The Super Duper Rugby Union Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Anyone what the utter shite that was Italy vs England today? Fucking tragic. Brian Moore was the best thing about the game, and also marked the first time I didn't want to punch him in the fucking mouth. His singing of the circus song after another "Top Drawer" Bergamasco pass was gold.

Wales are going to twat the sweaties tomorrow however, and thus right the world of Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Anyone else have an interest?

Edited by ButchReedMark

Yeah, am watching Ireland peeing all over france at the mo 20-10 to the irish, should be fun

England needs a shake up and get away from the old boy network. we have been going backwards since we won the world cup in 2003.. not playing to our strengths and gone to horrible 'kick and hope for the best' rugby... not picking most of the squad from leceister, wasps and bath et al, just cos they are 'the boys' would be a start

• Moderators

I think Johnson moving Shitriani to the A team was a good move. Goode is a more than dependable Outside Half, even if he is possibly the fattest fucker ever to pull a ten over his breasts for England.

Glaws have some decent English players at present, don't they?

England were playing piss poor, and there were times where Italy looked red hot. But obviously England made up in taking advatage of mistakes. Not something to be thrown away. However, England will have to play alot better against the rest of the sides.

Ireland and France was brilliant game and great to see Ireland come out on top.

Can't wait for Wales Scotland tomorrow. C'mon Wales

It's scary seeing Ireland play because it shows me just what quality England will have to face and that's before the Welsh even start. Also the French don't slouch about for anyone so seeing as England just managed to slog a result out against Italy it's a little worrying.

Oh Frank I love the signiture :D

Edited by FireBrand

Italy and England were woeful today. Any other team in the competition should have put have put 40 points on either of them, had they played them competing at that standard.

The Wales-England match next week will be an interesting test of where England really are right now - were they shit because they figured they could do the minimum and beat Italy or are they just plain bad. Cipriani not being in the squad was a good move - I don't get why he's being groomed for greatness when he just isn't that good a player. Obviously Wilkinson's shoes are big to fill, but still.

On the subject of hype, there's a lot of hype on Wales though, a flattering amount to be honest. I hope that unlike 2006 they aren't resting on their laurels from a previous year. (And that Gatland plays Jones ahead of James "I turnover possession 95% of the time but people jizz over the 5% decent work I do" Hook)

I think James Hook is a decent kicker, but i'm not in love with the guy. Or Shane Williams, for every one time he gets through the defense line there are ten when he gets put down quickly. The best person in the Wales team in my humble opinion is Lee Byrne. The guy is incredible when he's on and that's 95% of the time.

But i don't think we can count out Scotland guys. They have some strong players and good defensive line. It will not be like England Italy today.

I think James Hook is a decent kicker, but i'm not in love with the guy. Or Shane Williams, for every one time he gets through the defense line there are ten when he gets put down quickly. The best person in the Wales team in my humble opinion is Lee Byrne. The guy is incredible when he's on and that's 95% of the time.

But i don't think we can count out Scotland guys. They have some strong players and good defensive line. It will not be like England Italy today.

Spot on - Lee Byrne is arguably the best fullback in the world right now. Not with you completely regarding Shane - a player whose hype precedes him but although he gets put down 9 times out of 10, he doesn't turn over possession in doing so, unlike Hook. Hence Shane's chances are worth the gamble as they will eventually lead to some highlight-reel moment whereas Hooks chances tend to lead to loss of possession.

Shame Henson doesn't handle our long-range kicking because he was phenomenal a few seasons ago (i.e. v England in 2005) but has shied away since. For me, Stephen Jones is still way ahead of Hook in all aspects of the game but you can see the merit of bringing Hook on at 60 minutes for some expansive play versus a tiring opposition

Historically, Scotland at home tend to fare well against Wales. Their Autumn games showed a lot more flair than the conservative play of the last 6 Nations (where they only scored 3 tries in 5 games, the lowest try scorers of the tournament and narrowly avoided the spoon) and they held world champs South Africa at half time only to go down 10-14 by the end. Good in defence, massively improving offence - Wales are in trouble.

• Moderators

Gatland has taken Hook for what he is, 20 inutes of inspiration. Jones last autumn put his hand up as the best NH Outside half, and he is. He controls a game brillinatly.

Also, Henson isn't too much of a loss, insomuch as 1/2p is an attacking, strong defensive player who can kick... And he's a winger! As long as our Lineout holds I don't see a problem.

But yes. Byrne is the best Full Back in the NH by a country mile. No matter what the Tabloids claim about Armatige. After all, they claimed Shitriani could play.

• Paid Members

Italy/England was a woeful excuse for a game of rugby, both teams were abysmal.

what the hell were Italy thinking putting Bergamasco at scrum half? that's gonna go down in history as one of the worst decisions/performances in history.

• Paid Members
Italy/England was a woeful excuse for a game of rugby, both teams were abysmal.

what the hell were Italy thinking putting Bergamasco at scrum half? that's gonna go down in history as one of the worst decisions/performances in history.

And it doesn't help that it took so long for them to bloody change it either. He's a horrible horrible scrum-half, and at least thankfully we'll never see him in that position again.