What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Under the Dome on Channel 5 has got "Great concept, good pilot, unexplained mystery/conspiracy, plot goes to shit, no resolution" written all over it. Giving it a go for now, but the scars of Flash Forward are still there.

Oh, God, get out now while you still can. This is the single worst adaptation of any property, ever. They've taken so little from the book, other than the actual concept of being under a dome, they might as well pretend they're adapting something else entirely. The book Big Jim is King's most despicable character of all time, but the TV version is shit, like everything else. It's a show made for absolute dunces too, with everything spelled out three fucking times in case you didn't get it.

They're also clearly terrified of offending anyone. Witness the transition from the book's "Sixty-something retired teacher and his twenty-something girlfriend" characters into a mixed race lesbian couple. And count the amount of times people ask "Two moms? You have two moms?" They turned the meth-addicted radio DJ into a 1990s Lenny Kravitz, and the Big Jim-owned religious radio station into Alt Rock, in case religious people get in a huff. Fuck this fucking committee-led bullshit show. It could have been great.

I gave up at Episode 3 after a particularly clunky piece of exposition dialogue (The Wire has indeed spoiled all TV) so had a quick look on Wikipedia to see what happens in the rest of the series.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

A second, smaller dome. That glows pink. And is operated by four bloody hands. What the actual fuck?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I have a feeling my wife, who loves those kind of 'catch a new bad guy this week' shows as well as superhero films, is going to be all over this. I will probably hate it and get the right hump whenever I have to sit through it. Like with fucking Arrow. Christ, what a load of shite that was/is.

• Paid Members

I think I might have to mainline Rescue Remedy to get me through it, Si!

In all seriousness, though, isn't a Whedon TV series usually a massive event? I thought I would have heard about this before now.

Jesus, Dollhouse. That was poor. I may go back and watch The Avengers again though, get myself in the mood.

I recently caught up with Thor and Captain America, and thought they were both pretty fun. Marvel has so got its shit together - converging storylines, shared casting, fun and not too serious stories. So my hopes for this series are relatively high, despite Whedon's variable tv output.

Black Out was pretty good last night. One off drama about what would happen if there was a collosal national grid failure. Threads like in tone, but not as harrowing in the end but a nice use of mobile phone footage shakey cam and gave a good impression of what would happen as society disintegrated. Worth a shot on 4OD or something

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Why is it always Sheffield in these things.?Threads, Last Train and now Black Out. Do TV writers really hate the place that much?