The Super Duper Rugby Union Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

SUPER MIKE TINDALL! Is he really going to be wearing the armband at the WC? If so... I dunno what to say. Amazed to see Wigglesworth getting so many chances over the past few weeks, but I've hardly seen him since he played for Sale so he's probably come on leaps and bounds since then.

Ā 

As regards Warburton as Welsh captain, I'm happy with that. He's really stepped up this past year, and has been a fine captain this summer leading by example with his strong performances. I'm annoyed Gareth Delve isn't on the plane though, or even got a chance in the warm ups for that matter. Didn't even get a run out this summer, and he's been pulling up trees with his performances in the SH this season by all accounts. Should have given him some game time, as he's a "Proper" number 8.

• Paid Members
SUPER MIKE TINDALL! Is he really going to be wearing the armband at the WC? If so... I dunno what to say. Amazed to see Wigglesworth getting so many chances over the past few weeks, but I've hardly seen him since he played for Sale so he's probably come on leaps and bounds since then.

Ā 

Lewis Moody will probably be captaining when he's fit. So, uh, yeah, probably Tindall. Who, by the way, needs two more caps to become England's most capped centre EVER. Which is a touch terrifying. Hopefully Tuilagi tears it up and a viable, consistent, hard-working 12 turns up somewhere before the Six Nations (*coughAnthonyAllencough*).

Ā 

I wouldn't be surprised if they give Wigglesworth and Simpson 40 minutes each on Saturday. Danny Care, now injured, has had the lion's share of game time at 9 in the warm-ups, and with questions over Youngs being fit for Argentina, Wigglesworth and Simpson desperately need a run-out. Hopefully one of them will be on decent form.

Edited by opcws

• Paid Members

Ireland team for Saturday:

Ā 

15 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester)

14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)

12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)

11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)

9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)

1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)

2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)

3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)

4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)

5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) Captain

6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)

7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Ā 

Replacements:

16 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)

17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)

18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)

19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

20 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)

21 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)

22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Ā 

Ā 

This has gotta be the first time Murphy's played against Wilkinson in years. Murphy's been absolutely phenomenal under the high ball for Tigers the last couple of seasons. Seeing how he deals with Wilkinson's kicking game will be very, very interesting.

Edited by opcws

• Paid Members

Solid stuff from England today, then. Tuilagi's try and his break before half-time showed what a threat he is when he spots a gap, and his tackling was fantastic too. I thought Wigglesworth and (surprisingly) Tindall had really good games too.

Ā 

Wilkinson, however, was patchy for me, despite his goal-kicking being spot-on as ever.. I thought giving Flood a mere 6 minutes was ridiculous, but he was up there getting stuck in at the breakdown straight away. Clearly playing with a fire in his belly. Needed more time to stake his claim for the 10 shirt.

Ā 

I'm fairly confident of England going 100% in the pool stage now. Our pack should handle Argentina's just fine, and I think we're developing a backline that will be able to do enough to see off the rest of the pool. But we'll see. It does seem to go between extremes week by week with England these days.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeh, quality day. The opening minute try set the scene really and Ireland consistently made mistakes, Sexton had a mare.Ā 

Cool experience to witness them win the Grand Slam live too.

Ā 
Edited by Egg Shen

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thinking of settling in for this today. Do I need to be wearing some brown shoes with jeans or something? Cans of Timothy Taylor to hand?

Thoroughly enjoyed the Ireland game last week as well, and although I thought England were pretty shit (against a rough looking Aussie team), them vs South Africa should be very decent.

spacer.png