What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Is anyone else finding this seasons Big Bang Theory a little disappointing? seems to have hit a wall.

Definitely, I'm a firm believer that TV shows almost always get worse after the 3rd series, BBT has been awful this season, Sheldon's gone from being an out of place awkward genius to just being a fucking weirdo.

The Bully episode was by far the worst episode they have ever put out. I also noticed Penny loses her cleavage as the seasons go on. Very disappointing.

2nd episode of Eastbound & Down was brilliant. Will Ferrells Ric Flair, Homo erotic plantation owner stuff was hilarious.

Always reminds me to go to Youtube for the in my plums outtakes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykuTKwbRwF0

Let the boy watch!

• Paid Members
Is anyone else finding this seasons Big Bang Theory a little disappointing? seems to have hit a wall.

Definitely, I'm a firm believer that TV shows almost always get worse after the 3rd series

Nah, most series, especially US ones, are only getting into their stride at that point - see Seinfeld, Frasier, Roseanne, Cheers and others. All of them got REALLY good at series 3.

• Paid Members

I've started watching 'Arrested Development' after it being widely praised on here (thanks Netflix). I'm only halfway through the first season, it's good but it's not blowing me away so far. Maybe I was expecting more but it's pretty much a standard US sitcom, albeit a good one. It's certainly not impressed me the same way Curb or Eastbound & Down did.

• Paid Members
I think the last few episodes of season 1 are where it really steps up a notch and then season 2 is just amazing from episode 1 untill the very end of the show.

Yeah I'd agree with that. A lot of its strengths are in the running jokes. Stick with it definitely.

I've started watching 'Arrested Development' after it being widely praised on here (thanks Netflix). I'm only halfway through the first season, it's good but it's not blowing me away so far. Maybe I was expecting more but it's pretty much a standard US sitcom, albeit a good one. It's certainly not impressed me the same way Curb or Eastbound & Down did.

Really? A standard sitcom? That's what I liked about it, that it totally wasn/t a standard sitcom. It wasn't filmed in front of an audience, it was clearly heavily improvised rather than scripted, it's family was utterly disfunctional (a nod to the Bundys, sure), it was constantly referring to its artificial nature as a tv series... Plus obviously all the storylines are unlike anything I'd seen in a sitcom before, with the possible exception of Seinfeld.

Also, Maybe :love:

Edit: if you're not through the first series yet, then perhaps it's not really started to bite, as the lads above say.

Edited by Loki

The Hotel on Channel 4 is TV gold! Mark has that Alan Patridgeness about him :)

Strangely enough that hotel has had an increase in bookings because of it being on the show. I know the camera crew were there for nearly 4 months all told filming people

Definitely, I'm a firm believer that TV shows almost always get worse after the 3rd series

Nah, most series, especially US ones, are only getting into their stride at that point - see Seinfeld, Frasier, Roseanne, Cheers and others. All of them got REALLY good at series 3.

Mind those ones you mention (with the probable exception of Roseanne) are on a different planet to the Big Bang Theory in terms of quality. BBT's characters aren't believable or rounded enough to last such a distance, and the idea that Penny would not just shag a wretch like Leonard, but end up mooning over the little freak for series after series just seems sillier the longer the storyline goes on.

Edited by Magnum

• Paid Members
I have just started watching the increasingly poor decisions of todd margaret on Netflix. It fills my quota of lots of swearing

and a bit of slapstick violence. Anyone else caught this? David Cross, Will Arnett and Neil from the Inbetweeners. Its ok, nothing

exciting but so far so good...worth sticking with it?

Watched the first season on Netflix a couple of months ago, now waiting for season two to stop running, so I can watch it all. It's okay, that's the perfect description. I live David Cross a lot, Will Arnett thus far is just doing his GoB schtick, the Irish woman is annoying but suits it, and I hate the cunt from the Inbetweeners, although I know I'm supposed to. I think his performance is dire. I think it's at its best actually when Cross is interacting with the wonderful Sara Pascoe.

I'm glad House is finishing as this season has been shit.

I haven't watched this week's episode but yeah, it's been that way for a while. The series before was pretty hit and miss. I've always maintained that the only appropiate way to end House is to finally kill him off. But I don't think they will.