The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping Mario Kart DS gets a mention, but it's unlikely. From someone who almost never plays video games, that thing got hours and hours out of me.

Cool to see Pokemon in there, people forget just how crazy it was back then when everyone was into it, Gold/Silver are the better games than Red/Blue though,

Has Wind Waker been yet? If not that must be in the top two. Gamecube was the last console I owned, I never completed the game (I rarely do) but I remember an amazing sense of freedom I've not found on any other.

• Awards Moderator

1. GoldenEye 007 (N64)

goldeneye0071.jpg

Metacritic score: 96

The critics say:

“Truly classic, late '90s college dorm room staple, and Rare's finest moment.”

-EGM

“A Nintendo 64 without Goldeneye is like James Bond without a vodka martini.”

-TotalGames.net

“We can say with a clear conscience that Goldeneye 007 is the best single-player first-person game on any system.”

-IGN

Goldeneye_Facility006.jpg

UKFFers say:

“Probably the mother of all multiplayer games. The multiplayer mode in this was executed so perfectly that I don’t even think online gaming will ever be able to surpass its unique charm. Even its quasi-sequel, Perfect Dark, failed in creating such a joyous experience considering it had superior graphics/more weapons etc.”

“Absoultely fantastic game me and my friends spent many hours playing on multi-player, who needs Xbox Live.”

“Not for the multiplayer, but because I was Bond. It had me from the moment I got to shoot the guard on the shitter with my silenced PP7.”

“not too keen on single player but multiplayer is the most fun I've ever had playing a 2 player computer game. Never got boring.”

“When I think N64 I think Goldeneye. Fun, fun, fun, fun, and fun. Proximity mines in multiplayer FTW.”

“Get 3 mates round anytime in the late 90s, plug this in and fun is guaranteed. Need I say more? Well, if so, I'll remind you that one-player mode wasn't exactly terrible either. Looks a bit polygonal, even glitchy, these days, but nothing can take away the memories.”

“Probably the ONLY first person shooter I've ever enjoyed.”

“the greatest movie tie in ever made it’s difficulty effecting the objectives is awesome and I don’t know why it hasn’t been widely copied all people seem to do now is turn the enemies into bullet sponges”

“This game alone made me purchase the N64!”

“The perfect FPS. Still have amazing memories of 4 player matches.”

“Best multiplayer ever, will probably win this vote by virtue of it still being ace, even today.”

“I was writing this thinking I won’t be clich

Edited by Black2

• Paid Members

Well that's a total let-down. I can't beleive stuff like Megaman 2 and Wind Waker was behind stuff like Champ man, pro evo and Smackdown :/. Goldeneye doesn't deserve number one at all, about a million better FPS have came out since, even Vice City was better than it. It had 4 GTA games in it :/. What a let down.

EDIT: I didn't vote for any of that series either.

Here's mine:

1. Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker (gamecube)

Stunning game, the cel shaded graphics are the best thing that's happened to the zelda series if you ask me, though lots of people complained about it. Visually probably the best looking game on the Gamecube. The entire thing is exiciting, fun, adventurous and full of brilliant characters and an even better soundtrack. Tingle is in it too, that guy is "da bomb". Collecting all the triforce bits was a bit rubbish, but the black and white to colour part in the sunken Hyrule Castle makes up for everything.

2. Sonic the hedgehog 3 & knuckles (megadrive)

I'm not sure how many people may have voted for just one or the other, but my suggestion is you count them both as the one game because that's how they were meant to be played and how most Sonic fans will play them. My favourite sonic game. Has the best levels, the best soundtrack, the best story and the best gameplay. Sky Sanctuary Zone is the greatest level ever and the final boss battle is my favourite final boss battle ever. I love this game.

3. Donkey Kong Country 2 (snes)

Fantastic game. Everything about it rocks, from the story to the graphics, the music, the gameplay. Everything. Best game on the Snes by far.

4. Team Fortress 2/The orange box (xbox 360)

My personal vote is for Team Fortress 2 but i'm not sure if you'd count it as it's own game as it's part of The Orange Box. Best multiplayer game on the xbox, no matter what the SFIV and Halo3 people say. Brilliantly well-balanced and fun. Character variety that works perfectly and 2fort is exceedingly awesome for a team game. Can still play this for hours on end.

5. Megaman 2 (NES)

Best NES game ever. Fact. Brilliant music, brilliant bosses, brilliant levels, brilliant weapons, brilliant everything. Just none-stop awesomeness and it still remains Megaman's best outing yet. Shame Protoman isn't in this one though, i'm a mark for Protoman.

