The Super Duper Rugby Union Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

England's team to play the 2010 Grand Slam winners.

England: D Armitage (London Irish); M Cueto (Sale Sharks), M Tait (Sale Sharks), R Flutey (Brive), U Monye (Harlequins); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), D Hartley (Northampton), D Wilson (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Saracens, capt), J Haskell (Stade Francais), L Moody (Leicester), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: S Thompson (Brive), D Cole (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), S Armitage (London Irish), P Hodgson (London Irish), T Flood (Leicester), B Foden (Northampton).

The best team England probably could put out considering, and it's vital Wilkinson bosses the game from 10 and doesn't play as deep as he normally would.

"And Johnson hinted that his side will adopt a positive approach against Wales at Twickenham. " - ROFL!

• Paid Members

I'm glad Cole's made the 22, he destroyed Payne in the scrum when we played Wasps a few weeks back. Wouldn't be smart to stick him in ahead of Payne straight away given their relative international experience (I find that lots always beats none in that respect), but it's good to have him in the squad. The experience will do him good. Hope he gets 10, 15 minutes at the end. He could develop into a quality player.

Edited by opcws

England: D Armitage (London Irish); M Cueto (Sale Sharks), M Tait (Sale Sharks), R Flutey (Brive), U Monye (Harlequins); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), D Hartley (Northampton), D Wilson (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Saracens, capt), J Haskell (Stade Francais), L Moody (Leicester), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: S Thompson (Brive), D Cole (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), S Armitage (London Irish), P Hodgson (London Irish), T Flood (Leicester), B Foden (Northampton).

The best team England probably could put out considering, and it's vital Wilkinson bosses the game from 10 and doesn't play as deep as he normally would.

"And Johnson hinted that his side will adopt a positive approach against Wales at Twickenham. " - ROFL!

Fucking hell that's a bit optimistic

That's a pretty good team actually. Jesus Wilkinson v Stephen Jones will be the real contest though, I'd imagine.

• Moderators

Who Wilkinson? He's nowhere near the outside half Jones is.

And in SUPER NEWS Lee Byrne (rightfully) won his appeal, he's going to run at the ten man scum all day. I'm not a fan f Tom James getting the nod ahead of Lee 1/2p though.

Anyway, Grand Slam 2010 team to play the scum:-

Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Tom James (Blues), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets); Gareth Cooper (Blues); Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Gareth Williams (Blues), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Andy Powell (Blues), Martyn Williams (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys, capt).

Replacements: Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Paul James (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Richie Rees (Blues), Andrew Bishop (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues).

It'll be intersting to see Hook at 13, I'd rather him at 12 with SEXY ROBERTS at outside centre, and Hook playing as a second Five Eighth in the southern hemisphere style. I like my 13 to play crash ball, and Hook isn't capable of that in my eyes.

Scotland's team vs the Surrender Monkeys:-

Scotland: Paterson; S Lamont, M Evans, Morrison, T Evans; Godman, Cusiter (capt); Dickinson, Ford, Lowe, Kellock, Hines, K Brown, Beattie, Barclay.

Replacements: S Lawson, Jacobsen, Gray, MacDonald, R Lawson, Grove, Southwell.

It's quite a negative team, but with Andy "10 man rugby" Robinson in charge, I didn't expect any different. I expect the typical Scottish briallance in the line out, mind. I hope Robinson dies prior to Sunday however, and Lamont and Thom Evans are let loose playing the sexy Rugby they are capable of.

SPECIAL FEATURES :-

Flower of Scotland vs England 1990

Mae hen Wlad Fy Nhadau Wales vs Ireland 2005 sang by Katherine "Milkers" Jenkins, Max "Hymns and Ariahs" Boyce and Charlotte "Fat Ugly Slag" Church -

Edited by ButchReedMark

That team doesnt inspire me tbh. Me and rugby have had a falling out that started not long after the last World Cup if I'am honest, its got so bad iam only half following Gloucester this season.

Englands Insistance to play the most boring dull as Fuck rugby which is so predictable its untrue... kick, rush yawn,.... Sorry passing was in there somewhere I think

No one stands out any more. some of the players are just making up the numbers and as a Rugby nation we seem to be going backwards The players are mainly the same mash of Ex or current Leciester, Northampton, Bath, Harlequins and Wasps players as usual. The names on the team sheet may differ over time but the nucleus of the England team is ALWAYS made up from the Old Boys teams.

Play in a certain way and get found out, a lot recently it would appear

I dunno much as it pains me to say it Woodward had England playing Champagne Rugby at times, that though was 7 years ago.. since then Robinson Ashton have just messed it up.

PFFT

• Paid Members
Lee Byrne (rightfully) won his appeal

Yeah, even as a Tigers fan I thought the ban was pretty harsh. He had to have noticed that someone didn't come off, but it's always going to be difficult to know what to do about it on the spur of the moment, and it's more down to the officials and the coaches to take care of it, really. Fines are much more appropriate than bans in such a situation.

Anyway, on to Saturday - it's gonna be a tense one all round for me. Tigers really need a win against Northampton to get through in the LV Cup (which we're fully capable of but I'm always nervous when it comes down to the wire like this), and looking at the teams (and knowing from painful experience the quality and form of the Ospreys players, in particular) it's gonna be a tough day out for England. Ah, it wouldn't be worth watching if it didn't cause one to be bricking one's self once in a while.

• Paid Members

Apologies for the ol' double-post faux pas. Decent-ish win for England today, we had some nice ideas going forward but ultimately there was a lot of luck on our side. Danny Care pulled out some nice stuff and Haskell was a deserving Man of the Match. Still, I'm not convinced we're title-winning material, let alone Grand Slam... time will tell.

Ireland vs Italy was alright. I was somewhat annoyed by the pundits insisting that Ireland weren't playing to their full potential - why would they when they were winning at half-pace? They picked up a victory with little effort because they knew they could get away with it, and saved up plenty of energy for France next week.

Gutted that Tigers lost today too. I believe to get through, we need Newport to beat Saracens tomorrow without Sarries getting a bonus point. Not hugely optimistic.

England ground out a well deserved win, not pretty in places but showing idea going forward and proved too much for Wales. I'm happy with the performance today, it's better to win ugly than lose with grace. Wales suffered from ill discipline and if they don't get a cap on it will cost them a lot this year.

• Paid Members
Thats gutting. The one thing you can usually count on us for is defence. Shocking to lose that kind of lead.

It was pretty amazing for you to get such a lead in the first place. Discipline was the main thing that let you down today, otherwise that was a thoroughly impressive Scottish performance. Some really sharp attacking in the first half, especially. Can't understand why that last restart wasn't just booted straight into touch, though.

• Paid Members

What an amazing meltdown from Scotland! I'm glad we won but I don't think we really deserved it, and I'm worried that everyone will just paper over the cracks again though. A great ending to the game though, and am always glad when we win, deserved or not.

Why the hell are they covering an incident in a fucking completely different sport in the Ireland-France coverage; they don't mention Maradona when England play Argentina in rugby

Edited by tom