The Super Duper Rugby Union Thread

PowerButchi

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Thinking of settling in for this today. Do I need to be wearing some brown shoes with jeans or something? Cans of Timothy Taylor to hand?

Thoroughly enjoyed the Ireland game last week as well, and although I thought England were pretty shit (against a rough looking Aussie team), them vs South Africa should be very decent.

spacer.png

The England game is the only one I have been able to catch today but it was a cracking game with one hell of a finish.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Just now, SuperBacon said:

Blimey, what on earth is happening? Worcester and now Wasps. That is a huge blow for top flight Rugby.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/12/wasps-pull-out-of-exeter-match-and-set-to-enter-administration-within-days

Cov City twitter becomes a bigger cesspool today. 

• 1 month later...

Another great day of rugby!!!

Wales were so unlucky, and played brilliantly well, so that is a gutting defeat.

I can't believe that is only Nawaqanitawase's third game for Australia, he looks an absolute superstar. Such a satisfying name to say as well. 

South Africa were far too strong for England. Find me a sportsman with a more punchable face than Faf de Klerk. You won't be able to.

Brilliant heel though, and what a player.

Will put the brown shoes, mustard chinos and bottles of Tribute away until the Six Nations now! 

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Wales were so unlucky

I’d say useless rather than unlucky. Some absolutely baffling decisions made, like taking off AWJ and Faletau during Tipuric’s yellow card. Just utterly thick as fuck.

I read earlier than this is the biggest lead we’ve had that we’ve gone on to blow. 21 point lead that we spaffed away. The largest before today was 17 points.

Apparently the WRU have held talks about bringing Gatland back until the World Cup, bring it on. Goodbye Pivac you useless shit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy jeans and shoes day to those that celebrate! May your Timothy Taylor's be cold, and your chinos mustard.

I have to say, Wales vs Ireland* and England vs Scotland is a cracking way to kick it all off.

Wales are under pressure, what with their incredibly bad Autumn Internationals series, the WRU clusterfuck at present and those worrying comments Gatland made about that upcoming Netflix series. But the Welsh crowd are always a decent factor and might inspire the team. Can't see beyond a fairly comprehensive Irish win though.

Then England, with their new manager and rejigged squad. Again, didn't have an amazing Autumn series and Borthwick will want to start with a statement win. Always a good game, this should be a cracker.

I'm off to iron my Crew Clothing shirt and see what casual racist slurs are in vogue.

*Hilariously, my ex and the girls are in Cardiff for the weekend. "Will it be busy?" she asked. 

Yeah, probably a bit. 

• 7 months later...

Apparently the World Cup starts tonight!

It's shocking really isn't it that the second biggest sport in this country (maybe cricket is actually) and no one knows there is a World Cup on. It was only because my old man reminded me about a week ago that it was on that I knew.

The pool stage lasts a MONTH, so it's far too long already and no one knows or cares really, but it's a live sport world cup, which is always good.

One of the Rugby lovers in my football group chat said "I've hardly seen anythung about the World Cup. If it was football it would be everywhere" No shit Sherlock. 

England have been the drizzling shits since Borthwick took over and I cannot stand watching them anymore, which is a shame as I love watching Marcus Smith.

I genuinely reckon they will struggle to get out the group. I hope Wales smash them.

I think South Africa will win it, but obviously I will be backing Namibia and Chile as the hipsters choice.

I will make this joke often, but I'm off to brush up on my casual racism, learn the current Cabinets name and get some Timothy Taylors in. Oh, I need to iron my mustard chinos as well.

Here's hoping France vs New Zealand is a belter.