex Kidd in Miracle World

I'll also add my name to the list of people who were shocked to see both Worms and Doom not even make the top 100. I'm also surprised Discworld didn't make it either, i mean i can't be the only person here who's a fan of 'em.

Edited by insert_name_here

Heres my list. Plenty of retros..

1. Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (PC)

Loved this game and still do to this day, the best online game I have ever played even today the game still looks as good as it did back then, the fun & enjoyment this game has given me pretty much made this my number one.

2. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

I remember being blown away by this game when it first came out, I stayed up all weekend to play this and remember completing the game by the end of the weekend after picking it up on the friday.

3. Goldeneye (N64)

This was the only reason I ever went round my cousins as they had an N64, loved the multiplayer and this game alone made me realise how good multiplayer games can be (4+ players). This is the only game on my list that I never had at the time, but did buy an N64 a few years ago off ebay just to own/play this game.

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PC/PS3)

Was a tough call between Pro Evo 5 & 6, but went with 6 as it was the last good online game of pro evo IMO but only one pro evo game was going to make my top 15 but overall most of them combined kinda earns its number 4 status.

5. Grand Theft Auto (Original)

I'm probably one of the few who preferred the classic to the other GTA games, loved how it was simple, fun & addictive.

6. Sensible World Of Soccer (Amiga)

This game was just beautiful and an awesome football game, you can play it now and still have as much fun as you did when you first played it.

7. Populous 2 (Amiga)

I remember as a kid playing this game for hours & hours (and the original) and being just fasinated about the whole thing, that reason alone made it my number 7.

8. Super Mario Brothers 3 (Snes)

Keeping with the simples (again prefer this type of mario than the 3D) I think this is the perfect platform game.

9. Zool 2 (Amiga)

Was so beautifully done back in its time, looked fab, loved the characters and wish it was still around today.

10. Shadow Of Memories (PS2)

I believe this is one of the games Black2 has never heard of before my nomination, very underated I think, the story and different possible endings made this game very different from others (at least in its time), probably more cinematic than actual gameplay but with the PS2 at the time being very powerful, this game worked with me and could possibly be the best game I ever played on the ps2.

11. Pokemon - Blue (Gameboy)

As mentioned already by JLM, very addictive and my personal fav game on the Gameboy.

12. Football Manager 2008 (PC)

Could have been any of the football managers really, but this version made me play it the longest which is why I went with 08, never played the early champ man's, but eitherway this deserves a mention.

13. The Chaos Engine (Amiga)

Another game I remember & loved back from the Amiga days, as already mentioned this deserves another remake.

14. Cannon Fodder (Amiga)

Like sensible soccer, but the war version!

15. Superfrog (Amiga)

There were a few games that were close to making the number 15 spot (Call Of Duty 4, Tetris, Speedball 2, Lemmings, Crash Bandicoot, LAPD on the ps1, smash court tennis), and any one of them could have joined at the tail end of this list, but Superfrog just edged it for adding a lot to my childhood and for helping me love games. I guess it deserved a mention and edged its way onto my list, close call though.

So yeah most of my games are not current or even recent, but they all played a part in my gaming experience & education.

Edited by wbzuk

Does anyone have a ROM of Mario All-stars? Not played them for years and this thread has got me in the mood for an old school mario session.

With Metal Gear Solid 2 I think people don't like that as much due to the Raiden character. I liked it but think it's the worst of the 4. (Not including the actual original Metal Gears as I've never played them)

• Paid Members
4. Track and Field - Arcade

10p could last you all afternoon - one reason I enjoyed going down to Torquay with my parents on a Sunday afternoon was the penny flipper and Track and Field. Once I managed to work out the angles on events such as the long jump and pole vault I became a demon at this. I recently bought a Nintendo DS so I could play Track and Field - I enjoyed it, but like most gaming machines I've owned in the last 15 years it's back in the cupboard after minimal use.

I absolutely adored this game but didn't vote for it because of one painful memory. I was once busy playing, totally engrossed and some kid walked over to give me tips. When he disappeared, so did the 5 pound coins I'd stupidly left on top of the machine.

1 zelda a link to the past

2. goldenye

3 legend of zelda ocorina of time

4 call of duty 4 modern warfare

5 mario 64

6 super mario kart (snes)

7 street fighter 2 snes version

8 Halo

9 tetris

10 pro evolution soccer 5

11 GTA vice city

12 secret of mana

13 dues EX

14 pilot wings

15 sensible soccer

NO GUNSTAR HEROES?!?!??? Are you all mad?

Anyways here's me list....

only commented the first 5 cios of time constraints

but no fucking Gunstar, un beleeeeeeeeeeeeeeivavble

Omg finally, finally done it.. but it will probably change after I have posted this Iam nly going to do comments for the top 5 cos iam not feeling so great

1. Streets of Rage 2- (Megadrive)

What can I say about this game, other than its the fucking best game, i have ever played. the soundtrack and the graphics are a thing of beauty and i keep going back to this game like a moth to light. Awesome.

2. Gunstar Heroes- (Megadrive)

Just kept off the top spot mainly cos i had to flip a coin to decide. A platformer, a run and gun, a shmup, a minigame fest.. all in one. it is epic of epicness... Immense playability lets you choose where you start and what weapons you want, is easily pick up and playable and shats over other games period.

3. Sensible World of Soccer (Pc/Amiga)

Okay there are footy games and then there is SWOS. you have the playability of sensi soccer.. extreme bendy passes and shots easy passing, great replays and an awesome commentary. then you have a management game that isnt bothered about fines, refs, training, or multiple stats. if you have the cash and want to buy a player you can.. so wanna take a top star to the Sanmarino league no problem. its a shame you can only have 20 seasons in management but what a game. pess on everyother soccer game i have ever played.

