The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

On-the-fly thoughts --

If I tried explaining why Donkey Kong Country is the most overrated series ever I'd just get bored.

Can't believe I forgot to nominate Lemmings.

Nice to see S3K made the list - 2D perfection. Surprised Sonic 1 (and I'd imagine 2) received more nominations, though.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, Broken Sword... *approves*

Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 have both aged horrendously.

SMW twenty places above SMB3? Fuck. Right. Off.

Splendid work, anyhow. Look forward to the top ten.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I strongly disagree. I played Mario 64 through again only a few months ago and the game still holds up perfectly. The graphics in comparison today maybe be simple but in terms of what you need to play they are perfect and still quite charming. So what if every wall and piece of grass isn't perfectly detailed? And the actual gameplay itself is still fucking amazing and hella' fun to play. I'm struggling to think of a single platformer since that is anywhere near as good (bar Super Mario Galaxy). If you can think of a single player platformer/adventure experience as fun, challenging and intelligent as this that has been released since then I'd love to hear it.

• Paid Members
On-the-fly thoughts --

If I tried explaining why Donkey Kong Country is the most overrated series ever I'd just get bored.

I'd actually like you to, it'd spark some discussion and you'd probably be wrong.

Nice to see S3K made the list - 2D perfection. Surprised Sonic 1 (and I'd imagine 2) received more nominations, though.

This also surprises me :( S3&K is 2D perfection.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, Broken Sword... *approves*

I don't, they were good but they aren't anywhere near as good as Mario/Sonic/Zelda, etc and if it weren't for stuff like Pro Evo they'd look out of place.

Mario Kart 64 has, but that's because it's just a kart game and plenty more better Kart games have came out since then, even Crash Team Racing (I know you'll all disagree). But Mario 64 still holds up awesomely, because it was unique. A re-release on the DS didn't do it any harm either.

SMW twenty places above SMB3? Fuck. Right. Off.

I agree with the list on this one. SMW was light years ahead in terms of fun, creativity, game design, gameplay, graphics, and other stuff too. I also found the difficulty curve in SMB3 horrendous. I never got past worlds 6 or 7 without the flute.

Edited by AliveAndAmplified

od it, heres the awesome end music from sonic 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=...p;v=zTcGIk-Pfnk

and a weird worded version!:

erm, the S2 ending theme is based from that song, not the other way around.

Did I say it was?

It hardly matters given the song was written for the Sonic 2 soundtrack anyway. I'd just never heard it before.

Edited by KFR42

Iam thinking that a good comparison peice to this would be to drudge up the Computer Game Music thread up.. cos I cant find it....

Anyways as Iam pretty certain this wont have made top ten

Herzog Zwei- There is no time to lose (rearranged)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLDaPUJsPM

Herzog Zwei- Medley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2TUDR3RcVA...feature=related

Thought Id chuck in a SF2 Medley by Insert Coin

And a few bits of Mercs, seen as they are now on you tube

Mercs - Arcade Level 1 Megadrive

Mercs- Arcade Level 6 Megadrive

Edited by patdfb

• Paid Members
I had a horrible dream last night that Sonic 2 comes second and Final Fantasy VII comes first. How sad am I :/

I would cry if FF7 won. It's overrated, and trash. D:

Surprised so many thought I was accusing Mario 64 of aging badly based on its visuals. That'd have been horribly unfair on my part, no?

Nah, I was talking gameplay-wise. 90% of missions are dull collect-a-thons; level design is in places very, very bland; bosses are pathetic; and it's generally just difficult to return to after experiencing sublime Galaxy. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game a lot - primarily for nostalgia and its indeniable charms - but the whole thing feels ever-increasingly like an extended tech demo. The PS1 platformers may have been nowhere near as innovative or daring, but they hold up far better in retrospect.

If you can think of a single player platformer/adventure experience as fun, challenging and intelligent as this that has been released since then I'd love to hear it.

I'd say Psychonauts, but comparing it to Mario 64 really, really fails to do Psychonauts justice.

Edited by Mr. Baxter

• Paid Members

I still give Super Mario world and Mario 64 a whirl from time to time and still find them as excellent as they always were.

I am sad to see GTA:SA place so high and above two other GTA games which were just so much more fun to play personally. Hell id go as far as to say i got more fun from GTA1,

Never really got into the Zelda games, i can see why others would enjoy them though

Surprised so many thought I was accusing Mario 64 of aging badly based on its visuals. That'd have been horribly unfair on my part, no?

Nah, I was talking gameplay-wise. 90% of missions are dull collect-a-thons; level design is in places very, very bland; bosses are pathetic; and it's generally just difficult to return to after experiencing sublime Galaxy. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game a lot - primarily for nostalgia and its indeniable charms - but the whole thing feels ever-increasingly like an extended tech demo. The PS1 platformers may have been nowhere near as innovative or daring, but they hold up far better in retrospect.

While I agree, I have to say that Mario 64 was a huge leap from the previous mario games, whereas Sunshine and Galaxy were relatively tiny leaps especially given how long we have waited between Mario games. I'm not knocking the newer Mario games, Galaxy was brilliant, but given how many years after Mario 64 it was its not much different in appearance bar a bit of smoothing off.

90% of missions are dull collect-a-thons

Whether they're dull or not is subjective, but I'm sad enough to calculate that only 32% of the game's stars are acquired through collect-a-thons (8 red coins or 100 gold coins). Personally, a mission that requires exploring the level and clamoring for hard-to-reach places is no bad thing in a platform adventure.