The Super Duper Rugby Union Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm still not quite over the Ireland game Saturday.

It says something that 17 matches undefeated and I still thought we'd go into the game as outsiders because New Zealand show up 3 times every 4 years when they need to, but that final 10 minutes was gut punch after gut punch that Ireland just couldn't find a way through.

It's been a bloody good tournament though outside of some dodgy bunkers. Annoyingly England still being in means my work load next weekend continues to be huge but when the crickets as bad as it's been and the footballs as placid, at least one sport going well is good for the hospitality trade.

• 3 months later...

Incredible game of rugby between Wales and Scotland. 

The effort from Wales to come from 27-0 down after 42 minutes to get to within a point was absolutely incredible. They were rancid in the first half, but a complete turn around in the second, fantastic stuff. Would've loved 10 more minutes of it.

England game was shit as England are shit. Ireland to win it all easily.

Thoroughly enjoyable day of rugby.  

The French Tualangi is an absolute beast, and helped them scratch over the finish line against a game Scotland.

“Shit” England broke the Welsh forwards and then broke Wales.  It’s very exciting new England, still work in progress but the way they played in the last half an hour was tremendous.  

Scoring a try whilst down 2 men kept them in it.

Edited by Loki

14 minutes ago, Loki said:

“Shit” England broke the Welsh forwards and then broke Wales.  It’s very exciting new England, still work in progress but the way they played in the last half an hour was tremendous.  

Yeah credit where credit is due, they were really good in parts today. They still bore me most of the time, but today was a massive improvement. 

The end of the Scotland game was very exciting. In my opinion that ball was down, but I can see why the ref can't give it, as one angle showed it down (IMO) but no others did.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought Scotland v England was a cracker, as always really.

England starter brightly but their handling was atrocious, and the Scots were smart to rack up the points and put the game beyond them.

Ireland v Wales was boring as there was very little competitiveness. 

Had to share this as well. 3:45 in.

Might be the best try I've ever seen.

I know nothing about rugby but - even though the match was in Dublin - Cork was covered in Welsh fans yesterday and they are throughly excellent people. 

• Paid Members

We had the France Italy game on in the pub yesterday, and it turned out to be quite the game. The tension for that final penalty was palpable. Mind you if France hadn't had a man sent off Italy would likely have gotten a right hiding. 

Italy missing the penalty kick in the last seconds of the game due to the ball falling over was just tragic.  They deserved to beat France - and it would have made the whole tournament really interesting!

Not that it affected Garbisi making the kick, but France attempted to charge down that penalty twice. The clock should have been reset and he should have been given another go. I’d have been throwing hands if I were him in that moment.

55 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Not that it affected Garbisi making the kick, but France attempted to charge down that penalty twice. The clock should have been reset and he should have been given another go. I’d have been throwing hands if I were him in that moment.

I thought exactly that, but no pundit mentioned it afterwards so I assumed the rules had changed again on that.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Marcus Smith is an absolute hero. What a game that was. 

I haven't heard Twickenham that excited since they opened the massive Tesco between the stadium and my estate. 

Great rugby.

The people of Twickenham love a Tesco do they?

I’m enjoying watching Wales try to avoid both the wooden spoon and a clean sweep of losses.