The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

Great, another game and quote from me (S3&K). Surprised it's so far down though as it's infinitely better than the awful GTA4,

Sonic and knuckles was great, no complaint there, but how anyone can say GTAIV was awful is utterly beyond me. It wasn't as amazing as it should have been and it had annoyances like being called to go play pool every half hour, but it was still a brilliantly playable game with a great story.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I absolutely love GTA4, it didnt make my list though as I only wanted to put 1 of the GTA series in which ended up going to San Andreas as I had the most fun playing on that overall. The latest batch of games only has 1 what I picked ( Mario Kart64 ) and I absolutely loved that game, the amount of hours I spent on multiplayer back in the day was only rivalled by Goldeneye.

• Moderators

I picked another GTA game because I only wanted to have one any given series in my list, but I don't get the GTA4 hate at all. The anticipation was so ridiculous before it came out, there was no way anything could have lived up to that hype, but for me, all of the small negative aspects were more than balanced out by the incredible multiplayer, which made up the majority of my playtime. It's just so varied, and the Damned expansion added even more online modes that were too fun to stop playing. I never even finished the story mode because I got so bogged down with multiplayer.

Yay SWOS gets a mention, suprised its so low down, but hey what can you do.. with all these oether soccer games out there, its often overlooked. the shame, abnd i got me quote in as well .. woo and indeed hoo

Super Mario Kart 64? oh jeez Bowsers Stadium was okay i guess,. The Original SMK rules though.

And before you go on a bout me not getting Mario, its the platforming versions I dont get.

Balls... I just thought of something that if ive not put in me top 15 i will cry. I didnt SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

It was Super Monkey Ball.

Swos was 3rd on me list so not holding out much hope for any oother games being mentioned other than me top two :(

Edited by patdfb

:yinyang: The only thing that really annoyed me about GTAIV were the driving controls.

Yeah the driving wasn't amazing. GTAIV didn't make my list either as I had other GTA games there. Although it also didn't make my list I have to make an honorable mention to GTA: Vice city stories which featured the greatest mission in any videogame ever. Nothing compares with killing assasins to stop them getting to Phil Collins while he's singing 'in the air tonight' on stage.

Now we're talking. A few of my picks have surfaced now, each accompanied by quotage: S3K, MK64, GTA IV. Of course this inevitably means there'll be some duds in the top fifteen, but such is life. I'm also in approval of Sonic 1 and GTA III making appearances.

I'm undecided whether to give Oblivion another chance. I bought it ages ago, but only had one go before getting fed up. I couldn't be bothered flailing a clunky sword around a dark, narrow sewer while giant rats leapt up at me, before the game had even really got started. More recently I've been playing Fallout 3, which I've enjoyed to an extent but the combat elements that it has in common with Oblivion still don't engage me. However, Oblivion does look beautiful in the outer world and I'm sure it has more going for it than relentless rodent mobs and a satchel full of skeleton bones.

In fact, there were many humorous songs on the in-vehicle radios then too.

"The menfolk found their women scary, 'cause they were so big and hairy..." :music:

The driving in GTA IV was fine. You either got it or you didn't, I did and enjoyed it immensely.

“Although I found Mario Kart 64 to be eminently playable, I just couldn't shake the feeling that it was a knock off of the first game.”

-Electric Playground

Hang on a minute, what were they actually expecting? It was Mario Kart, in 3D. There wasn't really a lot they could do to the gameplay, without overcomplicating or oversimplifying the experience. What did they want to see that wasn't there, and would it really have made for a better game?

Edited by Just Me

• Awards Moderator
First I regretted not going for S3&K because I didn't know if it would count as one game, then I saw Sonic 1 was higher and despaired. No accounting for taste. The second screenshot is from the vastly... heck, infinitely superior Sonic 2 anyway.

I'm pretty certain it's not. That baddie type didn't appear in Sonic 2. (The one where Knuckles is on screen on his own yeah?)

I also take issue with the idea that Sonic 3's soundtrack wasn't up to scratch. The boss music wasn't as epic as 2's and yeah, no single level was audibly quite up to some of the stuff from the first 2 games, but it was still more than all right. Flying Battery Zone still sounds awesome.

Mega Drive went through a strange period here that it never recovered from; cart sizes increased but music playback quality decreased, and I never figured out why. The most striking example of this was Streets of Rage 2 to 3 I think.

“I cannot stress too much the graphical excellence of this game – it is definitely the best looking Megadrive game yet seen, even more attractive than the Super Famicom’s Mario 4! The speed of the game is incredible and when Sonic gets the supa-speed trainers, boy does he shift!”

-Mean Machines

“In 1991, Sega made everyone rethink their concept of a side-scrolling platform game. That's the year the company published Sonic the Hedgehog for its Sega Genesis console. Nintendo's Mario games typically focused on gradual progress through a level and cautious jumping, but Sonic emphasized blazing speed. While Mario was relatively slow, Sonic could run like the wind.”

-GameSpot

Mario 4, lulz.

Why the lulz?

More importantly, the GameSpot review is plain wrong, unless it's referring purely to the marketing.

I think the problem was that when you think back to Sonic, the first thing you think of is speed. Particularly the exhilaration of the Green Hill zones, where you can just fly through them with a couple of well-timed jumps. It's true there are quite a few levels later on that are much slower though, and good that they are, for the change of pace.

“Seemed to come out of nowhere to take over the world. Great fun just driving around listening to Lazlow on the radio.”

I hope whoever said that is a lot younger than I am. Rockstar didn't make a brand new format and slap a 'III' on it for shits and giggles. The original 2 may have been top-down and the first even had a fart button, but they still had a lot to offer.

Definitely, but I can remember loving the first one to death, not being bothered about 2 but feeling like the game was meant to be played in 3D when I first played III.

Yeah I absolutely love GTA4, it didnt make my list though as I only wanted to put 1 of the GTA series in

One person's list consisted almost entirely of GTA games.

Some of you are (rightfully) jeering at the unsurprising variety of some of these, but pleasingly there are a few curveballs to come. Also the publication of 100 - 50 will allow you to see how many really interesting titles just missed it. The game that both DJ Stevie C and I put at #1 just missed out on a spot, which I am very grumpy about as it never gets mentioned in these lists. But our votes were strong enough to almost keep it in the chart.

I'm going to be busy this evening, so have five more til a lot later on:

Edited by Black2

First I regretted not going for S3&K because I didn't know if it would count as one game, then I saw Sonic 1 was higher and despaired. No accounting for taste. The second screenshot is from the vastly... heck, infinitely superior Sonic 2 anyway.

I'm pretty certain it's not. That baddie type didn't appear in Sonic 2. (The one where Knuckles is on screen on his own yeah?)

No, he's right. The second screen shot under sonic 1 is actually from sonic 2. The ground pattern gives it away as being emerald hill rather than green hill. Sonic 2 was great (and the ending music is possibly my favourite game music of all time) , but Sonic 1 started it all for me so thats why I voted for 1 over 2.

Ah sod it, heres the awesome end music from sonic 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=...p;v=zTcGIk-Pfnk

and a weird worded version!: