The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FF7, yawn. Not in my 15, but seeing it only just sneak the top 10 isn't too bad. A good story and amazing graphics for the time, but so very, very long. As far as turn-based RPGs go, I prefer Suikoden.

Didn't go for Tetris either in the end, but there's no denying its addictive simplicity and greatness. A pleasant surprise to find it this high. UKFFers may be more discerning than we give ourselves credit for.

Sonic 2 almost certainly the highest-charting Sonic game after all, get in! The split-screen 2-player mode slipped my mind completely, but it just adds to the perfection.

MGS spawned a generation who probably don't realise there was an original Metal Gear game before it. My ex-stepbrother swears by the sequels, and although they might look and play better objectively, for me they get too bogged down in story rather than action as Kojima became far too fond of cutscenes. Again not one of my 15, but the original rightly got the nod from enough of the rest of you based on memories and how it took the series forward. That Psycho Mantis battle is epic, particularly in the opening convo when he reads your memory card and mentions any other Konami games on there. Eerie the first time round. Stealth~.

No Mercy, predictable but bland. Just a standard update of WWF Wrestlemania 2000, which really wasn't all that. Didn't have as much fun with it as with later PS2 editions, but if so many other people's experiences differed, fair enough.

As for the top 5, I still think Vice City will be in there somewhere, but I'm getting slightly worried by the lack of any Mega Man so far. Oh yeah and as mentioned above, GoldenEye should be there too.

Still hoping for another final fantasy title (X), Diablo 2 and wishfull thinking says settlers 2.

Who knows? I'm a little shocked by all of the football game entries, but w/e. The wrestling games i expected but don't really agree with.

Mostly, the list so far to me, has seemed good, even if not all to my taste.

• Paid Members
Also I am very glad to see GTA:SA in here. Easily my favorite GTA. I love films like Boyz N The Hood and couldn't care less about films like Scarface so I really connected with and enjoyed the storyline and characters. The world is just huge though. For me there was nothing better than cruising through the countryside in a lowrider with "Today was a good day" by Ice Cube on the radio or being chased by the police through the desert while blaring "Freebird". Just an amazing experience.

Completely agreed. Initially I was really daunted by San Andreas because everything in Vice City and GTA3 had been so compact and you could reach everything pretty quickly. Now here was a game where it could take you about 10 minutes to get from one place to the next! But after a while I grew to really love that part of the game and I loved the countryside and desert parts of it. Sure, it had its flaws - the needing the gym stuff could be pretty shitty if you're stuck in bloody Whetstone or something, but I loved it every much as Vice City but for different reasons. It's just a shame that it's probably too big to be able to spawn a San Andreas Stories.

As for Mario 64 ageing, I don't think it has at all taken on its own merits rather than comparing it with the obviously advanced likes of Galaxy and Sunshine. I think it's got one of the very best learning and difficulty curves I've ever seen on a game as well.

Edited by Setting Sun

I endorse the inclusions of Tetris, Sonic 2 and No Mercy, if not their actual rank.

“This is the only Sega game on here, and in fact 11 of the top 14 are for Nintendo consoles, but nevertheless this stands tall above all others.

Is this your quote then, Black2? Seems to betray some inside information~!

Note that I'm talking about the Mega Drive versions of these at all times, because as Just Me pointed out, they're VERY distinct from Game Gear and Master System editions. Those are decent enough 8-bit platformers, but hardly classics.

Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Triple Trouble, granted. But don't you be dissing my Sonic 1 on the Master System. You'll be sneering on the other side of your 16-bit fanboy face when it comes in at #1. :sneaky:

That Psycho Mantis battle is epic, particularly in the opening convo when he reads your memory card and mentions any other Konami games on there. Eerie the first time round.

That sounds amazing.

Edited by Just Me

(Sonic 2): Classic platformer. I loved the first one also.. but this a) introduced the two player aspect, and b) introduced the ability to rev up a spin from standing instead of having to rely on your momentum all the time like in the first game

Sonic CD anyone?

Edited by MRMIdAS

• Paid Members
(Sonic 2): Classic platformer. I loved the first one also.. but this a) introduced the two player aspect, and b) introduced the ability to rev up a spin from standing instead of having to rely on your momentum all the time like in the first game

Sonic CD anyone?

it came out after Sonic 2 did it not??

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, or simply Sonic 2, is a platform game developed by American studio Sega Technical Institute in collaboration with Sonic Team, and published by Sega for the Mega Drive/Genesis. It was released in Japan on November 21, 1992 and in North America and Europe three days later on November 24, 1992

Sonic the Hedgehog CD (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグCD, Sonikku za Hejjihoggu Shīdī?), or simply Sonic CD, is a platform game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It marked the first official appearance of both Metal Sonic and Amy Rose. It was released for the Sega Mega-CD in Japan on September 23, 1993, in Europe in October 1993, and finally for the Sega CD in North America on November 19, 1993. The game was ported to PC CD-ROM in 1996.

Contents

Note that I'm talking about the Mega Drive versions of these at all times, because as Just Me pointed out, they're VERY distinct from Game Gear and Master System editions. Those are decent enough 8-bit platformers, but hardly classics.

Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Triple Trouble, granted. But don't you be dissing my Sonic 1 on the Master System. You'll be sneering on the other side of your 16-bit fanboy face when it comes in at #1. :sneaky:

Fantastic game that I frequently enthuse about. Jungle Zone, innit.

Also, yeah, pleased to see Sonic 2 make the cut. Less so to see it rank twenty places above S3K, which is infinitely superior.

Re: Sonic CD -- It was initially conceived as an enhanced port of Sonic 2 - with the Mega Drive, Master System/Game Gear and Mega CD versions all at one point intended to be the same game - but ultimately released as seperate product, almost a full year later, after developing into a different (and much better) variety of game altogether. Hence the Sonic 1 sprites, super peel out, gimped spin-dash etc. etc.

Edited by Mr. Baxter