6. Shadow of the Beast (Amiga)

Difficult game, really really difficult. The game whilst not having the best gameplay ever, has beautiful graphics for it's time, brilliant looking levels and top music. Probably the Amiga's finest moment but didn't really port well to the other consoles.

7. Sonic the hedgehog 2 (Megadrive)

The first sonic game I had and the first one I completed properly. Spent hours as a kid playing this and I still think Tails is shit. At least he never had a sword or turned into a wolf though. Immortal ending.

8. Super mario world (SNES)

My favourite old school mario game. The inclusion of the annoying Yoshi works in this game, despite me hating his stupid face. The entire game is just awesome, full of good secrets that are fun to find, well made levels and fun items. Finding and completing Star Road is still one of my finest moments.

9. Super Mario 64 (nintendo 64)

Best 3D Mario game. I enjoyed Sunshine and Galaxy but this one still tops them. Not much to say about it really, it's just an amazing platformer that still stands the test of time. It's Mario, what else to say?

10. Banjo Kazooie (n64)

Excellent platformer which I sadly didn't discover till it's xbox live arcade release. Completed it 100% though which took some doing. Funny dialogue, well balanced and fun levels and most importantly really enjoyable and easy to learn gameplay.

11. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

Crash's best outing that doesn't involve Karts. A really good platformer and probably my favourite on the PS1. Music was composed by Mark Mothersbaugh too, which always equals awesome. Not as funny as Twinsanity or anything at this point though, which is a shame.

12. Resident evil (ps1)

Not the best Resident evil game, as 4 probably takes that, but this is definately the scariest. Back when Resident evil was fighting actual zombies and not africans on motorbikes. The opening cutscene is brilliantly cheesy and Barry Burton kills it with his dialogue. "YOU WERE ALMOST A JILL SANDWICH" ~

13. Rayman (ps1)

Beautiful game, if not really hard when you get into it. Rayman's best outing that doesn't involve rabbids. The soundtrack is awesome, the levels look gorgeous and his "YEAHHH" at the end of each level is cool as fuck.

14. Mario Kart Wii

fun game, really fun. Good tracks, good online, good controls and gameplay. That's all you need for a racing game.

15. Medievil (ps1)

my favourite PS1 game. Really funny little action adventure game with an awesome, unique story and well designed puzzles and levels.

Edited by AliveAndAmplified

• Awards Moderator
Well that's a total let-down. I can't beleive stuff like Megaman 2 and Wind Waker was behind stuff like Champ man, pro evo and Smackdown :/.

To be fair, Mega Man is shit :p

Goldeneye doesn't deserve number one at all, about a million better FPS have came out since, even Vice City was better than it. It had 4 GTA games in it :/. What a let down.

I agree, the top is a little disappointing and predictable, but you can't beat nostalgia. While today's gaming generation is of a certain age games from that sort of time will always reign supreme, hence the love for Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, FFVII. It was unsurmountable though, GoldenEye hit #1 very early on and never got troubled by anything. 6 people voted it their #1, and was mentioned 18 times overall.

Other than #1, I'm quite pleased with some of the quirky ones creeping on to the list. Thanks to everyone who took the time to send their votes to me, and especially those that wrote impassioned pleas. There's over 30,000 words of the stuff! Some of them are so good I'm going to post a few of them later on. More stats to follow too.

Edited by Black2

My list

1. Rome: Total War (PC) - Incredible gameplay, not tos great graphics but great fun to play

2 . Pokemon Blue (Gameboy - Legendary great fun, fuck all the other hundreds of pokemon, 150 wheres it as

3. Yager - Broke but before I completed, I was gutted was so so so so so so much fun

4. Ocarina of Time (N64) - Cos its awsum !!!!111!!!!!!!1

5. Twilight Princess (Wii) - As above

6. Snake 2 (Mobile) - Simple but fun and going through walls

7. Golden Axe (SNES or summat) - Bash Bash Whack Whack Die Die

8. California Games (Master System) - I sucked at this but it was a fun game to play still

9. Pokemon Gold (Gameboy) - OK I'll let you have a few others as long as it doesn't go overboard

10. Super Smash Bros (N64) - A button smashing game where you didn't have to button smash

11. F Zero X (N64) - Great racing game, great set of cars, great death race

12. Guitar Hero 3 (Wii) - Awesome soundtrack and great game play

13. Runescape (PC) - Spent hours playing this, very addictive and time consuming

14. Tetris (PC) - Timeless Classic

15. The World is Not Enough (N64) - Essentially Goldeneye but with better graphics weapons and multiplayer

I hate First Person Shooter's. I have never owned one, and never will. I am at a loss to why one group of mates I know spend their weekends holed up in a house getting stoned and playing Call of Duty online. I hated it when I had a go.

I can't beleive stuff like Megaman 2 and Wind Waker was behind stuff like Champ man, pro evo

In terms of time played, I bet stuff like Champ Man and Pro Evo shits all over most of the other stuff. Absolute replay value.

Edit: My list..............

1. Championship Manager 2001/2002 (PC)

2. Super Mario World (Snes)

3. Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC)

4. The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)

5. Mario Kart DS (DS)

6. Crazy Taxi (GC)

7. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2)

8. Street Racer (Snes)

9. Burnout (GC)

10. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (GBA)

11. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)

12. WWF No Mercy (N64)

13. Super Monkey Ball (GC)

14. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)

15. Mario Tennis (GBC)

Edited by anarchistxx

Glad to see my number 1 finished at the top although I had no doubt it would, 9 of my 15 picks made the top 50 which was quite good. Heres my rundown -

1. Goldeneye ( N64 ) - Absoultely fantastic game me and my friends spent many hours playing on multi-player, who needs Xbox Live.

2. Resident Evil 4 ( PS2 ) - The best in the series and my favourite PS2 game ever made.

3. Donkey Kong Country 2 ( SNES ) - My favourite platform game series, hard to pick which 1 I liked most but this just pipped it.

4. Super Mario Allstars ( SNES ) - All of the excellent Mario games bundled together what more could you ask for.

5. Mario Kart ( N64 ) - Like Goldeneye hours of my teenage life was spent of the multiplayer, fantastic.

6. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 ( Megadrive ) - Childhood classic what I still go back to.

7. Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time ( PS2 ) - Simply stunning game, all 3 were excellent but thsi one gets the vote for starting the excellent reimagining of the franchise.

8. Metal Gear Solid 3 ( PS2 ) - A joy to play through apart from the dodgy cut scenes and awkward camera at times, only one the series I've actually stuck with till the end.

9. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas ( PS2 ) - Was a toss up between this and Vice City but this won just for the sheer fun you could have with it.

10. World Cup 1998 (N64 ) - My favourite football game of all time, right up there with I.S.S

11. WCW/NWO Revenge ( N64 ) - Ahh the good old days of wrestling games, I loved this.

12. Sunset Riders ( SNES ) - The best western game ever made.

13. Super Mario 64 ( N64 ) - This blew me away at the time, Mario in 3-D who would of guessed it back in the 80's.

14. Bioshock ( Xbox 360 ) - The only recent game to make my list and it sucked me in right from the start with the story and atmosphere.

15. Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time ( N64 ) - Blew me away at the time, only RPG I've ever played.

• Paid Members
I hate First Person Shooter's. I have never owned one, and never will. I am at a loss to why one group of mates I know spend their weekends holed up in a house getting stoned and playing Call of Duty online. I hated it when I had a go.

I can't beleive stuff like Megaman 2 and Wind Waker was behind stuff like Champ man, pro evo

In terms of time played, I bet stuff like Champ Man and Pro Evo shits all over most of the other stuff. Absolute replay value.

Replay perhaps, but originality definately not. You can argue about replay value because to people who don't like the game then there's none at all, and people could get bored of it and some might not. But in terms of being original, not very. A new pro evo comes out every year with very little new to offer, and even though the champ man games change a bit more, they're still just about the same game in a different package.

Thanks for taking the time and doing the list. The winner isn't really a suprise but whatever had won this would have caused debate. Here was my top 15:

1. Streets of Rage 2 (MD)

2. Street Fighter 2

3. Resident Evil 4

4. Goldeneye (N64)

5. Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)

6. WCW Revenge (N64)

7. Championship Manager 97/98 (PC)

8. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

9. Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS)

10. PES 5 (PS2)

11. New Super Mario Bros (DS)

12. Final Fantasy 7 (PS)

13. UFC Unleashed

14. Wii Sports (Wii)

15. Die Hard Arcade (Saturn)

And had quotes for: Streets of Rage 2, Resident Evil 4, Goldeneye, Sonic, WCW Revenge, Mario Kart 64, Metal Gear Solid, PES 5 and Final Fantasy 7

• Awards Moderator

...much like wrestling games on this forum, I suspect there's a lot of people pouring time into football games because they lurve football and want to play games about it. Therefore they will attract a lot of votes purely by being about football. The actual quality of the title is almost irrelevant.

• Paid Members
What, no Windows Solitaire?

I prefer Pinball.

I think the main problem with such a poll was the lack of arcade games on it. Games like Robocop, Smash TV and Parasol Stars would have made my list but I guess they will miss out because few of us are rich enough buggers to have them in our homes.