What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

It's not a new cast every week. It's the same idea as American Horror Story. New story every season.

This season revolves around a serial killer, and the story of the two detectives who took the case first time around and the questioning of those detectives years later. The story of the detectives takes centre stage a lot of the time, which is good because Harrelson and McConaughey are on the form of their lives.

Just watched the latest episode of True Detective. Fucking hell! If you aren't watching this you need to get on it. The final 10 minutes of this was one of the most tense, badass, crazy action sequences I have ever seen. It was so tense it felt like it was an hour long. Amazing stuff we're getting on TV these days.

That last sequence was done in a single take as well, didn't notice at the time (I think thats the mark of great use of a directorial 'gimmick' you only notice the effect it's having first time you watch as opposed to noticing what they're actually doing) but worked so well in terms of building this fantastically tense, nerve-wrecking scene (especially noteable when given the framing device of the show you'd expect certain scenes to be less tense). Show is really something else, if it keeps this up (and I guess depending how well they keep the quality year to year) it's quickly going to be one of *those* shows everyone bangs on about (and with good reason)..

• Paid Members
That last sequence was done in a single take as well

It is meant to look like one single take but there is definitely a cut halfway through to another take. So it's a minimum of two takes but they might have snuck a third in there at some point. Still great though.

Having been pretty late to the Breaking Bad bandwagon I'd been putting off the last season for months, I'm not good with good byes. The last epidode, or season in fact is so completely sad. The whole experience of watching Walter White transform from 1-5 is so excellently done and I don't know if there'll ever be a more believable unbelievable bad guy in a show.

That last sequence was done in a single take as well

It is meant to look like one single take but there is definitely a cut halfway through to another take. So it's a minimum of two takes but they might have snuck a third in there at some point. Still great though.

According to the director it was a single take, there are two moments where cuts could be done (I'm guessing where it pans up to the helicopter in the sky and one where it goes through the washing on a line) which they put in there in case they needed them - but supposedly (*supposedly*) they didn't need them.

As you said though, it doesn't really matter - regardless it was an amazing scene (one I feel is going to be referred to a lot both in the context of this show as it's popularity inevitably grows and quality television in 2014)

Edited by organizedkaos

Having been pretty late to the Breaking Bad bandwagon I'd been putting off the last season for months, I'm not good with good byes. The last epidode, or season in fact is so completely sad. The whole experience of watching Walter White transform from 1-5 is so excellently done and I don't know if there'll ever be a more believable unbelievable bad guy in a show.

Don't worry pal, I was late to the party to. Blasted through the full thing in a about 3 months. My wife went from wanting Walt to get away with it to completely hating him and wanting him to not get away with and really feeling for Jesse. The second that Bad Finger - Baby Blue started playing I was a gonna, I fucking love that song.

Have you seen the documentary No Half Measures: Creating The Final Season Of Breaking Bad yet? It was included in the Complete BluRay boxset, but if you look around the torrent sites you can find it there. Run time of 2hrs 15mins, and is packed full of great behinds the scenes stuff

Edited by KingOfMetal

No, there's a doc on netflix though so I'll check that out at some point. The bit that really got me for some reason was the phone call with Walt jr (fuck Flynn) and the little bit with Holly. Bryan Cranston is fantastic and hopefully he stays busier than he was when Malcom in the Middle ended, he was easily the best thing in that show as well.