4. Champ Manager 2000-01 (PC)

The best of all the management only games out there. mixes tactics training, players intrigue excitement to the nth degree. spent probably literally years playing this, getting Llanelli to win the champs league is one of my crowning achievements of gaming period.

Its complex but not soe complex you spend hours making sure your star players are happy and can play at a relatively quick pace.

5. Global Defence Force (PS2)

Giant Aliens, RPG leveling up elements, great pick up and playability and lots and lots of shooting and death. amazing game. cheap and puts other games where lots of money has spent to shame.

6 Super Mario Kart (snes)

7. Sega Rally (saturn)

8. Herzog Zwei (megadrive)

9. Bishi Bashi Special (ps1)

10 Afterburner II (arcade)

11 Fire Pro Wrestling (GBA)

12 Point Blank (Arcade)

13 WWF Wrestlefest (arcade)

14 Mercs (Megadrive)

15 Outrun (arcade)

• Paid Members

For the record here be my top 15:

1. Super Mario 64

2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

3. Fallout 3

4. Resident Evil 4

5. Jak 2

6. The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess

7. Super Mario Galaxy

8. Goldeneye

9. WWF No Mercy 64

10. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

11. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

12. Gun

13. Call Of Duty: World At War

14. Super Mario World

15. Bioshock

• Paid Members
Skool Daze was one of the most annoying games I've ever played. It was as hard as HTBACB.

Bonus points if you know/remember HTBACB on the speccy.

"You see a computer. What do you want to do?

Smash it

Take it

Reset the computer"

"I'll go for the third one."

*Amstrad CPC wakeup prompt*

:angry:

Secondly, I'm not surprised Vib Ribbon didn't chart, but quite saddened Grim Fandango didn't make the 50.

Mine: (charts in bold)

1. Final Fantasy VII (PS/PC) - A game that's near perfect to grow up playing. Cute as buttons with a grown up story and some genuinely nasty surprises at points- the most famous of which needn't be spoiled, although like The Sixth Sense you'll probably have heard what it is before buying it. It definitely isn't one for a quick ten-minute/lunch-break bash player, but the time pays off and the further you get into it the better that time looks from behind. The solution to all of life's problems isn't alcohol, it's a twelve-foot sword.

2. Fallout 3 (PS3) - If this is what nuclear holocaust looks like, I'd better loot Age Concern for some vinyl. The going gets swift very fast, there's tones of atmos and side-plot, plus you can play it pretty much how you want to. Just don't make any plans for the next month or so.

3. Resident Evil 2 (PS) - Four entire games in one of awesome and difficult violence. New characters, better plot, less pony acting.

4. Grim Fandango (PC) - Death has never looked cheerier. Very charming, genuinely funny and not too hard.

5. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2) - The first had a few better songs, but the second is easier and more fun to play; Just hard enough to want you to practise and it doesn't make you want to smash the plastic guitar until Psychobilly Freakout. And while we're on the subject we're an entire seven games into the series and STILL. NO. STAIRWAY!!!!! ... even if it would be easier than most, it'd be nice to see ;)

6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) - The best of the series in my opinion. Not a great deal to do besides the main story, but enough to keep you prowling the streets to music you never listened to in school ;)

7. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS) - A game that needed a strong voice cast to get over, and got it in spades. The score's damn good too, and fighting is pretty tricky if you're not good at dodging/blocking. Pretty hard pretty quick, but the rewards for exploring the landscape are worth the trouble.

8. Doom II (PC) - The longer you can resist the temptation to save after every difficult skirmish, the better it gets. More music that sounds like it was ripped from your metal collection, better enemies and a last boss that will make you want to cry.

9. Final Fantasy VIII (PS) - The story's pretty good, although it starts to tail off late on but that isn't too important with a few neat subplots; It's pretty easy to get sidetracked and there's more side-stuff on offer than LEVELLING!!1111ONE. One of the better boss fights happens fairly early on under 'exam' conditions. Also the first in the series where you'd want to bone the entire female cast, if you're into.. um.. *whistles*

10. Manhunt (PS2) - GORRRRRRR... ahem. Controversy definitely helps, but once your character gets tooled up it kicks into overdrive. Quite funny in the nuthouse levels, which makes playing with a headset all the more hazardous.

11. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS) - Just when the games started getting too short (ONLY seven Arcade mode fights? how very dare you!) The PS version pulls a master-stroke with its World Tour mode. Training your character up into an unfair advantage has rarely been more fun (and scenic) since.

12. Vib Ribbon (PS) - Simple, twee game that lets you make levels with ANY. COMMERCIAL. CD. EVER. I recommend the South Park Movie OST and "La Resistance" for the sheer "AAAAAGH!" factor.

13. Super Metroid (SNES) - Bucketloads of atmosphere. The deeper you got into the game the more marauding it looked and sounded. Inventive levels and fights with a superb score. And the prize for finishing in under 3 hours? rawwwwwwr.

14. Super Mario World (SNES) - A definitive launch salvo for the 90s. Quite a lot of variety in gameplay, looks and music, and -for the first time- you needed to play the same level up to 3 times to truly discover the best the game had to offer.

15. Silent Hill (PS) - Survivor horror gone back to basics. You're limping around town at night with next to no ammo and all of a sudden your radio gets static. There aren't many scares more spontaneous.

Edited by sephjnr