The Super Duper Rugby Union Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Looking forward to the game tonight. they played Land of our fathers on Talksport this morning and it gave me chills. Should be phenomonal with 70,000 pissed up Welshies bellowing it out with the roof closed.It's easily the most amazing noise in sport.

Come on England, fuck 'em up!

• Moderators

I was hoping this thread would be ignored this year, as we're going to get fucking mullered. I don't fancy our front row whatsover, so it's going to be important for our 2nd and back rows to secure some quality ball at the breakdown, as our set piece will be shat.

I don't think Wales are inherently bad, they just lack a certain spark. Some players have seen better days, some aren't ready yet. England are always three men away from a good side. The pack looks very good, as do the half backs and the back three. Then you have Hape and Tindall. Tindall's been around, he's a battering ram and what he does works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't but I'm not sold on Hape. We've spent so long looking for the replacement for Wilkinson and, more pressingly, Matt Dawson's natural successor and I think with Youngs' emergence and Flood's vast improvement, we're looking good at 9 and 10. Now it's 12 and 13.

• Moderators

It's not being inherently bad, it's just that our terrible lack of strength in depth is exposed whenever more than 3 people are injured at anyone time. No real problems with the backs (although I suppose I'd have played Byrne on the wing, he's done alright there, if we want to accommodate all 3 J. Davies, Roberts and Hook).

• Moderators
Even with the team fully fit, it's not a team that looks like it will win things.

That much is true. I'm hoping for a semi in the WC (If England can get to the final playing how they did in '07 it's more than possible), and that starts now. We need some more props to put their hands up, because we look a bit lost in the set piece without the Lions Front Row, and don't get me started on Huw "Shit" Bennett.

Gatland and his ninth rate "Mind Games" don't help either. He should keep schtum.

Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members
England are always three men away from a good side. The pack looks very good, as do the half backs and the back three. Then you have Hape and Tindall. Tindall's been around, he's a battering ram and what he does works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't but I'm not sold on Hape. We've spent so long looking for the replacement for Wilkinson and, more pressingly, Matt Dawson's natural successor and I think with Youngs' emergence and Flood's vast improvement, we're looking good at 9 and 10. Now it's 12 and 13.

I think the fact that said 9/10 pairing play together at club level helps enormously too. Youngs and Flood are both tremendous in their own right, and having them play together almost every week means that by now, they know each other's strengths inside out.

Centre-wise, Tindall is still ace on his day, but it's at the point where you have to wonder how many days he's got left. He could prove to be a fairly viable World Cup prospect over the next few games, but I'd much, much rather have us using this tournament to groom someone new for that position - but then, who?

The future looks a touch brighter at 12 and 13, though. As much as I hate to crow about Tigers guys constantly, Manu Tuilagi and Billy Twelvetrees have looked great for us this season and linked up well for the Saxons last week. Obviously both guys are far from being the finished article, but they've both amassed some big-game experience and Manu in particular could be worth a gamble as injury cover for the World Cup. I mean for god's sake, Georgia are in our group, surely a guy who's running in tries in the Heineken Cup can put one or two past them.

EDIT: As I was going to say before I got caught up rambling, I'll be down at Tigers tonight (wouldn't bother if I didn't have a season ticket, the LV Cup's basically a reserve run-out for us this year), will Wales/England be on iPlayer?

Edited by opcws

Come on England, all the childish taunting from the also rans, time to get the cane out of the cupboard and put the extremities back where they belong.

Edit - I'm not a coach. So the comparison falls flat.

Edit 2: And that's exactly what they did, a clinical, well worked and strong performance from England, still not as technically sound as I'd like and they fell into Wales spoiler tactics too many times, but left with a solid win, thoroughly deflating Wales and a well needed morale boost. Great going, excellent match, how that welsh fellow didn't walk for that trip though is disgraceful.

Edited by Yoghurt