What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Black Out was pretty good last night. One off drama about what would happen if there was a collosal national grid failure. Threads like in tone, but not as harrowing in the end but a nice use of mobile phone footage shakey cam and gave a good impression of what would happen as society disintegrated. Worth a shot on 4OD or something

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Why is it always Sheffield in these things.?Threads, Last Train and now Black Out. Do TV writers really hate the place that much?

I thought it was laughably bad. People hijacking cars and blowing things up and rioting after like 3 or 4 days. What kind of lunatic drains the water from a radiator after a day?

• Moderators
Black Out was pretty good last night. One off drama about what would happen if there was a collosal national grid failure. Threads like in tone, but not as harrowing in the end but a nice use of mobile phone footage shakey cam and gave a good impression of what would happen as society disintegrated. Worth a shot on 4OD or something

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Why is it always Sheffield in these things.?Threads, Last Train and now Black Out. Do TV writers really hate the place that much?

I thought it was laughably bad. People hijacking cars and blowing things up and rioting after like 3 or 4 days. What kind of lunatic drains the water from a radiator after a day?

I didn't see it, but it would take half a day, at best, before society went completely mental if there was some sort of incident. Look at Hurricane Katrina or the London riots. Three days without power, and you'd be fending off the cannibals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

As a lover of sitcoms woeful and wonderful is The Larry Sanders Show worth my time? Iv'e pretty much rinsed all the major ones and only TLSS and Taxi remain, can't say I know anything about the show or Garry Shandling though. He strikes me as being quite similar to Jerry Seinfeld?

• Awards Moderator

I love Dave Gorman's new show, Modern Life Is Goodish. He's found a way to get his recent PowerPoint standup on TV and his circular observations are superbly delivered. The Boris Bike T&Cs were excellent.

EDIT: oh and Taxi's excellent. It has dated in the sense that it's 'morality tale of the week' but it's worth it for DeVito, Lloyd and Kaufman alone. And the theme~!

Edited by Black2

• Moderators

I absolutely hated Taxi when I was younger. I tried to get in to it purely because it was in that late night spot on Paramount when there was fuck all else on telly (and Paramount was the channel I watched 90% of the time anyway), but I just found it boring and unfunny.

Shit, thinking about it, back to that Mastermind thread we had where I couldn't think of a topic.... bam! Paramount TV scheduling during the late 90s.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Perversely, even though I cringe at the representations of the north east in things like Geordie Shore and the muppets from up here who get on Big Brother these days, I've really enjoyed this series of Bouncers. The shot of some lad last night inadvertently holding a mortal fat lass in what looked like a guillotine choke/DDT setup while trying to prop her up had me howling. Plus 'The Spectre' from Ian's thread about local tramps turned up!

• Paid Members
I love Dave Gorman's new show, Modern Life Is Goodish. He's found a way to get his recent PowerPoint standup on TV and his circular observations are superbly delivered. The Boris Bike T&Cs were excellent.

Agree with this. Started off poorly, but I gave it a chance and by the end I was loving it. I loved the way he weaved all the threads throughout the show. He's a bit hit and miss sometimes, but I think this is the best thing he's done for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, Eastbound and Down season 4 started on HBO on Sunday and my (spoileriffic) opinion is that...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's goodish. It seems just like a set up for the rest of the series so I can understand it not being great. The last 5 minutes when he became the Kenny of old again and went mad at the rental place was awesome though. Shame he's back on the coke after Shane Dogg died though!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I recently started watching Once Upon a Time after a friend insisted I see it. I got all of the first series from Lovefilm and am now hooked. I've ordered season 2 off the internet but can anyone tell me where I can download series 3 online? It started in the US on Sunday but I'm useless with downloading stuff and have no idea what to do so would appreciate an idiot's guide please. Thanks in advance!