UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Ah fair one, must have got my wires crossed from whatever I read a while back. It would have been bafflingly odd to intend to put Joe on Superstars

So with Wrestle Kingdom 11 on the horizon, as well as catching up on this year's New Japan, I'd like to watch one or two of the best January 4th shows. I've seen Wrestle Kingdoms 7-10, what are the best cards prior to that? And prior to it being called Wrestle Kingdom as well

Also, would all of them be on NJPW-World?

Actually, got a second related question too. For people who followed this year's G1 climax, what are 10-20 of the top matches from there? I'd like to be able to see a decent chunk of what Kenny Omega did in particular, rather than skip straight to the mega-hyped Naito match.

Edited by sj5522

So with Wrestle Kingdom 11 on the horizon, as well as catching up on this year's New Japan, I'd like to watch one or two of the best January 4th shows. I've seen Wrestle Kingdoms 7-10, what are the best cards prior to that? And prior to it being called Wrestle Kingdom as well

Not sure about the latter question, but for the main one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_4_Tokyo_Dome_Show

Can anyone who's got the Goldberg Blu-ray confirm whether his WCW matches have the original music or have they been dubbed with the WWE version?

Just want to brace myself before any crushing disappointment.

• Paid Members

I meant which are the most entertaining highly-recommended shows as a whole? Probably shouldnt have used the word card

Personally I'd watch Wrestle Kingdom 2. There is some filler but the novelty of the TNA guys on the undercard (AJ in the opener especially) is fun and the top two matches are gangbangers - Kurt Angle v Yuji Nagata for Inoki's fake IWGP title and Tanahashi v Nakamura for the REAL belt.

If you go further back..... its got to be Wrestling World 96. Lots of fun on the undercard including Kanemoto vs Liger in the era where New Japan set the standard for Junior matches, and the historically interesting Vader vs Inoki. But the main event is the one... Muto defending the IWGP title against the evil nasty outsider Nobuhiko Takada, this being during the UWFI invasion. Yeah, definitely watch that.

What's Tom Phillips role on Smackdown. I know he sits at the commentary desk and they call him the host of Smackdown but is he actually calling matches?

No, it's bizarre. He doesn't say a word bell to bell. Only during entrances & links.

Honestly no idea what the thinking is behind doing it that way. They seemed to try to install Renee as a host of sorts immediately after the brand split where she did the odd link & some backstage interviews from the pre-show/Talking Smack desk, but it always seemed a bit clunky to me. This way seems more so, though.

So so weird, he kinda sits up against the corner of the desk. Like when you are having christmas dinner and your cousin brings someone unexpected and you didn't plan for it so just sort of cram another plate on the edge of the table. 4 fucking men.

• Paid Members

I might be getting the difference between US cable and network tv wrong but if SmackDown used to be on Network tv and I assume available to a lot more people, how come it never used to get better ratings than Raw?

'Ratings' are not the number of viewers, they are the percentage of homes who are watching the show out of those that have access to the channel.

When it was on Network TV, SmackDown often did get more 'viewers' than Raw on cable, but obviously measured out of a larger available population the 'rating' wasn't as high.

Since it's one of the more obscure ones that don't seem to be around in ebook form, exactly what did Goldberg say about Regal in his book? I know it's something along the lines of him shooting and/or taking liberties in their infamous match.