The Official UKFF Top 50 Games List

Onyx2

First I regretted not going for S3&K because I didn't know if it would count as one game, then I saw Sonic 1 was higher and despaired. No accounting for taste. The second screenshot is from the vastly... heck, infinitely superior Sonic 2 anyway.

I'm pretty certain it's not. That baddie type didn't appear in Sonic 2. (The one where Knuckles is on screen on his own yeah?)

Wait, you thought I was calling Sonic 2 infinitely superior to S3&K?!? You must think I'm mad. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but as someone else pointed out since, the end-of-Act screenshot clearly reeks of a Hill of the more specific Emerald kind, rather than the broader Green.

I also take issue with the idea that Sonic 3's soundtrack wasn't up to scratch. The boss music wasn't as epic as 2's and yeah, no single level was audibly quite up to some of the stuff from the first 2 games, but it was still more than all right. Flying Battery Zone still sounds awesome.

Mega Drive went through a strange period here that it never recovered from; cart sizes increased but music playback quality decreased, and I never figured out why. The most striking example of this was Streets of Rage 2 to 3 I think.

Fair point. I'll concede Sonic 1's soundtrack may have been better, but only because of an inexplicable overall decline in music quality throughout the Mega Drive's life. It was still blown out of the water and rendered virtually unplayable by its sequel in November 1992.

Since there's also a discussion on the Sonic 2 ending, search for the 3D version on YouTube if you haven't seen it yet.

Mario 4, lulz.

Why the lulz?

I don't think I've heard SMW world referred to as Mario 4 or SMB4 for about 15 years, and I'd never read it as 'Mario IV' (with the Roman numeral) until now. It just seems strange these days. I mean, you wouldn't dream of referring to SMG2 as Mario 9, would you?

Anyway, of the most recent ten entries, there's only one I've never been into, and unsurprisingly it's also the most recent. I can still see why some people like Fallout 3 though, it was a lot of games journalists' favourite of last year and my cousin couldn't stop playing it last Christmas.

About time we got a management sim on here. It was always going to be CM or FM, and even though I couldn't narrow it down to one particular year, reading the entry it looks like 01/02 was the season to go for. Not so sold on Here Comes the Pain as the pinnacle of the WWE-licensed games though, as great as the create a character mode was, but maybe another one has managed to make it into the top 10.

Looking at the SF2 screenshots, it made me regret going for a later iteration since I forgot all about the bonus games from the earlier ones. They were still in Turbo though, weren't they? I should probably have picked that, for the change colours and ability to play as the bosses. SF2 deserves its place anyway for how revolutionary it was, and as is often forgotten, for being a huge step up on its predecessor.

On the RPG front, delighted to see the original Broken Sword in there and to find Zelda 3 above Ocarina of Shite. When your biggest criticism of the point-and-click classic is the box art, there can't be too bad a game in there. Might have to check out that obscure recommendation in Black2's write-up, mind.

I wouldn't rank San Andreas higher than GTA 3 or 4. The cities are fine, but the wilderness is boring and the only way to get around it quickly is via a plane that's impossible to control, with obstacles that don't appear in the distance rapidly enough to give you a fair chance to react. With any luck Vice City's made the top 10.

SMW stands up better than SM64 so it makes sense for it to be marginally more favoured, but like some of you, I don't know what they're doing so much higher than SMB3 either.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator
Mario 4, lulz.

Why the lulz?

I don't think I've heard SMW world referred to as Mario 4 or SMB4 for about 15 years, and I'd never read it as 'Mario IV' (with the Roman numeral) until now. It just seems strange these days. I mean, you wouldn't dream of referring to SMG2 as Mario 9, would you?

No, but the Japanese release was called "Super Mario IV". I was swept up in the C+VG hype who imported and reviewed it immediately. They were using the Jap name so it stuck for me - I use SMW and SMIV interchangeably.

Looking at the SF2 screenshots, it made me regret going for a later iteration since I forgot all about the bonus games from the earlier ones. They were still in Turbo though, weren't they?

I thought I'd throw the bonus level in there deliberately as an old memory. Barrels, walls, cars, nothing stops a Street Fighter.

On the RPG front, delighted to see the original Broken Sword in there and to find Zelda 3 above Ocarina of Shite. When your biggest criticism of the point-and-click classic is the box art, there can't be too bad a game in there.

Not a slam on the game directly, it's pretty horrific though right?! Do check out Gabriel Knight though. Start here.

SMW stands up better than SM64 so it makes sense for it to be marginally more favoured, but like some of you, I don't know what they're doing so much higher than SMB3 either.

I think SMW (SMIV, apples, apples) is the best blend of everything in the Mario series.

• Paid Members

Also I am very glad to see GTA:SA in here. Easily my favorite GTA. I love films like Boyz N The Hood and couldn't care less about films like Scarface so I really connected with and enjoyed the storyline and characters. The world is just huge though. For me there was nothing better than cruising through the countryside in a lowrider with "Today was a good day" by Ice Cube on the radio or being chased by the police through the desert while blaring "Freebird". Just an amazing experience.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator
Quoted comments and reviews

Just to point out, every comment I received for a game that I could retrieve has been posted. No matter how good or bad they are. I'm tempted to post some best ofs afterwards for those that wouldn't otherwise get an airing.

With reviews, by and large I look for one quite gushing one, and another - either provocative, funny or detailed.

Also I am very glad to see GTA:SA in here. Easily my favorite GTA. I love films like Boyz N The Hood and couldn't care less about films like Scarface so I really connected with and enjoyed the storyline and characters. The world is just huge though. For me there was nothing better than cruising through the countryside in a lowrider with "Today was a good day" by Ice Cube on the radio or being chased by the police through the desert while blaring "Freebird". Just an amazing experience.

Deffinately I loved cruising around the countryside on a motorbike was just alot of fun, I've been saying for a while an online version of San Andreas would be amazing.

Since there's also a discussion on the Sonic 2 ending, search for the 3D version on YouTube if you haven't seen it yet.

That's pretty interesting. Here's a link for anyone too lazy to search - jump to 0:38 to skip the self indulgent Dragon Ball Z intro.

Not so sold on Here Comes the Pain as the pinnacle of the WWE-licensed games though, as great as the create a character mode was, but maybe another one has managed to make it into the top 10.

I'll be very surprised if No Mercy doesn't show its Kryten-like face, not that I voted for it myself.

I've been saying for a while an online version of San Andreas would be amazing.

There's an online mod for the PC version, I believe.

• Awards Moderator
Not so sold on Here Comes the Pain as the pinnacle of the WWE-licensed games though, as great as the create a character mode was, but maybe another one has managed to make it into the top 10.

I'll be very surprised if No Mercy doesn't show its Kryten-like face, not that I voted for it myself.

V. good.

Top 5 to follow in the very near future! What do you think is left to be in the top 5?

Edited by Black2

Goldeneye

Resi Evil4

I'd imagine those 2 will be in the top 5 as they were my number 1 & 2, I thought Super Mario Allstars would of appeared by now but it seems people picked Mario 3 seperately.

My only pick from the last bunch was Sonic2 and I'm glad it placed so high I still love playing that game now on my Megadrive emulator.